Jamar Taylor's Kidney Issue May Have Made Him Slip to #54 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jamar Taylor's Kidney Issue May Have Made Him Slip to #54

A great side effect of the combine is all the testing they do that reveals potentially serious (preventable) medical conditions that otherwise wouldn't have been defected.

What test is the 42% based on? Was it simple blood work or something like a GFR?

I am sure it was GFR which is estimated based on size and blood work.

The only true way to know would be to get a kidney biopsy. Which I doubt happend.

I am sure it was GFR which is estimated based on size and blood work.

The only true way to know would be to get a kidney biopsy. Which I doubt happend.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...er-leavingheat-marlins.html#storylink=addthis
When Taylor had a biopsy, it was determined the blood pressure medication was causing the problem, and there was no pre-existing kidney condition. So he was placed on new blood pressure medication and told not to take anti-inflammatories.

His kidneys were left with scar tissue, but doctors expect their operating efficiency to improve. He’ll have another test in a few months.

This is a real bummer. Just when things couldn't get any worse. This draft was filled with question marks surrounding 3 of the 1st 4 picks. I was excited when Taylor was chosen and afterwards thinking he could be the 1 definite of the bunch. What makes it worse, is the feeling, that several times other teams picked a player, Miami would seemingly be picking, just before Miami made their picks. The notion Ireland panicked in round 3 and the strong possibility He never got to pick the players he was truly interested in taking. Add all this up and it kind puts you in a very down mood. I just hope for Taylor's sake he can get healthy and can live a good life. Playing football seems to be the least of his problems. With Grimes, Louis, Keller Jordan and Thomas all recovering from injuries this situation kind of compounds things. God Bless Jamar Taylor!!!

Thanks Nublar.
There are several factors here that are concerning.
It may not affect him now, but will likely shorten his lifespan as an NFL player.

If I were the Dolphins I would get the best kidney doctor in South Florida to watch him very closely.

Yup

Yeah I'm sure your nephrologist is right and it helped you out in your situation, I just said that in certain instances ACE inhibitors would make the problem worse. ACE inhibitors are for bringing down blood pressure but sometimes the kidneys need to ramp up the pressure in order to get enough blood into the glomerulus for filtration. One such example is if you have renal artery stenosis which means the blood going to the kidney is smaller or hardened.. The kidney would release aldosterone to increase blood pressure so that enough blood would push through the stenosis in order to get into the kidney for filtration. If you use ACE inhibitors with these patients, the kidney would not receive enough blood and it will result in kidney failure. I think the would prescribe Calcium channel blockers in this instance.

I'm not doubting your doctor at all, what I'm saying is that the situation you had could be very different from Jamar so the medication wouldn't be the same. In your situation I would guess that your kidneys were below 42%. Everyone is a bit different but since your kidneys were bad enough to where you had edema then they were barely doing their job. I've seen patients with poorly functioning kidneys that looked completely normal.

As I said in my previous post, the kidneys do very good job of healing themselves in certain instances but in some cases it's imposible to expect recovery. It sounds to me that you suffered from an acute affliction (quick onset) and once you were given the steroids your kidneys were able heal. So you can and did recover. Chronic kidney problems you wouldn't be able to heal since the kidneys are past the point of healing. I'm glad that your kidneys are working well :hump:

Like you've been told you don't want to be in a prolonged state of renal inefficiency because thats when the kidney gets damaged from not getting enough blood and scarring can develop. So far that sounds like what happend to Jamar but I can't find an article that talks about it more in depth. If he did have kidney scarring then it's not something that his kidneys can recover from but the blurb contradicts itself since it says he is expected to heal :confused: So I'm not sure if it is an acute thing or a chronic thing but if it was a situation in which the doctors felt like his kidneys were inadequate I would assume this would be a much bigger story. But yeah, at 42% efficiency most people will be fine outside of the hypertension and fatigue the issue here is that it could easily get worse and worse until he goes into kidney failure.

Seems like nobody is talking about his kidneys! Thats whats really leading me to believe its not actually kidney scarring they must've made a mistake in that report. It's probably just tubular necrosis which he could recover from. Biggest thing is that they found out about this before it got any worse. I'm surprised they caught it at the combine, I don't think they actually test for kidney function but he must've had abnormally high levels of protein in his urine and they told him that he needs to get it checked out.

And yes, the human body is awesome :hi5:

Well, he likely wouldn't admit if he was feeling the effects of his problems or he may have attributed it to something else. I'm sure he told all the teams that he never felt like anything was wrong and that very possible since a lot of people with kidney problems don't even realize there is something going on.. Symptoms are generally mild - things like light headedness and fatigue.
The issue I am trying to understand is why the doctors would be telling him his kidney function is going to improve.. If they told him that that means he does not have kidney scarring. His condition will improve due to medication and diet management, but the kidney itself will never improve function. As I said in my previous post, once your glomerulus is damaged thats it, theres nothing that can be done to bring back their function. That's what leads me to believe there may be some discrepancy in the reporting maybe it's not actually kidney scarring.

