Hartline agrees to terms with Dolphins | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hartline agrees to terms with Dolphins

At the end of the season, out of all of our free agents , starks and hartline were 1 and 2 on my list. Glad we resigned them both. It's pleasing to know philbin has confidence in hartline to be a major player in his offense. Now lets go get us another wr.

i am totally against this signing. Sorry but i was hopeing with the picks and money we had that we would drastically improve the team not just keep our mediocre players. Well more shoe string tackles and lack of explosive plays from our #2 Wr for years to come. We better Hope we land Wallace or we r in Deep trouble fellas deep deep trouble.

You will not see a highlights of taking it to the house, but you will see a steady diet of the chunk plays that have been a staple of his career. The dude has a 15.0 AVG for his career.

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

At the end of the season, out of all of our free agents , starks and hartline were 1 and 2 on my list. Glad we resigned them both. It's pleasing to know philbin has confidence in hartline to be a major player in his offense. Now lets go get us another wr.

They were 1 and 2 on my list as well.

You think if we sign Wallace/Jennings we won't draft a WR early? I disagree...no excuse not to take a shot at a receiver in the first 2 rounds.

You're not going to draft a receiver to split snaps with Hartline for 5 years. Common sense.

They might risk it and not go get Wallace/Jennings and draft a rookie instead. But im not comfortable with that risk.

i am totally against this signing. Sorry but i was hopeing with the picks and money we had that we would drastically improve the team not just keep our mediocre players. Well more shoe string tackles and lack of explosive plays from our #2 Wr for years to come. We better Hope we land Wallace or we r in Deep trouble fellas deep deep trouble.

Same here man. I went straight to sleep when I saw the news last night. Felt like somebody robbed me lol.
I'm really bummed out. Wanted a much better upgrade at the #2 than Hartline.
And all this money we threw at him?
Like I said, I just feel like somebody robbed me.

Seems like a pretty good contract to me. I haven't seen the numbers but I'd assume that in reality its around a 3 yr 15 mil deal with a cap hit around 3 mil the first season, 4 the next and a decision to be made after the 2nd and third year whether to cut or renegotiate depending on how well hes played.

Its a third the guarantees top WRs are getting and half the total money.....not a bargain but right on line with what hes worth.

"He is a Miami Dolphin and I believe he will work hard to improve each year as he has since coming into the league. He makes some great grabs, and his sideline toe tapping is absolutely beautiful. He has very subtle sneaky route running tricks that get him open, it will only improve with more weapons around him and more development with our young offense, IMO".

This I totally agree with..

Thats unfortunate because I SERIOUSLY doubt they're coming out of the draft with more than 1 wide-receiver. Now, of-course this is assuming they sign Wallace/Jennings! I threw Swope's name in their because of the A&M connection. Now, lets assume Philbin's ideal receiver group make-up ultimately is going to be similar to what GB currently/has had. How does that compare to what we currently have?

Immediately, it tells me Bess doesn't belong! Why? Because pretty much every receiving threat the Packers have CAN score! Bess, IMO is a liability there.

So, I think your more comfortable something like this:

Wallace, K.Allen, Swope, Matthews,Hartline- Yes?

Also, it goes without saying we're going to upgrade the TE position.

wallace keenan allen swope mathews and hartline works great for me...but usually your 5th wr is a key specials contributor so i doubt it would go that route...have a hard time believing right now at least marlon moore for specials is a definite cut...

oh and the final part with this franchise and what i've seen thru the years nothing goes without saying...

wallace keenan allen swope mathews and hartline works great for me...but usually your 5th wr is a key specials contributor so i doubt it would go that route...have a hard time believing right now at least marlon moore for specials is a definite cut...

oh and the final part with this franchise and what i've seen thru the years nothing goes without saying...

I've seen many posts saying that we will not draft just 1 WR but probably 2 in the first few rounds ON TOP of signing Wallace and re-sigining Hartline. Really? I think thats going a bit overboard. Assuming we sign Wallace, my take is that we draft a WR with the second 2nd rounder or one of the 3rds as a developement guy for when Bess leaves next year. Matthews is a solid 4.

We have plenty of needs and after signing Wallace and re-signing Hartline, WR becomes much less of one. Still take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd b/c it's so deep this year, but do NOT take two that early.

You're not going to draft a receiver to split snaps with Hartline for 5 years. Common sense.

They might risk it and not go get Wallace/Jennings and draft a rookie instead. But im not comfortable with that risk.

I certainly think they're going to pursue Wallace/Jennings, but I don't see why they wouldn't continue to try and add depth through the draft especially with the new CBA. Most rookies don't come out and make a huge impact on the field their first year regardless...

fixed??? no...if we add swope i'm one of those that isn't high on him on the boundary but at that size and speed i'm sure anyone who takes him in the top 2 rounds thinks he can help them there...i'd like to upgrade bess in the slot from a playmaking aspect more speed more big play potential i think swope fits the bill but he's got some concussion issues as in multiple in college that could show up early in the pros...

i'd ideally add swope let bess go for a pick if i can pull it off and go get a big body physical win wr with potential in the draft either keenan allen with the top pick who i think would fit this system like a glove or maybe the dobson kid from marshall in the 3rd round...other than mathews in the scenario you presented we would have no one who is a physical player and tackle breaker in the wr core...

it's either that or this team needs to upgrade the te position with a real talent...wallace bess mathews and hartline with our existing guys at te isn't gonna get it done

I think its a pretty safe bet that we'll be upgrading at the TE position, either getting one of the top 3 in the draft or signing one of the top TEs in FA.

Imagine Wallace, Mathews, Hartline, Eifert and Bush out of the backfield. Go ahead, double Wallace and put your best defender on Hartline, watch Eifert and Bush will destroy you.

I'm ok with this signing. I like keeping the continuity with a rookie QB but BH doesn't set the world on fire with his play. He did improve this past year but not to the tune of $30 million. With that said, the market may have dictated that he would get a similar contract elsewhere. The contract does seem a bit high for a player of his pedigree and I would like to see how it is broken down. My guess is as some have projected, based on the amount of guaranteed money, it is a back filled contract with a relatively low cap hit for the first two seasons and then he will either be restructured or released in the third year. Just my speculation of course but if the 3rd year cap bump is significant then that would be the obvious conclusion.

Also, I think that if we do sign Wallace then we will not use our first pick on a WR. That will probably be used (barring a trade down) for the best defensive player or best olineman on the board. We will then most likely draft two WR's between rounds 2 - 3 along with a TE. This draft is very WR deep and a very good wideout can be had in those rounds.

I think it is a fair deal for everyone. He wanted to be here, Tannehill probably wanted him back and he'll be here in this system for OTA's and camp. His little extra money isn't going to make or break us.

i don't have time to read the whole thread. what is the cap hit this year? $2.5 million in the pro-rated signing bonus, plus how much in salary? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom