Is Brady Quinn worthy of the #1 pick | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Brady Quinn worthy of the #1 pick

DonShula84 said:
He had 1 bad game in the beginning of the year, Michigan. PSU he dominated, MSU he dominated and I think people realize now that GT is a much better team then preseason rankings gave them credit for and he still had a pretty good that day.

It's like it has become the trendy thing on this board to say Quinn is a system QB he isnt very good blah blah blah, but no one can really back up the claim

The team might have won some of those games early in the year, but he did struggle. Like I said, he got happy feet and he was very inaccurate. He has since gotten better, but they haven't played defenses that were as good.

Every QB is a system QB. Some just more than others. I think Quinn has all of the physical tools to be a good NFL QB. He is tall, has good weight, strong, and it seems like he can make every throw. As far as the mental aspect, you would think he is at least halfway intelligent. He should be able to digest a NFL playbook and seems to work hard on the preparation aspect of the game. I don't know what else you can measure. People love to talk about whether QBs have that 'it'. The reason they call it 'it' is because they don't know what it is and there is no way to measure it. So I don't feel the need to discuss that.

So judging from what I have seen as far as physical ability, he has as much talent as just about every other QB. He also seems to have the mental skills to at least have a chance to succeed in the NFL. Both of those things usually translate into a high draft pick. It just depends on who is picking at number 1 and what their need is.

dplunk said:
The team might have won some of those games early in the year, but he did struggle. Like I said, he got happy feet and he was very inaccurate. He has since gotten better, but they haven't played defenses that were as good.

Every QB is a system QB. Some just more than others. I think Quinn has all of the physical tools to be a good NFL QB. He is tall, has good weight, strong, and it seems like he can make every throw. As far as the mental aspect, you would think he is at least halfway intelligent. He should be able to digest a NFL playbook and seems to work hard on the preparation aspect of the game. I don't know what else you can measure. People love to talk about whether QBs have that 'it'. The reason they call it 'it' is because they don't know what it is and there is no way to measure it. So I don't feel the need to discuss that.

So judging from what I have seen as far as physical ability, he has as much talent as just about every other QB. He also seems to have the mental skills to at least have a chance to succeed in the NFL. Both of those things usually translate into a high draft pick. It just depends on who is picking at number 1 and what their need is.

Well said. I dont think Quinn is perfect or a guaranteed stud at the next level. But to look at his college career and to say he sucks is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time. I'll point that out to people who make that argument all day. Your argument against Quinn seeing the rush a bit in the beginning and it making his throws inaccurate is absolutely right. Though Weis said part of it was WR running bad routes (going 12 yards instead of 10 for example).

The physical tools are there, he has already learned a pro play book so he isnt stupid, and he has shown he can make accurate throws and lead to come from behind leads/victories. Showing he can handle the rush a little better and remain consistent with his accuracy are things he needs to work on imo. But i'm sure people who have seen him play once know more.

DonShula84 said:
Well said. I dont think Quinn is perfect or a guaranteed stud at the next level. But to look at his college career and to say he sucks is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time. I'll point that out to people who make that argument all day. Your argument against Quinn seeing the rush a bit in the beginning and it making his throws inaccurate is absolutely right. Though Weis said part of it was WR running bad routes (going 12 yards instead of 10 for example).

The physical tools are there, he has already learned a pro play book so he isnt stupid, and he has shown he can make accurate throws and lead to come from behind leads/victories. Showing he can handle the rush a little better and remain consistent with his accuracy are things he needs to work on imo. But i'm sure people who have seen him play once know more.

IMO Brady Quinn is the best QB in this draft. I look at Drew Stanton and he's got alot of upside because he can run and he can throw but he's inconsistent. It seems like against bad teams he plays extremely well but against other teams he dosen't play as well.

DonShula84 said:

That part about the WRs running poor routes could be correct. During his struggles, I rarely, if ever, saw Jeff Samar...(can't spell it) get open. I thought he might of been getting double teamed or something. Plus I think Weis was being a little pass happy sometimes. I think Quinn has shaken the struggles for the most part. And I agree with your assesment of him as well.

adamprez2003 said:
talk to me in two years:lol:
see, there's no reason at all to think cassell is better than brady. none at all. you haven't explained yourself yet.

any coach that would take him over brady is a MORON and would be fired immediately.

Kyfinsfan said:
FWIW - I don't think Quinn is the best pro prospect out there; it's Brohm out of Louisville.

