How you guys feeling about the Wes Welker Trade now? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How you guys feeling about the Wes Welker Trade now?

Don't think we should have matched the Pats offer for Welker as I agree he would have done nothing for the woeful 2007 Fins, but I do think they could have made it more difficult for the Patriots, at least bluff a little.
There was no bluffing to be done, the Pats signed him and were going to get him regardless. They knew we weren't going to match, so pretending that we were would have been pointless, we weren't going to get more picks out of them.

Just be happy that we have a great young center to build around for the future. Young and talented OLmen are very important to a rebuilding team.

A #1 center that we hear may be switched to guard.
#1 Center......#1 guard.......#1 tackle......I don't care. He is a great young player that we can build the OL around. :up:

And not everything you read is true, we won't know until the season starts.

Don't think we should have matched the Pats offer for Welker as I agree he would have done nothing for the woeful 2007 Fins, but I do think they could have made it more difficult for the Patriots, at least bluff a little.

Bluff? :lol:

I can't even believe I am answering to this...

And what are you going to bluff...

Scenario. You go into the Supermarket and the price on Steak is 3.99 a pound, but you dont want to pay that much. So you "Bluff" the store manager into making it 3.59?

It is Free Agency. There is NO bluff. The patriots set the price, we have to match it or let him go. They werent gonna offer a 1st, we were VERY VERY fortunate to get a second....

Oh gawd...my head is starting to hurt from this thread...

It amazes me that people just don't understand how hard it is to find a good quality C in this league let alone a guy who can come in as a rookie and start at the position all season. We were compensated nicely in the Welker deal and we did a wonderful job with the pick. What else is there to say. I know Wes had a good season with the Pats but the guy is a possesion receiver. Samson is a future Pro Bowler who will bolster the middle of the OL for years to come.
There really is nothing to compare here folks. We made out in the deal.

#1 Center......#1 guard.......#1 tackle......I don't care. He is a great young player that we can build the OL around. :up:

And not everything you read is true, we won't know until the season starts.

Hell, I heard he was gonna be our next Strong Safety..oh no wait, that was Zach...:lol:

It's great. Thanks Wes for Samson Satele. Our run game was amongst the best in the league I believe before Ronnie went down. Coincidence?

-first post back at FH :woot:

It amazes me that people just don't understand how hard it is to find a good quality C in this league let alone a guy who can come in as a rookie and start at the position all season. We were compensated nicely in the Welker deal and we did a wonderful job with the pick. What else is there to say. I know Wes had a good season with the Pats but the guy is a possesion receiver. Samson is a future Pro Bowler who will bolster the middle of the OL for years to come.
There really is nothing to compare here folks. We made out in the deal.
Well especially considering these are fellow Dolphin fans. I would think by now that every single one of us would truly understand and appreciate the need for a quality O-line. It's kind of like that lipstick on a pig expression; with WRs and other skills positions being the lipstick. If this offense is ever going to look like anything other than a pig we're going to have to have a dominating O-line.

Looks like we have two threads about the same exact topic. I'll use my other post in this one as well.

This isn't some hidden mystery. Any one that tells you the Dolphins got robbed just isn't paying attention. Welker played 3 years with this team in this system. It's not a system that throws 75% and runs 3 wide sets 99% of the time like the Pats system is. Welker also wouldn't have had Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth comanding attention with a top 10 QB of all time throwing him the ball all the meanwhile one of the best lines in the league protecting that QB.

If you think Welker was catching 100 balls and more then 5 TDs for the Dolphins this season, you're crazy. Welker would be useless with Cleo Lemon, Jesse Chatman, Marty Booker, Ted Ginn and our line as his compliments.

Welker is great...the absolute perfect #3 reciever...The pats have the prototypes at all three positions..Moss Proto #1 Stallworth Proto #2 Welker proto #3.

But do you honestly think he could switch spots with moss and play as a #1 ??? seriously ??

He (welker) is a unique talent.. tough great hands great routes and quick as hell but New england had the perfect role for him to play and with guys like Moss and brady he has had a career year and well worth the money and draft pick NE payed for him...BUT no way he is anymore than an average return man and 60 catch 800 yard guy for us..I can maybe see the arguement we should have played "keep away" but not at the risk of losing some decent players because we have the highest paid and best #3 in the league.

You guys ripped me in the beginning of the year when I posted (How do we get rid of this guy Wes Welker) I wonder if you FOOLS still feel the same way and if you do you should be fired like Cam.

We should have a first round pick for this guy.

I love it!! Wes Welker has the NFL's BEST Wr on the same team, and he also has a Qb named Brady!

When you suck as a team, and want to rebuild, you don't start with a freaking slot Wr, you start with a STUD lineman, and in particular, you start with a Center, and a LT.

BTW, you can't fire me!! Understand that!!

We selected Satele with that pick, not Beck.

I find it ironic that the reason Wes was so successful here is because he was the recipient of alot of dump passes by a pressured QB, and yet we used the 2nd that we got for him on a guy that will solidify our OL for the next 10 years........and people are still complaining.
L2G, much respect but,i'm not disagreeing with the value that we got for wes was'nt good, i'am sayin that, whats the job of a GM?, to get the players in position, right, you can argue all day about position importance but i can argue that every position on the field is of the same importance, however, what i question is the mindset of our front office letting go a player that is the best at his position in the NFL.

I just don't understand that philosiphy, its kinda like your punishing wes because he had crappy players around him, randy moss would of had half his production dropped if he had our 10 players on offense playing with him.

I also think that some of you underestimate his skill set, i see unique explosiveness, great hands, tough, young and clutch, i keep his azzz

a franchise center? that remains to be seen...

and 70 receptions on this team is pure gold... he led us last year and proibably would have this year as he was the only one who ever caught the damn ball.

LMAO.... how exactly do you think he would have pulled in 70 receptions here with a lack of a QB, all our 3 and out drives, no Randy Moss to demand constant double teams, etc. etc. etc.

The Pats have made many a mediocre WR look fantastic.
I'm not trying to rip Welker here but this post almost forces us to.
He's a slot, possession WR period and end of story.
He's good but he's also having a career year that is a gift from the QB he has and the offense he is now playing in.

Why that is so hard to grasp is beyond me.

As others have said, I'll take Satele thankyou.

Two draft picks for Wes instead of his cap hit if we matched the NE offer...yes any day of the week.

S. Satele (2nd) and A. Wright (7th) for Wes and his contract terms and cap hit. Slam dunk no brainer, solid trade for Miami.

We used the RFA rules and tender offer to our advantage. If he resigned with us, great, if a counter came along like NE, and we were able to turn it into a trade netting us a 2nd and 7th rounder, kudos to the Dolphins FO for this one.

This post is good enough to bump!

Back
Top Bottom