Great posts. Are you a med student too? His case is a neat one. I'm finding it hard to make sense of it, but I haven't had pathology yet. Anyway, it's for the same reasons you brought up. I've also never heard of anti-hypertensives causing renal fibrosis.

What test is the 42% based on? Was it simple blood work or something like a GFR?

Probably just a creatinine measurement.

Thanks Nublar.
There are several factors here that are concerning.
It may not affect him now, but will likely shorten his lifespan as an NFL player.

If I were the Dolphins I would get the best kidney doctor in South Florida to watch him very closely.

They have Dr. Lyons across the street... the hardest professor in all of south florida!

The take home message here that needs to be understood is that you can throw the textbooks out the window. As someone who has spend a majority of my 20's obtaining a doctorate degree in the medical field, I can assure you that the prognosis of this individuals condition is as varied as there are people on the planet. As medical professionals we have a tendency to categorize every patient that comes through the door using some kind of textbook analysis that we learned in school. The reality is that the kidneys are unbelievably resilient. I have seen patients in the ICU who have GFR's under 20 and require dialysis at some point, bounce back and walk out the door with a very stable kidney function that should suffice for the rest of their lives. Conversely, I have seen the opposite.

My guess without really reading up on this kid is that this kid has genetic deficiency that resulted in him having blood pressure abnormalities. Being African American pre-disposes you to having hypertension (high blood pressure). We are not 100% sure why but the current theory, amongst many, is that Africans being brought over to North America in the past 200 years have been exposed to a radically different diet than their ancestors in Africa. This makes treating black Americans much "harder" than say Caucasians and see's many black Americans on 3-4 different hypertension meds. While it is true that no matter what medication you take comes at a trade off for side effects and potential organ damage, the prevalence is low and really is a risk versus benefit approach. It is unfortunate that he succumbed to known potential drug adverse effects. However, as stated in other posts, once these medications are removed the kidneys will indeed increase their function and he can generally lead a "normal" life. Remember many people donate a kidney to a loved one and can lead "normal" lives. Never have a heard that once a kidney is donated that sports cannot be played. The body will adjust and it does remarkably. He may have to restrict his protein intake, supplement with nephro vitamins and make sure that doctors and trainers monitor his hydration status in the brutal south florida heat. However, I am thinking that once he hits the field this is going to be an afterthought but can understand how teams would shy away from the risk he presents to any team that is responsible for his welfare on the field. It's all about business and protecting your investment. It isn't like we are talking about the number one pick in the draft.

There's still a VERY good chance that this is all not a significant problem for Jamar Taylor.

All I am saying is that there's going to be a reach for Dol-Fans to spin this into a positive. Teams passed on Jamar Taylor because of this but it's really not something that deserves any amount of concern because...Miami Herald article. That's not what you should be thinking. Least it's not what you should be thinking if you want to be accurate. If this is really nothing to be concerned about then he went 54 overall because that's what teams thought of him.

It wouldn't be surprising. Heading into the 2012 season the National Scouting and BLESTO people had Taylor with about a 7th round grade, if I'm not mistaken.

Surely the FO didn't operate in a vacuum and was well aware of this. LIkely, that's why we took that second CB also. Most important is putting Taylor in a circumstance with the potential to enhance his health, not diminish it.. and then set up regular monitoring protocols. If he fell out of the late first round strictly due to this medical concern, then if our medical staff can get him normalized, we've made a he3lluva pick. If not, then we swung and missed. Bracket that vs RG3, whose draft rights were acquired for a king's ransom, already with an injury and concussion history in the less competitive and violent NCAA. It was a calculated risk by Washington that has paid dividends the first year but also provided plenty of confirming cause for concern. In RG3's case: high risk high gain, in ours: medium risk/medium to high gain. In both cases: only time will tell.

He hasn't been affected on the field in the past, he says he feels fine and the doctors told him the kidneys will improve now that they switched his medication. Until it becomes a medical problem for him that it starts affecting his daily life(doesn't sound like it will), I wouldn't really worry about it. I am sure it scared some teams away, just like Star Lotulelei's heart condition scared teams away. The fact is they caught it at the combine and he can now make the adjustments to prevent a major problem in the future.

As long as he is healthy and will remain so, and live a full life (lost my godmother to kidney failure so it's a soft spot), then I will say I'm glad he fell to us. Wouldn't want to feel so happy about it if his well being is at stake.

True. In reality, does Ireland really care about this issue long term? If the docs told him that this kid should be able to play for next 4-8 years at a high level, I'm sure that's all he needed to know.

This a business, so there is no sympathy from management regarding this kid. If he can't play year 2 due to this issue he will be cut - it's a simple as that.

i heard he needs surgery. Would you donate one of your kidneys if it meant he would be the dolphins best corner since surtain?

Back
Top Bottom