hoops scoops...round 3 disaster... | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...round 3 disaster...

Yeah hoops i respect your opinion cuz u seem to know what your talking about most of the time and seem to keep a lvl head about it but i have to disagree with you as far as he Thomas pick. I dont see him as a tackle but think he can be a pretty good guard. He can move better then u think and seems to be pretty strong at the point of attack. Now i totally agree with Davis. He looks terrible. He looks too scared to hit or tackle anyone **cough S.Smith)**. Hopefully we can make up for it with Patton or Swope and maybe a decent RB in the forth. Whats your opinion on Taylor? personally i love the guy and if we didnt take a CB in the first he was one of the guys in the second i was praying for.

With Bess trade made I was hoping for Steadman Bailey. Also not many 3rd round picks impact first year. I would have drafted ready for next year and taken both Damontre Moore & John Jenkins.

Damontre Moore after a season on NFL programme IMO will vastly improve. Next year we would have had 4 quality DE in Wake, Jordan, Vernon, Moore and inside Odrick, Jenkins and 1 of Starks or Soliai.

would have been superb draft. Jordan, Taylor, Moore & Jenkins.

Think Thomas will line up at LG and Incognito will be moved to RG. I'm not down on him being picked. He did well in 2011 at LT against Clowney so he has some talent.

While Davis had a rough week at the Senior Bowl, he was said to have improved throughout the week and even had an interception in the game. Him being picked is the only questionable move I have seen in the draft so far but I will trust Kevin Coyle's ability to get the most out of his secondary.

Your non-GM opinions aren't truth or facts. I'm sorry that you thought they were.

If you're going to dispute his opinion, at least do it with ANALYSIS of the players in question. I see a ton of this with this draft so far when someone isn't chugging Dolphins Kool-Aid. "Well you're not a GM so what you say is stupid" ..... oh yeah, well neither are you or anyone else here.

whhy do you need a second deep threat? hartline will get open from the coverage wallace gets and the way wallace will stretch the field. More weapons are a luxry at this point. Slot Wrs can be filled easier than no1 WRs. We have that and a good compliment and agood tightend. Blocking TEs can be had late in the draft too. I think more weapons could help, but miami is fine. Many teams don't have a plethora of speedy WRs and still do good. Look at the broncos offense...who other than demarious was a speedster? But eric decker is a good Wr and was a great compliment to Thomas.

It's funny how much of an aversion some have to adding playmakers. Do you really think Wallace was the only thing missing last year? You cannot have too many legitimate weapons. You just can't. We certainly don't have an Eric Decker. And before you say Hartline, Decker scored more TDs in the year before Manning than Hartline has in his entire career.

---------- Post added at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Well, I just posted my feelings about this round in my last Get Real thread.

I will have to say, Im slightly more disappointed now after reading Hoops' review of the two players as I respect his opinions. I know he studies these players and usually has a good idea.

But, again my biggest disappointment about it all is we passed on a guy I think will be a top notch WR in the NFL. He was right there for the taking and I still dont think our WR corps is top level. The only players left at the position are basically role players and not potential pro bowl caliber guys like Bailey. Im fine without adding a WR in the draft at this point as I think Matthews can be a fine role player.

Just spend the rest of the picks on Gillislee, one of the 2 stud Kickers, and the rest on cornfed for all I care. If we spend 3 picks on cornfed and find at least one gem out of it perhaps we can finally stop worrying about cornfed for a year or two.

If they're not all 1st rounders, we can never stop worrying about cornfed.

The problem I see, is you started the thread talking about getting flamed , and at the first even comment not flaming you but disagreeing you fly off into a attitude filled post about how great you are and how dumb anyone else is that doesn't agree with you......

This happens all the time. You get used to it.

Will Davis is Nolan Carroll replacement

Here is what I see just off few games on youtube.

He is not physical at all and yes, he is not a very good tackler nor does he want to tackle unless his guy gets the ball. Does not look for the run but focuses on his guy down the field.

He uses his hands very nice on press while riding the the WR. Plays zone well especially over the middle showing some intincts where the ball is going. nice size. once again, uses hands very well which if Sean Smith could do he would still be here.

He reminds me of Terrell Buckley cept taller and rangier. Buckley made alot of big plays downfield but also would get burned deep occasionally.

I see him as a guy who comes in on a package and replaces Carroll next year in the wheelhouse.

I just went and watched all five of Dallas Thomas' game cut ups on YouTube. Hadn't watched anything before that. Barely knew who he was.

I like him. He doesn't flash, but he's very solid and I think will make a very solid NFL lineman. He's very smooth and very aware. I really like his awareness on stunts and games up front, though Florida is so active it got to him at times. He can combo block and then reach a defender very well, which stems from his above average solid footwork. Maintains proper knee bend and technique.

