Jamar Taylor's Kidney Issue May Have Made Him Slip to #54 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jamar Taylor's Kidney Issue May Have Made Him Slip to #54

CK people have different opinions about what TV shows they like or do not like. I would assume what is a BIG issue to one team may not be as BIG an issue to another team.

Sure, thats fair when we are talking about the personality of a player, certain characteristics, or if the player got caught with weed but a medical issue should be a big issue for all 32 teams. Of course there are teams that inherently take more risk than other during the draft and believe that player could rehab and get better... but with an issue like this that deals with an organ system that should definitely not be taken lightly. Again, I don't want to blow this topic up because we just have a small and likely inaccurate blurb to go on.. One of South Florida's most cherished athletes, Alonzo Mourning, had to deal with kidney scarring and it wasn't an insignificant thing. That's why the blurb doesn't make sense to me..

how did he not know until getting tested? at 42% rate, i would think he'd be dealing with edema. And I don;t know how he can play at a high level even if it doesn't get better. If it stays the same it would be hard. All I know is edema usually goes to the legs but other parts it can too. It would be hard for him to run or run fast as edema to the feet, feels like you're feet are heavy and doesn't feel good to be on you're feet too long. the feeling you get with being upside down the pressure to your head, well theres that pressure to the feat from the fluid retention to the feet and other places. That's what edema is, your kidneys help filter out toxins but also helps with protein. The kidneys from the damage start leaking out a lot of protein and with the loss the body is not able to flush out sodium and toxins in your system. Thats why someone with kidneys damamged, have to have very low salt diets, because sodium retains fluid and thats the last thing you want when your kidneys are retaining fluid and the sodium you're taking in is causing it even more. Plus actually sodium isn't good for the kidneys anyways. but to the other point the reason I know how it feels is because of an rare autoimmune thing that came on (not lupus) and I had the edema and it's not joke. I didn't want to be on my feet that long let alone try running, taylor would be trodding along if he tried running if his kidneys are 42%. Luckily, I had an immuno supressent drug and it stopped my immune systeme from beatin up my kidneys and they healed.

They aren't 100%, but they are maybe 95% i would say and very slight protein leak and have stayed that way for years and shouldn't be a problem. It makes me curious why his high blood pressure caused this though. Some blood pressure could be tough, but there's lisinprol, which treats blood pressure, but is also supposed to help the kidneys too. I take it, as because the kidneys aren't 100%, my blood pressure is just slightly high, it's only 10mg I take, but the medicine also is to prevent scarring of the kidneys for far down the road say like when I'm 50 or 60 and just help maintain things. I'm surprised why they didn't have him take that.

No you will not get edema at 42% efficiency.. There are millons of nephrons in each kidney and this redundancy is good for situations like this. Also its the same reason why you only need one kidney to survive, which is theoretically at 50% efficiency.. What did you have? If its an autoimmune disorder that was affecting ALL your glomeruli and which is why you had the edema. Your kidneys were not working at all. Jamar still has enough kidney function to get by and be largely asymptomatic. You dont really see edema until your kidneys are really messed up.

There are a lot of medications that effect the kidney.. Medications ranging from antibiotics to asprins. Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor and that could lead to kidney damage. That is most likely what they were giving him to control his high blood pressure but that could damage the kidneys in certain patients.. We learned you're not supposed to give ACE inhibitors with certain diseases states because the GFR, or filtration rate, can become decreased to dangerous levels and thats what happened with Jamar.

In other patients, such as yourself, it could actually help lessen the load on the kidney and help it out. You don't have to share with us if you dont want to but do you have diabetes as well? Lisinopril definitely helps improve kidney function in diabetics.

Check out the link to the video below.
[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000165700/Grading-the-trades-in-the-NFL-draft[/video]

The NFL.com guys compare the value of the falcons trading up to get Desmond Trufant vs the value of Jamar Taylor and these guys almost all had Taylor as a better or equal prospect even though we got him in the second round. They however did not talk about his kidney concerns. It is definitely an interesting video to watch even though they do not cover the trade up for Jordan

I think this kid was a steal where we got him. Lets just hope his body heals up. The power of the human body to heal itself once it is being taken care of properly is amazing.

No you will not get edema at 42% efficiency.. There are millons of nephrons in each kidney and this redundancy is good for situations like this. Also its the same reason why you only need one kidney to survive, which is theoretically at 50% efficiency.. What did you have? If its an autoimmune disorder that was affecting ALL your glomeruli and which is why you had the edema. Your kidneys were not working at all. Jamar still has enough kidney function to get by and be largely asymptomatic. You dont really see edema until your kidneys are really messed up.

