Harris will be to the DL what James was to the OL: pure MEH. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Harris will be to the DL what James was to the OL: pure MEH.

I really liked the pick at 22. Just don't see 22 as a spot where one can actively search for or expect "greatness".

Harrison Smith
Dont'a Hightower
Clay Matthews
Demaryius Thomas
Dez Bryant
Devin McCourty
Rob Gronkowski
Muhammad Wilkerson
Deandre Hopkins
Xavier Rhodes
Landon Collins

Just a few names of players in the last 10 years drafted #22 or worse ( first few picks in 2nd rd). Yes #22 is a spot you should be getting a great to elite player. Your expectations for this spot should be higher.

Yeah he will be terrible especially now that they've changed the rules to were lineman have to run 40 yards or shuffle from cone to cone to get a sack now...

There are no drills that measure their first step or pass rushing moves/hand and feet quickness for short burst or any other drills that measure success of a lineman. Watch his tape, he is constantly in the backfield and chases runningbacks from the opposite side of the field and tackles them. He will be learning from one of the best pass rushers of the decade in wake which will add to his already pretty complete pass rush moves. He's questionable in the run but come on honestly how many 4-3 d ends are great in pass rush and great in the run? Honestly can't think of any. Let the ends rush and linebackers clean up the run.

Someone telling J-off-her-doll to "watch his tape". That's fresh.

This does not seem like the James pick at all to me...they drafted for need with James. This pick feels like a BPA pick. They could have gotten Lamp at a need at G, but obviously liked Harris better...its been reported they targeted him from day 1.

If Harris does not flourish, it will say more about Griers talent evaluation skills than drafting prowess.

Hehe

I'm ok with the pick, but that's it - he was in the mish mosh list of pass rushers I was hoping we'd select from. Would've preferred a Jordan Willis or Foster as I've already said.....he's got a few things going for him, but I think the FO got enamored with him early and then clung to their original instinct instead of picking it apart....oh well, I sure hope he can contribute double digit sacks in year two....because that's the only type of value we're going to get from him. I don't see him being the complete defensive contributor I think we could have had in either a Foster or Willis....

On to round 2....

Harrison Smith
Dont'a Hightower
Clay Matthews
Demaryius Thomas
Dez Bryant
Devin McCourty
Rob Gronkowski
Muhammad Wilkerson
Deandre Hopkins
Xavier Rhodes
Landon Collins

Just a few names of players in the last 10 years drafted #22 or worse ( first few picks in 2nd rd). Yes #22 is a spot you should be getting a great to elite player. Your expectations for this spot should be higher.
Right; and great and elite are both highly subjective and relative terms, aren't they? Ofc, you will never make me a list with all of the busts over the same period, will you? Applying just a smidgen of conservatism, I would guess that list is at least twice as long?

Regardless, I've said my piece and my final post on the subject of #22 and Harris.

Wasn't talking to him, general statement to this thread and everyone freaking out because he doesn't have sexy combine numbers. I think the reason he was picked can't be seen on tape or in the combine numbers. From all the interviews I've read and his old coaching staff, he seems highly motivated, high character guy which is what the front offense wants. Is he ideal for 22? Maybe not since he might be a part time player for a few years but where he is after only 5 years of playing football is extremely impressive and if our coaching staff seems to think he's the guy then you have to trust them until they show they give us a reason to not believe them. Guy will be placed with wake and anyone with motivation will strive learning from him.

J, have you read the Football Outsider's SackSEER article? I missed it before the draft but I checked it out when I saw we picked a DE. Talk about disheartening...

Who knows though.

Forgot to check it out this year! Checked for it a week or so ago, but it wasn't up. How'd he do?

Harris is a situational pass rusher, that's it. He is a good pass rusher, but not an every down guy. That's not someone you pick at 22. Howeverrrrrr, he's being mentored by Wake and Hayes now. Hopefully they can unleash him

J, have you read the Football Outsider's SackSEER article? I missed it before the draft but I checked it out when I saw we picked a DE. Talk about disheartening...

Who knows though.

Forgot to check it out this year! Checked for it a week or so ago, but it wasn't up. How'd he do?

In a category all by himself.

BUST ALERT

Charles Harris, Missouri

SackSEER Projection: 14.8 Sacks Through Year 5

SackSEER Rating: 17.5%

Every year, SackSEER breaks from conventional wisdom on at least one highly-rated edge rusher, and this year that player is definitely Charles Harris. From a SackSEER perspective, it is hard to see what would justify Harris as a first- or second-round pick, as most analysts project. Harris was not unusually productive, nor was there any spike in production near the end of his college career. Harris had nine sacks in 12 games during his junior year. Those are certainly not horrible numbers, but they are not significantly better than numbers posted by Tyus Bowser, Takkarist McKinley, or Jordan Willis.

Harris is undersized at 253 pounds, but he had a combine more consistent with a 280-pound run-stuffer. Harris was below average in every drill that matters to SackSEER, including a 4.82-second 40-yard dash and a 7.47-second 3-cone time. Why is an undersized edge rusher with vanilla college production and poor workout numbers considered a potential first-round pick? One answer is that he has a good reputation for athleticism despite his poor combine performance. The anecdotal evidence of what a great difference between "perceived" and "measured" athleticism means is mixed. Players such as Carlos Dunlap and Jason Pierre-Paul were lauded as athletic "freaks" who put up mostly average to below-average workout numbers, but nonetheless became strong players. On the other hand, Quinton Coples and Da'Quan Bowers, two players who had reputations as "freakish" athletes, posted poor workout numbers and ultimately had little impact on the NFL level.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/sackseer-2017

Who knows though.

Just checked it. My top five, except Solomon Thomas, are all 91% or better. Harris 17.5% :idk:

Harris is a situational pass rusher, that's it. He is a good pass rusher, but not an every down guy. That's not someone you pick at 22. Howeverrrrrr, he's being mentored by Wake and Hayes now. Hopefully they can unleash him

Yeah because when people talk about guys like Von Miller and Dwight Freeney they talk about how they set the edge and run stop. I guess those guys are situational pass rushers too.....SMH!!

A premium on combine numbers...is a heavy influence on that...his SRAM is as good as Watt, Bowser, Willis, McKinley, Taco...but is hurt because of the poor combine.

Off topic but I noticed lots of teams had already picked up the 5th year option with their 2014 draft picks. When is the deadline for James and will we pick it up?

Off topic but I noticed lots of teams had already picked up the 5th year option with their 2014 draft picks. When is the deadline for James and will we pick it up?

May 3rd

Nursing a hangover, but I like the Charles Harris pick. Seems like the front office did it's research. Harris is a high effort guy and I'll take that over combine numbers any day.

Back
Top Bottom