I've analyzed your 2003 & 2004 Caps (LONG) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I've analyzed your 2003 & 2004 Caps (LONG)

Re: Re: I've analyzed your 2003 & 2004 Caps (LONG)

Originally posted by Oliver

You just need to admit to yourself that you are a closet Dolphins fan. I would bet you would become a much happier preson if you did so! :D Not that you are grumpy or anything.

Oliver...

Admitting to the problem is the first step towards recovery. :cool:

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Good post Clump, however here are some small notes about your roster projection:

1. Tolver will most likely make the roster over Baker or Newson. If Baker or Newson don't make the roster, either of them could end up on other teams based on their performances in NFLE.

2. Nails will not be on the PUP. He is expected to be ready for the start of training camp.

3. Safety Scott McGarrahan will make the roster, and his contract includes a signing bonus.

4. Burnett will not make the roster as a DT. Either him or Lamanzer Williams make it as a DE.'

5. LB Justin Seaverns will not make the roster because he has no ability on ST.

6. Mark Royals will be this teams punter no matter how bad he is because he is the holder on kicks and Stemke is even worse which was proven in NFLE this year.

7. If we take 4 RBs, we will only take 4 WRs. The extra player will be a safety who plays ST (McGarrahan, who will make the roster as previously stated)

8. Ed Perry, our long snapper, is going to make the roster. He is a TE, and yes, we will take 4 TEs. We did the same thing last season.

1) Tolver/Baker/Newson: little cap difference, Baker makes 300K, Tolver will have signing bonus and because he would first be released(after June 1st) in my scenario, his bonus is spread out over 2 yrs

2)Nails: It remains to be seen.........Achilles injury in December!

3)McGarrahan: signing bonus included in "dead cap". I kept Lowe because he could play FS/CB/ST. Not much cap impact keeping McGarrahan

4)Burnett: Look at my roster projection, I have (DE) after his name. He moves inside in obvious passing downs, right?

5)Seaverins: Miami has NO depth at LB, but doesn't really impact the cap if say Symonette makes it instead

6)Royals: Cap casualty but add $225,000 to the numbers if he makes it

7)Rogers: listed as RB but is primary return man, no way you go with only 4 WRs

8)Perry: cap casualty.

Personally, I think its AWESOME that you take the time to keep track of all the salary cap mmoves... but trying to predict where things will turn out 1 year from now is rediculous.

A) We don't even know who will be on the roster THIS year, so how can we project where our cap will end up.

B) I think many of your assumptions are WAAAAY off.

Fiedler are BOTH scheduled to make $5million+ next year. That will NEVER happen. A more likely scenario is one is outright released... he other is given a contract extension which lowers his 2004 number to somewhere in the range of $1.5-$2million. Right there that is about $8 million shaved off the cap.

But, there is also the fact that you are asumming we will be keeping some of the most expensive underperforming players on the roster. Tim Bowens will not likely receive that bonus money. Perry and Ruddy will likely be gone with McKinney and Whitley or another cheap veteran replacing them.

But, in the end NONE of us can even come close to predicting how this will turn out... we still need to play the games and see who is performing and who is not before we start projecting who will be kept around and at what salaries. But, I think the fact that so much of that excess money is tied up in our QB's and it WILL be addressed makes it almost a GUARANTEE that we will not have many problems getting under the cap. Add to that the normal "cap manuevering" and we will have money left over to make a few key contract extensions, plus sign a few free agent (not blockbuster deals mind you.)

I have included that resolving the QB situation will occur prior to the start of the 2004 League Year. It will need to be resolved in order to allow Miami to become cap compliant.

I also haven't finished, but remember, most released players need to be replace and they count vs the cap.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

1) Tolver/Baker/Newson: little cap difference, Baker makes 300K, Tolver will have signing bonus and because he would first be released(after June 1st) in my scenario, his bonus is spread out over 2 yrs

2)Nails: It remains to be seen.........Achilles injury in December!

3)McGarrahan: signing bonus included in "dead cap". I kept Lowe because he could play FS/CB/ST. Not much cap impact keeping McGarrahan

4)Burnett: Look at my roster projection, I have (DE) after his name. He moves inside in obvious passing downs, right?

5)Seaverins: Miami has NO depth at LB, but doesn't really impact the cap if say Symonette makes it instead

6)Royals: Cap casualty but add $225,000 to the numbers if he makes it

7)Rogers: listed as RB but is primary return man, no way you go with only 4 WRs

8)Perry: cap casualty.

The most likely scenario regarding Rogers is that Robert Edwards goes. 4 WRs is an unlikely possibility because we never use 5 WRs, but we won't keep 4 RBs and 5 WRs, that I can guarantee.

I work in the lab at a hospital in Buffalo and our workload is directly related to how busy the ER is.

Dude if hell ever freezes over and Buff actually wins some sort of championship i feel so sorry for your workload that night!! :lol:

Good post!

While I don't agree with all your roster conclusions it seems that under you're scenario we're not doing too bad.

Summary: Next year we are over by $8.5 mil and we'll cut one of the QBs that make @ $7 mil. That leaves us @$1.5 mil over before any other restructures or cuts.

Thanks Clumpy

very informative--you may be wrong or you may be right on some things, but one thing is for sure, you have your **** together.

bills fan or not, I am glad you are here!

Thanks again for all the info

Geoff in Wisconsin:D

Neither Griese or Fieldler will see any of that bonus money. The one that stays will have a new contract before hand. Also Bowens will be cut before they give him any of that 1.8 million. You have to assume that none of that bonus money will be paid and whatever new contract the QB signs will have its bonus spread over 6+ years.

Hmmmmmm..............you seem to be posting as well :rolleyes:

I think it had more with the fact you take so much time to figure out a rival teams cap numbers then that you were posting ;).

Just pointing that out :tongue:

I've looked over his post and I hate to say it if his numbers are accurate it is close to right.

It all comes down to the incentives and actual numbers and bonuses given out. The numbers from ESPN are always so wrong it's not even funny.

I'll come back when I have more time to read the original thread...

I just have one thing to say about FUTURE cap hits...

I was one of those people looking at the Raiders doom and gloom with glee..I think they were projected at something like 30,000,000 over after this past year...

Well, what do you know ?

Release a couple of players that had little value to the team's future and they are once again cap friendly..

Clump,

It really doesn't matter until the 2003 season is played..

Back
Top Bottom