henning quote------- i hate this man !! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

henning quote------- i hate this man !!

Well we better start throwing more than. The CONSERVATIVE running game is producing way more negative plays than the QB is: 2 fumbles vs 0 INT's.

Reverse psychology maybe? Or was this quote taken out of context?

I think it's the latter. Here is the full quote:

“I don’t worry about how much (Henne) can hurt the other team. I worry about how much he can hurt my team,” said Henning. “We can’t win if we’re throwing interceptions, turning the ball over, fumbling and doing all those, what Tony calls, ‘minus plays.’ We avoid them, we practice avoiding them, but we’re always trying to hit the big play.”

What he's saying is that if a QB hurts his own team that's a bigger factor. I agree. His wording wasn't the best, but I don't think it was a knock on Henne. I think it was meant to convey his philosophy. I'd rather have a QB throw 1 TD with no INT's than a QB that throws 3 TD's with 3 INT's. The former stat will more than likely win the game.

Once you put it in context IMO, its clear that Henning has a conservative philosophy almost a bad as former coach with a really thick mustache.

Ironically, the bit about the QB stats and the photo of Coughlin is hilarious when you consider Eli's stats against Carolina & Henne's versus Minny.

Another classic example of that "Madden" mentality blurring the lines of reality.

In the NFL, 15 pass attempts is often more than enough, especially when you jump out to an early lead.

Moreover, when you have a quarterback with exactly 15 starts under his belt, you have to bring him along slowly.

Lastly, I can guarantee you that as Henne becomes a more experienced quarterback, his share of the workload will increase significantly. In a year or two, throwing 15 passes in a game will become an anomaly.

For now, the coaching staff is doing exactly what they should be doing, bringing Henne along slowly and teaching him how to manage a game and not make mistakes that can cost you a win in a close game (which in the NFL, is quite common).

There will be plenty of time for airing it out in the future.

i just wonder if you - or others - would be saying the same thing if the vikings had managed to score on one of their ample opportunities - the 4th and goal for instance. we start out great in the last two games - moving the chains and scoring on the very first drives - only to what? totally meander away from that approach only to 'protect' a measly lead.

what happens after the vikings score? after an entire game to build a more secure lead - do we leave it up to henne with like a minute left to right the ship? what kind of approach is that?

i don't see the problem with having a great defense and offense. why not both? why do we have to rely on the D to protect leads and manufacture points? i don't get it.

the coaching staff had all last season to hold henne's hand and bring him along slowly. and that's exactly what they did. but this team is ready for the next step. do you want to wait another season of henne being handcuffed by the play calls - only to find out that's their approach anyways? do we really want to test marshall's ego after a few more games of this gutless offense?

people would be singing a much different tune had we lost two close games - that had no reason at all to be that close - instead of winning them. i see the problem - the solution isn't that difficult.

Another classic example of that "Madden" mentality blurring the lines of reality.

In the NFL, 15 pass attempts is often more than enough, especially when you jump out to an early lead.

Moreover, when you have a quarterback with exactly 15 starts under his belt, you have to bring him along slowly.

Lastly, I can guarantee you that as Henne becomes a more experienced quarterback, his share of the workload will increase significantly. In a year or two, throwing 15 passes in a game will become an anomaly.

For now, the coaching staff is doing exactly what they should be doing, bringing Henne along slowly and teaching him how to manage a game and not make mistakes that can cost you a win in a close game (which in the NFL, is quite common).

This team is built to win now.When do you suggest Henning take the training wheels off and see if Henne is the fixture as the starter?

Yes we are 2-0 but why should both of those games come down to wire to decide the winner.Henning had the oppurtunities to put both games away but instead played his typical conservative BS.

2hxr803-1.jpg

Yeah....if its 1975. Which its not. An earyl lead??? It's not like we had them 24-0...it was 7-0...that's it.

You only throw 15 passes in this league if you have no faith in your QB (See Sanchize at end of last year...), you don't have the ball enough to do very many plays, or you are running the hell out of the ball, or your OC sucks.

We were running the ball acceptably, but not enough to just quit throwing. We only had 14 pts. You don't go into shutdown mode with 14 points. Hell, we went into shutdown mode with 7 points. We were playing the Vikings...I wouldn't exaclty be standing pat when your playing the Vikings. We got very lucky with some big goalline stands, or else we lose.

So either they are afraid of Henne...or Henning sucks. I will go with Henning sucks.

This team is built to win now.When do you suggest Henning take the training wheels off and see if Henne is the fixture as the starter?

Yes we are 2-0 but why should both of those games come down to wire to decide the winner.Henning had the oppurtunities to put both games away but instead played his typical conservative BS.