There are a lot of medications that effect the kidney.. Medications ranging from antibiotics to asprins. Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor and that could lead to kidney damage. That is most likely what they were giving him to control his high blood pressure but that could damage the kidneys in certain patients.. We learned you're not supposed to give ACE inhibitors with certain diseases states because the GFR, or filtration rate, can become decreased to dangerous levels and thats what happened with Jamar.

In other patients, such as yourself, it could actually help lessen the load on the kidney and help it out. You don't have to share with us if you dont want to but do you have diabetes as well? Lisinopril definitely helps improve kidney function in diabetics.

nope. thats why i found it weird that you said lisiniprol can hurt the kidneys, because my nephrologist that I saw and still see wouldn't have had me take this if it were to hurt my kidneys, it actually helps mine. Idk why it would hurt some and not mine or others. 42% efficiency seems like a realy low efficiency level unless its for one kidney and the other one is fine and not meaning the overall production of both kidneys. People said once 42% efficiency happens the kidneys can be scarred and renal failure can happen after going lower. I didn't think mine were worse than 42% or lower. They are damaged but I would think if my kidneys were more messed up than that, I would have had kidney failure and never recovered, but I did and my kidneys are pretty good, not perfect of course but pretty good.

you said you just got done studying the kidney. Are you a doctor or someone in the medical/health care field? Or you a student majoring for a career in the medicual field thus the studying and knowledge?

nope. thats why i found it weird that you said lisiniprol can hurt the kidneys, because my nephrologist that I saw and still see wouldn't have had me take this if it were to hurt my kidneys, it actually helps mine. Idk why it would hurt some and not mine or others. 42% efficiency seems like a realy low efficiency level unless its for one kidney and the other one is fine and not meaning the overall production of both kidneys. People said once 42% efficiency happens the kidneys can be scarred and renal failure can happen after going lower. I didn't think mine were worse than 42% or lower. They are damaged but I would think if my kidneys were more messed up than that, I would have had kidney failure and never recovered, but I did and my kidneys are pretty good, not perfect of course but pretty good.

Yeah I'm sure your nephrologist is right and it helped you out in your situation, I just said that in certain instances ACE inhibitors would make the problem worse. ACE inhibitors are for bringing down blood pressure but sometimes the kidneys need to ramp up the pressure in order to get enough blood into the glomerulus for filtration. One such example is if you have renal artery stenosis which means the blood going to the kidney is smaller or hardened.. The kidney would release aldosterone to increase blood pressure so that enough blood would push through the stenosis in order to get into the kidney for filtration. If you use ACE inhibitors with these patients, the kidney would not receive enough blood and it will result in kidney failure. I think the would prescribe Calcium channel blockers in this instance.

I'm not doubting your doctor at all, what I'm saying is that the situation you had could be very different from Jamar so the medication wouldn't be the same. In your situation I would guess that your kidneys were below 42%. Everyone is a bit different but since your kidneys were bad enough to where you had edema then they were barely doing their job. I've seen patients with poorly functioning kidneys that looked completely normal.

As I said in my previous post, the kidneys do very good job of healing themselves in certain instances but in some cases it's imposible to expect recovery. It sounds to me that you suffered from an acute affliction (quick onset) and once you were given the steroids your kidneys were able heal. So you can and did recover. Chronic kidney problems you wouldn't be able to heal since the kidneys are past the point of healing. I'm glad that your kidneys are working well :hump:

Like you've been told you don't want to be in a prolonged state of renal inefficiency because thats when the kidney gets damaged from not getting enough blood and scarring can develop. So far that sounds like what happend to Jamar but I can't find an article that talks about it more in depth. If he did have kidney scarring then it's not something that his kidneys can recover from but the blurb contradicts itself since it says he is expected to heal :confused: So I'm not sure if it is an acute thing or a chronic thing but if it was a situation in which the doctors felt like his kidneys were inadequate I would assume this would be a much bigger story. But yeah, at 42% efficiency most people will be fine outside of the hypertension and fatigue the issue here is that it could easily get worse and worse until he goes into kidney failure.

The NFL.com guys compare the value of the falcons trading up to get Desmond Trufant vs the value of Jamar Taylor and these guys almost all had Taylor as a better or equal prospect even though we got him in the second round. They however did not talk about his kidney concerns. It is definitely an interesting video to watch even though they do not cover the trade up for Jordan

I think this kid was a steal where we got him. Lets just hope his body heals up. The power of the human body to heal itself once it is being taken care of properly is amazing.

Seems like nobody is talking about his kidneys! Thats whats really leading me to believe its not actually kidney scarring they must've made a mistake in that report. It's probably just tubular necrosis which he could recover from. Biggest thing is that they found out about this before it got any worse. I'm surprised they caught it at the combine, I don't think they actually test for kidney function but he must've had abnormally high levels of protein in his urine and they told him that he needs to get it checked out.

