Jets Robertson Deal Falls Through | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets Robertson Deal Falls Through

I am sure someine will take DRob and they will have to cut some players before the draft. I don't think they would have to shop their #1 because they could always release someone. Does anyone have updated cap info on the Jets. Regardless of the numbers their team looks better than ours on paper at this point. Hate to say it.
We are still around $10 or $11 million under the cap WITH Robertsons huge salary.When we trade him we free up another $8 million to play with.We will be quite comfortable even if we keep Robertson for the whole season.It's NO problem........:woot:

if you come to a Dolphins board and try to crow, then realize the truth hurts too much, so you have to revert to bashing last years record, then by all means run that weak game of yours.
Problem is years from now it will get harder and harder to reference 1-15.

Weak game? Problem is that all that i have been seeing is post bashing other teams choices on here, and that Miami's choices have been all great. What i do notice is that when one of your fan seems to be objective on their teams picks, as well as the Jet's picsk, they get belittled and bashed by their own teams fans. Record aside, we both sucked last year, nobody is going to know if a team made a bad decision until the end of the next season.

By the way, i have been a member here for a long time, i know how this place works, and i happen to be friends with a bunch of FIns fans, dont try and bait, not going to work.

Rhodes will get his new deal after the draft this spring.Most of our young guys are under contract.That's why the Jets fight so hard to get 5 or 6 year deals in place after the draft.We are in great shape for YEARS to come.

Hey BleedinGreenNC,I just noticed you're from North Carolina.I moved here about 14 years ago myself.I live in Statesville,NC.

DIdnt know that! Might have to get a group of us together and go see a game!

You obviously do not pay attention, we are dumping players that dont fit the system, we are grabbing guys that fit the system.

You are correct, very similar to us (ferguson trade). I do think you guys are much improved. However, two HUGE question marks with all that money given out. For one Jenkins might fit as a NT, but he hasn't played it, and he hasn't been able to stay healthy. You gave up two draft picks for him AND gave him a ****load of money. Woody has been a guard his whole career and was a swinging door for defensive ends getting to the quarterback at tackle last year - so why is he suddenly going to be an upgrade at RT? Faneca is a good signing - but you again gave him a TON of cash and he is 31. The jets CANNOT EVER be any good until you have a QUARTERBACK. Vilma is a GREAT linebacker and you gave him away because he no longer fits.

I would even go so far as to say the Dolphins will be a better team next year - because I have more faith in our quarterbacks than your team.

You said you were paying him a low base salary. What exactly is that low base salary you speak of?
Most contracts are imaginary numbers that are never reached because the base salaries are backloaded with HUGE amounts of cash that the player will never actually get paid.He is probably scheduled to make around $10 million per year in base salary in the final two years of that deal,which is $20 million.
The team will either renegotiate that deal around year 4 or cut the player with no significant cap penalty at that time,other than the remaining prorated bonus money.The deal is actually for the guaranteed potion and nothing more really.That means we will actually pay him in the neighborhood of around $26-28 million for this deal.

You are correct, very similar to us (ferguson trade). I do think you guys are much improved. However, two HUGE question marks with all that money given out. For one Jenkins might fit as a NT, but he hasn't played it, and he hasn't been able to stay healthy. You gave up two draft picks for him AND gave him a ****load of money. Woody has been a guard his whole career and was a swinging door for defensive ends getting to the quarterback at tackle last year - so why is he suddenly going to be an upgrade at RT? Faneca is a good signing - but you again gave him a TON of cash and he is 31. The jets CANNOT EVER be any good until you have a QUARTERBACK. Vilma is a GREAT linebacker and you gave him away because he no longer fits.

I would even go so far as to say the Dolphins will be a better team next year - because I have more faith in our quarterbacks than your team.