I agree. I think Brohm will end up being a better NFL QB than Quinn. Don't get me wrong, Quinn is an excellent QB, deserving of a top 10 pick. Brohm has been a winner at every level (ala Matt Leinert). He might be the smartest QB in college right now. He has it all, work ethic, mechanics, winner's mentality, arm strength. It might be best to think of him as a more mobile, stronger armed Matt Leinert. Best of all he's been playing in a pro style offense all through college. Petrino is a former NFL offensive coordinator and they use all of the sets that are used in the NFL. Don't believe that BS that media says when they say that U of L uses a variation on the "spread offense". Occasionally they spread the field 5 wide, but that's as close as they come. He's definitely not a system QB.

UF Fin Kat said:
see, there's no reason at all to think cassell is better than brady. none at all. you haven't explained yourself yet.

any coach that would take him over brady is a MORON and would be fired immediately.

you missed the point here. obviously you're not going to bench Tom Brady. The guy just lead his team to three rings. What I'm saying is what they have in Cassel, is quite possibly, a bigger stronger version of Brady. His arm is great, he can make every throw in the book with alot more zip than Brady. He can actually throw the out pattern with confidence which Brady has been terrified of doing this season (Champ Bailey memories anyone?) He might be more accurate though Brady has the better touch. He's more elusive in the pocket and from the limited amount of action the guy has had he's shown a cool presence out there that reminds alot of people of Brady. Remember this guy wasnt sitting behind no names. Palmer, Leinart and now Brady. Talk about your bad luck:lol: .

The only way I see him staying in New England in two years is if Brady goes down with an injury, he steps in and lights it up or if Brady gets tired of New England and leaves. Otherwise he's going to have his choice of teams to go to in two years and I guarantee every team will be interested. There's a reason Belichik decided to keep only two QBs to start the season. He felt fully confident that if something happened to Brady they would be fine with Cassell

As for thinking he might better than Brady in the future that's what you do with young QBs, you project where you think they will be. You're not going to do that with a 7 yr veteran but with young QBs that's what you do. Its not like there will never be a better QB than Brady coming into the NFL. I think Cutler, Cassell and possibly Leinart will all be better than Brady in three years. Doesnt mean they are better now and it doesnt mean that its guaranteed but its what I see happening from what Ive seen from them

LouPhinFan said:
I agree. I think Brohm will end up being a better NFL QB than Quinn. Don't get me wrong, Quinn is an excellent QB, deserving of a top 10 pick. Brohm has been a winner at every level (ala Matt Leinert). He might be the smartest QB in college right now. He has it all, work ethic, mechanics, winner's mentality, arm strength. It might be best to think of him as a more mobile, stronger armed Matt Leinert. Best of all he's been playing in a pro style offense all through college. Petrino is a former NFL offensive coordinator and they use all of the sets that are used in the NFL. Don't believe that BS that media says when they say that U of L uses a variation on the "spread offense". Occasionally they spread the field 5 wide, but that's as close as they come. He's definitely not a system QB.

I think the reason Quinn is always mentioned by the media as a number 1, and I agree he's a good prospect, is that Notre Dame is on tv all the time whereas Louisville doesnt have that national presence. I cant see any team if they had a choice drafting Quinn over Brohm. Brohm is in another class over Quinn

phins4gish said:
I'm just saying that ND has been losing big games. Do you want a choker on your team?
How any real Dolphins fan can make this comment is beyond me. :shakeno:

You realize how many times thats been said about Marino? Is he a choker?

Football is a TEAM sport.

adamprez2003 said:
I think the reason Quinn is always mentioned by the media as a number 1, and I agree he's a good prospect, is that Notre Dame is on tv all the time whereas Louisville doesnt have that national presence. I cant see any team if they had a choice drafting Quinn over Brohm. Brohm is in another class over Quinn

You bring up a good point about the media. I haven't seen one Louiville game all year. If Brohm is as good as you guys say, I would like to see him in action. You never know, the Fins might be in a position to take a QB. If he is that good, I think I would be happy with him or Quinn.

Motion said:
How any real Dolphins fan can make this comment is beyond me. :shakeno:

You realize how many times thats been said about Marino? Is he a choker?

Football is a TEAM sport.

Seriously. I can't believe Dolphins fans think like this. I have even heard a bunch of people on these boards use the 'he has a ring and is therefore better' argument which is totally absurd. Like you said, 'football is a TEAM sport.' Stop crediting one guy for everything that goes right and blaming him for everything that goes wrong.

PhinFan0202 said:
It seems like against bad teams he plays extremely well but against other teams he dosen't play as well.

just like Quinn. :)

so you mean to tell me that a QB plays better against weaker teams than stronger teams? that's just crazy! he's clearly a bust.

UF Fin Kat said:
so you mean to tell me that a QB plays better against weaker teams than stronger teams? that's just crazy! he's clearly a bust.

:lol: Was he playing worse against the good teams or was he playing about the same but the team lost? The team loosing could have nothing to do with the QB play?

Back
Top Bottom