How you guys feeling about the Wes Welker Trade now? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How you guys feeling about the Wes Welker Trade now?

That's why they are going to the Super Bowl and we won 1 game.

Yeah, Wes Welker is the reason! :lol:

The reason the Pats are where they are is because they've made MANY moves like the Welker move the Dolphins made themselves.

If you've followed them at all, you'll see they've figured out the salary cap era. In this era you can't keep all your players without moving some to avoind creating a cap disaster. The Pats have let popular players go and traded popular players for draft picks.
They took heat at the time but in the end all the moves were fantastic.

To stay competitive in the modern NFL you have to get returns for players you know you won't be able to keep because of FA, cap restraints, or because you have younger players ready to step up and take a spot.

If you don't make tough decisions to trade or tender certain players you loose all value in having them as they end up walking in Free Agency.
In other words you loose talent without getting any talent in return.

The Phins made a great deal here bottom line.

Great move by us. We have a great Lineman and we gave up a slot receiver.

L2G, much respect but,i'm not disagreeing with the value that we got for wes was'nt good, i'am sayin that, whats the job of a GM?, to get the players in position, right, you can argue all day about position importance but i can argue that every position on the field is of the same importance, however, what i question is the mindset of our front office letting go a player that is the best at his position in the NFL.

I just don't understand that philosiphy, its kinda like your punishing wes because he had crappy players around him, randy moss would of had half his production dropped if he had our 10 players on offense playing with him.

I also think that some of you underestimate his skill set, i see unique explosiveness, great hands, tough, young and clutch, i keep his azzz
Every player on the field is important, I agree. But for a team like Miami, there was no way they could justify paying a #3 WR the type of money that Wes was offered from NE. NE is stacked at every position and could afford the luxury of overpaying for a slot receiver.

Noone was a bigger fan of Welker than I was, I loved his heart and the fact that he would run through a brick wall to make a catch, but with so many other needs we just couldn't justify spending that type of money on a slot receiver. Those picks were much more valuable to us than Wes, and Miami made the right decision IMO.

That's why they are going to the Super Bowl and we won 1 game.

You conveniently ignored the part where I stated we had no option. There was a poison pill in the deal they tendered Welker making it impossible for the Dolphins to match without blowing our cap.

So the amazing thing is that even though our hands were forced we got terrific value out of the deal. Kudos to us!

That trade was STILL a steal. ANYBODY could put up those #s w/ the rest of the weapons NE has, he still averages just 10 yds per rec and got a good deal of his #s in garbage time when NE was running up the score. he also downgraded their return units. That was a STEAL for Miami.

Damn I hate it when a Jets fan talks sense. I'm morally opposed to having to agree with you! :lol:

We may not have done much right for a while, but we made out well in the Welker equation.

You conveniently ignored the part where I stated we had no option. There was a poison pill in the deal they tendered Welker making it impossible for the Dolphins to match without blowing our cap.

So the amazing thing is that even though our hands were forced we got terrific value out of the deal. Kudos to us!

100% correct.
If we would've been crazy enough to match any poison pill that NE was going to put in the contract, we'd be paying an outrageous bonus to a guy just for suiting up and playing in the state of Florida, regardless of production.

There's no way we could've justified doing that.
I actually think the move was fair for both teams, NE got a perfect compliment to their O, and we got some much needed draft picks.

this topic is nonsensical. we landed a possible franchise center and another player for a slot reciever who had 1td in his entire miami career. yeah he had a superb year in NE surrounded by brady, moss and a great o-line, and more power to him. but he would've continued to be what he was for us had he stayed, a decent underneath wr. the topics would've been "how can this franchise justify paying this guy all this $$$?" cant win.

i might reply to the "they're undefeated and we won 1 game" rebuttal if i ever pick myself up from the floor from laughing so hard.

You guys ripped me in the beginning of the year when I posted (How do we get rid of this guy Wes Welker) I wonder if you FOOLS still feel the same way and if you do you should be fired like Cam.

We should have a first round pick for this guy.
I am totally with you on this one. This was hopefully one of the final horrible moves we have to feel the pain for over the years to come. All these posts underneath yours are obviously fans who must live in a hole. I agree about getting over it however, saying this was a good move for Miami is absolutley sour grapes by these fans. HELLO!!! HE LED THE LEAGUE IN RECEPTIONS! I DONT CARE WHO HE PLAYED FOR. HE LED THE LEAGUE IN RECEPTIONS! You people have to open your eyes a little wider. We will move on but we lost on this trade, NO DOUBT.

I am totally with you on this one. This was hopefully one of the final horrible moves we have to feel the pain for over the years to come. All these posts underneath yours are obviously fans who must live in a hole. I agree about getting over it however, saying this was a good move for Miami is absolutley sour grapes by these fans. HELLO!!! HE LED THE LEAGUE IN RECEPTIONS! I DONT CARE WHO HE PLAYED FOR. HE LED THE LEAGUE IN RECEPTIONS! You people have to open your eyes a little wider. We will move on but we lost on this trade, NO DOUBT.

Did he lead the league in reception last year? what makes you think he would have had half as many receptions this year with Cleo Lemon, John Beck, and Trent Green as he would have had with Tommy Boy? I garuantee 100% he wouldnt have had any more than 70.

Lol... This post is a joke man..:sidelol::sidelol:

I am totally with you on this one. This was hopefully one of the final horrible moves we have to feel the pain for over the years to come. All these posts underneath yours are obviously fans who must live in a hole.
Or reality

I agree about getting over it however, saying this was a good move for Miami is absolutley sour grapes by these fans.
No, "sour grapes" would be bellyaching over it a year later.

HELLO!!! HE LED THE LEAGUE IN RECEPTIONS! I DONT CARE WHO HE PLAYED FOR. HE LED THE LEAGUE IN RECEPTIONS! You people have to open your eyes a little wider. We will move on but we lost on this trade, NO DOUBT.
My mother could pull in 100 receptions and 1,000 yards on the Pats. :lol:

Come on man, it's more than a little intellectually dishonest to say that Miami and NE are anywhere near the same level talent-wise. And that's basically what you're doing by assuming that Welker would have put up the same numbers here that he did in NE. NE is stacked with talent, Moss, Stallworth, Watson, etc demand respect and double teams out on the field, leaving Welker to slide into a hole in the D for an easy reception. If you think he would have the same freedom to roam freely here, you're fooling yourself.

OK lets say this slow for the hard of hearing....this was not a move....we...did...not...have...a....choice.

There was a poison pill in the offer tendered by the Patriots. This means that had Miami tried to match the offer the cap number would have shot through the roof and we would have been hemorraging players. We did not have an option of resigning Welker...no ifs ands or buts about it.

Whether you felt like we got value or not (and we actually did) is irrelevant. We did not have a choice.

Back
Top Bottom