I also question the amount of money that we gave out, but hey, lets see what happens. WE DO NEED A QB!! Spot on with that one!:up:

I also question the amount of money that we gave out, but hey, lets see what happens. WE DO NEED A QB!! Spot on with that one!:up:

I'm not sure about the QB thing.I think we need to see what Clemens can do behind a decent offensive line.It's hard for any Qb to throw from their back,just ask Tom Brady!:lol:

I have respect for your acquisition of talent, not trying to bait at all, but does all that guaranteed money accurately represent the talent you acquired? of course not, no team outright wins during FA in terms of value. The Jets have chosen to throw that money around so that is why the jets are catching some flak at the moment

Most contracts are imaginary numbers that are never reached because the base salaries are backloaded with HUGE amounts of cash that the player will never actually get paid.He is probably scheduled to make around $10 million per year in base salary in the final two years of that deal,which is $20 million.
The team will either renegotiate that deal around year 4 or cut the player with no significant cap penalty at that time,other than the remaining prorated bonus money.The deal is actually for the guaranteed potion and nothing more really.That means we will actually pay him in the neighborhood of around $26-28 million for this deal.
So you were just speculating that he has a low base salary? I generally don't have a problem with you or anyone else speculating but don't try to make it sound like it is a fact when you really don't know.

The salary cap won't matter in three years anyway if the owners opt out of the current CBA.

I have respect for your acquisition of talent, not trying to bait at all, but does all that guaranteed money accurately represent the talent you acquired? of course not, no team outright wins during FA in terms of value. The Jets have chosen to throw that money around so that is why the jets are catching some flak at the moment

Just like you guys getting crap for Porter last year.

We understand that as well.What some may not realize is that with the cap increasing as it has over the past few seasons,these contracts will seem like a bargain in a couple of years,just watch and see.Remember when the Vikings paid Steve Hutchinson that $49 million dollar contract that piad him $7 million per year?THAT is a bargain for that caliber player,looking at it two years later.That's point that some front offices are starting to realize.

Truthfully, as much as I hate the Jets, my concern about all their moves and the ramifications on their cap are really secondary. I thought PAce would've been a nice addition, but I'm glad we didn't pay that much for a guy who's had one good year. He could be great or a bust, but it just seems like too large a gamble for a team coming off a 1-15 season. He's going to get the same over the first 3 years as Moss is going to get in 3 years w/ Pats. I think in the next year or two, there'll be a comparable or better talent available via FA or draft for equivalent money. Since we're a couple years away, I'm content to wait, as hard as it may be. The one thing that may change that position is if the league goes uncapped in 2010 as some have predicted. That would reward teams who have splurged since that won't have to deal with the consequences of their spending. It would also mean salaries could potentially skyrocket even more. Still in all, I think you need to stay prepared for a cap of some sort. I think the Jets are just in win now mode while we're rebuilding. It's a different approach and we'll see how it works out for both teams. The Jets should get immediate payoff, where as we need to look for our big jump in 2-3 years.

We understand that as well.What some may not realize is that with the cap increasing as it has over the past few seasons,these contracts will seem like a bargain in a couple of years,just watch and see.Remember when the Vikings paid Steve Hutchinson that $49 million dollar contract that piad him $7 million per year?THAT is a bargain for that caliber player,looking at it two years later.That's point that some front offices are starting to realize.

I fully agree with this post. You still need to make sure you're paying for quality, however. The big question is what happens to the cap in 2010 and thereafter. Of course, we won't know until it happens.

So you were just speculating that he has a low base salary? I generally don't have a problem with you or anyone else speculating but don't try to make it sound like it is a fact when you really don't know.

The salary cap won't matter in three years anyway if the owners opt out of the current CBA.
Well,if you look at ANY contract that has been given out over the last 10 years,you will see that they are ALL structured this way.Why would the Jets suddenly change the way that they make deals,or any other team for that matter.I would bet you my life savings that is the way it is written.It's the only way it is cap feasible for any team.It's just the way teams do business.

Back
Top Bottom