The negatives, such as they are, are just a lack of anything outstanding. The only truly exceptional aspect of his game are his run blocking angles. His are pretty much perfect, especially on second level blocks. The running back slides in right behind him and there's nothing for the defender to do. As an athlete I think he's okay. He's not a plodder; his feet are quick and active, especially his first few steps. But he's hardly Pouncey or Jonathan Cooper, leading a running back 20 yards downfield. His power is somewhat inconsistent. If he doesn't time his block well, he doesn't have the huge natural power to overwhelm someone and can get stoned or just sort of bounce off or get shed.

The main question seems to be: can he play left tackle in the NFL? I honestly don't know. Having relatively short arms will hurt him. One of the cutups on YouTube is his game against Alabama in 2011 where he played left tackle the entire game, often lining up against future 2nd round pick Courtney Upshaw. I think he does quite well, actually. But Upshaw is the kind of solid, powerful DE Thomas would do well against. He's no threat at all on an outside rush. Apparently he did very well against JaDaveon Clowney at LT in 2011, as well, but as that video isn't on YouTube I can't verify that claim. Clowney's stat line in 2011 does show him only making one tackle and one assist and no sacks against Tennessee.

Clowney did only have eight sacks that year, however. He had 13 this year.

i like that analysis but i don't see left tackle feet...and yeah my concern is more about dealing with speed on the edge than power rushers...courtney upshaw is mostly a power guy with short arms so if you can lock out on him he doesn't have much counter

that said i have seen some guys in this league play a solid left tackle that i thought their feet weren't good enough...pretty critical imo though that they have plus feet...i see this guy having issues against speed in space...

The problem I see, is you started the thread talking about getting flamed , and at the first even comment not flaming you but disagreeing you fly off into a attitude filled post about how great you are and how dumb anyone else is that doesn't agree with you......

i don't feel i did that at all...did i come on here last night and put my exact thoughts at the time out yes...could i have used some better wording to explain it yes,..but i was very dissappointed...anyways i'm going back right now to watch everything i have on will davis to see if maybe i missed something...or can find some more value there

was just looking at the guys we took and what round slimm had them slotted in...

he had thomas with a fourth round grade, and the other guys we got all were taken in the round slimm had them slotted. haven't broken down by position ranks yet, but found it at least comforting that jordan taylor and davis all were taken in the round slimm had them valued at...

was just looking at the guys we took and what round slimm had them slotted in...

he had thomas with a fourth round grade, and the other guys we got all were taken in the round slimm had them slotted. haven't broken down by position ranks yet, but found it at least comforting that jordan taylor and davis all were taken in the round slimm had them valued at...

Well I guess Jeff Ireland reads Lindy's draft guide because we basically got all our picks outside of Dion Jordan almost round lower than they projected. Go figure.

my god...i wish they had just traded completely out of the round...

first they overdraft a guy in dallas thomas with low level feet and movement skills to play what i assume is right guard in a zone scheme...i sure as hell hope that's the plan...cause that's a failure at tackle...he's stiff and straight ahead...great...add him to stone feet incog at guard...will this team ever get athletic at guard...i guess the plan right now is to move john jerry out to tackle or to roll with will yeatman...

then they trade up for what looked like the worst corner at the senior bowl week period in will davis...good lord...guy got used like a wet nap all over the field senior bowl week...to the point where at times it looked like he stopped competing...awful...this is egnew all over again level stuff...trade high level 4th 5th and 7th round picks for this camp fodder

i guess i should be happy they at least got a good value at #56 with short arms jamar taylor...batted 1 for 3...

I couldn't agree more. I liked Hugh Thornton better than Dallas Thomas at guard and i took Davis off my board b/c he's not a good cover guy and he's soft as charmin. I liked the Taylor pick b/c he's good in zone coverage, has nice speed and short area quickness, and is a willing tackler. His length is a little concern but everything else checks out.

ok so you plan on stashing this kid i guess...he played in a bad conference where he rarely faced anything at wr...and when he did face solid comp and pro prospects senior bowl week he was plum awful...i'm sure he interviewed like a boss though ha ha

He got abused by Quinton Patton as well.....11 for 181.

You do know that Davis was third team all american and first in the nation with an 1.75 PB average per a game. Highly athletic (leader in the 3 cone drill) and intelligent (all academic team) just needs coaching. I had him as an early 4th and so did several other publications. Chill out.

College accolades mean nothing. Look at all the Heisman trophy QBs out there.

Athletic? Yes. Did he test well? Yes. Mike Mamula says hi. What does the tape say? To me, it says a guy who gets beat in coverage a lot, grabs guys often when they do, and is not a willing tackler.

Back
Top Bottom