Not to mention the conservative BS was resulting in turnovers anyway. I'd rather see a pick 20 pr 30 yards down field than a fumble at our own 1. That funble was critical as it changed what the Vikings could do. Brett Favre was not going to beat us but AP is always capable of doing so. Ricky's fumble ended up cutting the lead to 7 and allowing the Vikes to go back to their running game which almost beat us. Are passing game has to be better, whether it's lack of confidence in the QB or just bad playcalling, I'm not sure. Henne's been better as he was doing very well at times towards the end of 2009 but he also just about always had a pick in those games as well.

A lot of people like to bring up the Saints game when trying to come up for reasons to fire Henning. We lost to the Saints for one reason, TURNOVERS. This is the reason we lost most of our games last season. Turnovers and our defense sucked A**. We don't "lose" games because of Henning. You would have to be a complete moron if you believed that considering the fact that we have a 18-3 record with Henning as OC, when our opponents score less than 27 points in a game. Two losses were season openers in 08', 09', and in the other one we lost our starting QB.

I know that puts us at 2-12 when our opponents score 27 or more points, but aside from this season what options have we had on offense. It's a miracle that Henning has averaged 23 points per game since his arrival. We have done what we needed to to do on offense to win games, including keeping our defense off the field by controlling the clock and preventing turnovers. We have Brandon Marshal for 2 games and everyone wants fire the guy that helped our mediocre offense look good the past 2 seasons. Let's give him a chance. Week 12 is going to look a lot different than 2 road games weeks 1&2.

I understand the argument here and believe there is something to Henning in the playcalling from time to time, but ronnie/ricky dont fumble those balls and this team would have been in control of that game.

A lot of people like to bring up the Saints game when trying to come up for reasons to fire Henning. We lost to the Saints for one reason, TURNOVERS. This is the reason we lost most of our games last season. Turnovers and our defense sucked A**. We don't "lose" games because of Henning. You would have to be a complete moron if you believed that considering the fact that we have a 18-3 record with Henning as OC, when our opponents score less than 27 points in a game. Two losses were season openers in 08', 09', and in the other one we lost our starting QB.

I know that puts us at 2-12 when our opponents score 27 or more points, but aside from this season what options have we had on offense. It's a miracle that Henning has averaged 23 points per game since his arrival. We have done what we needed to to do on offense to win games, including keeping our defense off the field by controlling the clock and preventing turnovers. We have Brandon Marshal for 2 games and everyone wants fire the guy that helped our mediocre offense look good the past 2 seasons. Let's give him a chance. Week 12 is going to look a lot different than 2 road games weeks 1&2.

you're just echoing his exact philosophy. we may not 'lose' games (debatable) b/c of him - but we're sure as hell not 'winning' anything b/c of him either.

just b/c our defense is better doesn't mean our offense has to be a stagnant crutch, ya know?

you're just echoing his exact philosophy. we may not 'lose' games (debatable) b/c of him - but we're sure as hell not 'winning' anything b/c of him either.

just b/c our defense is better doesn't mean our offense has to be a stagnant crutch, ya know?

I was also trying to point out that Henning has done a lot of good for our offense when we were lacking in talent pretty badly. We should give him more opportunity than 2 road games, with a young QB working with a new no.1 receiver, before we say "this guy is holding us back". I actually believe he wants to open things up, but it's up to the players to execute the plays. I don't want our offense to look like the Pats did in the second half last week. Deep pass.....incomplete......Repeat.

I understand the argument here and believe there is something to Henning in the playcalling from time to time, but ronnie/ricky dont fumble those balls and this team would have been in control of that game.

There was a post earlier in the week that showed Ricky was in the top 5 rbs who fumbles.Ricky has always had problems with fumbling.

Bottom line, Henne has to prove his worth and gain their trust with his play on the field. Otherwise, they will continue to try and run a game plan that limits the risk of him effing something up and turning the ball over. When its 3rd and 12 and he converts it, or is reliable on those first down throws then you'll start to see the leash extended and eventually removed.

I was also trying to point out that Henning has done a lot of good for our offense when we were lacking in talent pretty badly. We should give him more opportunity than 2 road games, with a young QB working with a new no.1 receiver, before we say "this guy is holding us back". I actually believe he wants to open things up, but it's up to the players to execute the plays. I don't want our offense to look like the Pats did in the second half last week. Deep pass.....incomplete......Repeat.

i'm fine with that. i liked him the year penny took us to the playoffs. he did a lot with that offense - who was not as talented as this one.

but last year was pretty brutal - even if we were just letting henne develop or whatever. i won't go through that again w/o voicing my concern - this offense is better than henning is letting it be. 2 games of holding back an offense is okay - especially when we're winning - but i will blast him if he keeps it up.

Back
Top Bottom