And yes, the human body is awesome :hi5:

He was a second round pick for us so he does have that working against him being we can't pick 2nd round players for anything. I hope Jordan doesn't bust since we also used a second rounder on him too

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Check out the link to the video below.
[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000165700/Grading-the-trades-in-the-NFL-draft[/video]

He may be a steal but I did not rea one person that had Taylor rated as good or better than Trufant

I take that back any player taken in second round should be a starting level player and almost never is a sleeper

As I said in my previous post, the kidneys do very good job of healing themselves in certain instances but in some cases it's imposible to expect recovery. It sounds to me that you suffered from an acute affliction (quick onset) and once you were given the steroids your kidneys were able heal. So you can and did recover. Chronic kidney problems you wouldn't be able to heal since the kidneys are past the point of healing. I'm glad that your kidneys are working well :hump:

Like you've been told you don't want to be in a prolonged state of renal inefficiency because thats when the kidney gets damaged from not getting enough blood and scarring can develop. So far that sounds like what happend to Jamar but I can't find an article that talks about it more in depth. If he did have kidney scarring then it's not something that his kidneys can recover from but the blurb contradicts itself since it says he is expected to heal :confused: So I'm not sure if it is an acute thing or a chronic thing but if it was a situation in which the doctors felt like his kidneys were inadequate I would assume this would be a much bigger story. But yeah, at 42% efficiency most people will be fine outside of the hypertension and fatigue the issue here is that it could easily get worse and worse until he goes into kidney failure.

yeah they are pretty well. Like I said I do have a little protein in my urine. But just slight, like my albumen level and the other one are good. I don't remember what they are called. There for two protein levels as far as if they are in this range they are fine and the other protein range. But like I said they aren't completely 100%, as evident by some protein leak, sometimes especially adults they say they can heal and recover but not usually to 100%, wheres my nephrologist, said children recovering from an acut thing like mine have a better ability to recovery all the way. I was just 18 when i had this thing. I rememer you asked if I had diabetes. Nope I don't luckily. But I did have some rare, vasuclitis like thing that hit me, I dont know what caused it. But it came on quick and last a while for my body to get out. And yeah prednison didn't work, I had to resort to cytoxin, which suppresses the immune system but stronger than prednisone. I think cancer patients take that. Mine luckily wasn't as strong, they told me I was taking 1/3 the strength of cytoxin, that cancer patients take.

It was by ivy. And since you asked, this would be good lessen for you to learn since you are in the medical field or study it. Like I said I had a rare autoimmune thing come along and it's a abbreviated or called HSP, because of the weird long name. its called Henoch–Schönlein purpura. this usually affects children, which is why i dont know how or why it got me, but like some things that hit people later in life, and can be stronger this was for me, than maybe how it would be for kids. Even though its pretty devastating even for kids who get this. ah, thats it. since i checked it on wikipedia. creatnine and urea levels. yeah like i said they are and have been good or maintined. i know not pefect, but thats how i know my kidneys have been good and the level they are. I don't know the exact level, but its been stable for a long time and good enough that my kidney doctor used to check me every 3 months the past years and he says every 6 months are good.

How about Taylor went where he should of in this draft? Let's not make out that he fell all the way down the board like Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib. He was supposedly a late round one pick/early two and he goes 54. Big deal.

Let's see how he works in camp.

The guy dropped on some teams boards because of the issue. Other teams may have took him off their boards completely. We'll never know for sure.

It may become a big issue. It may not become a big issue. We don't know. Obviously, the Dolphins were comfortable enough to take the risk and pick him when they did.

I think we can all agree that it is an issue no matter who drafted him. But such is the risk/reward game that is the NFL draft. I for one am fine with the Fins taking the chance.

Moving on....

So we're assuming that teams that passed on him had no reason?

Kidneys functioning at 42% is ok for a professional athlete playing in sweltering heat and humidity?

Who would have you taken at 54?

I was rooting for this player to fall to 54. I love the pick. I had him mocked to Atlanta in RD1. I will stand by this pick until he proves otherwise. Good kid. Has been coached up. Excellent skills.

As long as he is healthy and will remain so, and live a full life (lost my godmother to kidney failure so it's a soft spot), then I will say I'm glad he fell to us. Wouldn't want to feel so happy about it if his well being is at stake.

What test is the 42% based on? Was it simple blood work or something like a GFR?

The entire top end of our draft was Boom or Bust this year:

-Jordan could be great or a bust if we cant find the right position for him/he cant develop at DE
-Taylor could be a great steal in the 2nd or have health problems his whole career
-Thomas could be a solid starting G or may be a career backup

According to the analysts and scouting reports on these guys, it could be an unbelievable or awful draft looking back in 3 years. Def riskier than I remember. And we took a lot of guys with injury concerns this year, more than I ever remember in the past. But I guess that is where some of the value comes from these guys falling.

Back
Top Bottom