Jones vs. Weeden...let our debates commence | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jones vs. Weeden...let our debates commence

when you run for 300 yards like okla st did last night it should be that much easier for you to bang the opposition in the passing game...especially when you have a talent like justin blackmon on the outside and play in a spread...i know weeden made some nfl throws last night and his arm strength was apparent like it always is...but he also missed some things given how much short downs and distances he had that imo he should have made...that and the fact he barely got laid a fingernail on last night...

its not short sighted nothing...i'll agree with ck that he's the next guy in line after luck and barkley we should probably go after but its not a close race...and we're talking about at minimum a rounds value difference b/t em...at least

OSU was killing them all night, there was no need for Weeden to push it. He did miss a few throws, so go ahead if you want to focus on that. Personally, contrary to what you and most others believe, I'd rather have Weeden as the Dolphins QB than Barkley. I like Weeden's arm stength, accuracy, decision making, size, nimbleness and awareness in the pocket- pretty much everything. There isn't much else for me to say about it, there isn't much else to be gained by discussing it. We'll learn more at the combines and all star games if they both participate. Other than that, we'll see how they do as pros.

well then stop quoting my posts...if there isn't much else to be said or gained...cause my stance isn't gonna change...and nothing i've seen on tape should make it

there's no way weeden should go in the top 32 picks though...so miami if we can't get our qb in the top of round 1 needs to go bpa playmaker and at minimum wait on him til early round 2...at minimum...and even then i'm not in love with it by any means

If they have a conviction on that, I really can't argue with it. And if we took DeCastro at #8 I'd be ok with that. Teams are at the mercy of where they pick and what their needs are.
This is something I cannot agree with. We have seemed to agree on quite a few things in the past...but here Im just not with yah. I really like DeCastro..but at pick #8...Id be very disappointed. I just cant get down with a G in the top 10 picks..I dont care how good they are. Ashlon Jeffries, Courtney Upshaw, Trent Richardson, heck Id even take a shot on Janoris Jenkins if his interviews checked out. Someone will be at pick 8 who offers more to the team than what a G can. just my opinion of course

well then stop quoting my posts...if there isn't much else to be said or gained...cause my stance isn't gonna change...and nothing i've seen on tape should make it

there's no way weeden should go in the top 32 picks though...so miami if we can't get our qb in the top of round 1 needs to go bpa playmaker and at minimum wait on him til early round 2...at minimum...and even then i'm not in love with it by any means

Fair enough. The only reason that I bothered was that I found your ctriticism of Weeden last night to be short sighted and off base, lacking a true vision of what was really going on. You don't see a top 32 guy in Weeden and I see an average armed, maybe mid first round talent in Barkley. Whatever, it doesn't really matter, we're all just spouting meaningless opinions anyway, for our own amusement. You're no big fan of my QB analysis and I'm no big fan of yours, there's no mystery or crime in that.

This is something I cannot agree with. We have seemed to agree on quite a few things in the past...but here Im just not with yah. I really like DeCastro..but at pick #8...Id be very disappointed. I just cant get down with a G in the top 10 picks..I dont care how good they are. Ashlon Jeffries, Courtney Upshaw, Trent Richardson, heck Id even take a shot on Janoris Jenkins if his interviews checked out. Someone will be at pick 8 who offers more to the team than what a G can. just my opinion of course

Eight is kind of high, but it wouldn't bother me- the defense played great last year is picking it up this year, I'm more inclined to focus on the offense this year. Tyron Smith went where, 9 last year to Dallas? A good prospect, but elite? I'd rather have DeCastro. I don't buy in to the G/C argument, not worth higher picks. It depends on the quality of the player in question. But #8 is high for a WR as well- risky spot unless you really have a conviction. I brought up the scenario thinking what do you do if you can't trade down in the 1st. Looking at what's there and what we need- I'd bve fine with DeCastro as long as we got Weeden in the 2nd. Would I prefer Blackmon? Yes. Would Claiborne be a solid talent pick?. Yes. But I'd be Ok with DeCastro- I just look at him and Konz as being nearly sure things at OL, and we need the help there. But you have to get Weeden, and for the Barkley fans you have to get Barkley. Other than that, it seems like a good year to load up on quality OL.

when you run for 300 yards like okla st did last night it should be that much easier for you to bang the opposition in the passing game...especially when you have a talent like justin blackmon on the outside and play in a spread...i know weeden made some nfl throws last night and his arm strength was apparent like it always is...but he also missed some things given how much short downs and distances he had that imo he should have made...that and the fact he barely got laid a fingernail on last night...

its not short sighted nothing...i'll agree with ck that he's the next guy in line after luck and barkley we should probably go after but its not a close race...and we're talking about at minimum a rounds value difference b/t em...at least

Ultimately I agree with you that Barkley should be the choice over Weeden, and even agree on the difference in value between the two.

However I think you've got it backwards as far as what happened last night. The running game didn't open up or make things easy for the passing game, it was the other way around. Oklahoma came out in packages intended to slow down that great passing attack and Todd Monken anticipated it, hit them with a great game plan to make them pay.

I tell you what. Brandon Weeden isn't the only guy I'd consider adding to the Dolphins. If Todd Monken is interested in returning to the NFL as a full coordinator, I would give him an interview. I would also consider CBs Coach Jason Jones for a secondary coach job here.

Ultimately I agree with you that Barkley should be the choice over Weeden, and even agree on the difference in value between the two.

However I think you've got it backwards as far as what happened last night. The running game didn't open up or make things easy for the passing game, it was the other way around. Oklahoma came out in packages intended to slow down that great passing attack and Todd Monken anticipated it, hit them with a great game plan to make them pay.

I tell you what. Brandon Weeden isn't the only guy I'd consider adding to the Dolphins. If Todd Monken is interested in returning to the NFL as a full coordinator, I would give him an interview. I would also consider CBs Coach Jason Jones for a secondary coach job here.

Todd Monken? Really?

If Luck, Barkley, and Jones are off the board at eight. I'm trading down or taking Matt Kalil and shopping Big Jake.

If Luck, Barkley, and Jones are off the board at eight. I'm trading down or taking Matt Kalil and shopping Big Jake.

Whats the point of picking a LT and trading your pro bowl LT? So you get another 1st? Isn't that kind of going in circles. Plus there's no guarantee that Kahlil will be as good as Jake.

Whats the point of picking a LT and trading your pro bowl LT? So you get another 1st? Isn't that kind of going in circles. Plus there's no guarantee that Kahlil will be as good as Jake.

Well for one, it will save $10 million per year on the salary cap, and with an extra $10M you can bring in 2 very good players in free agency. Or one very big difference maker. Jake is already the 13th highest paid player in the league and his agent will seek closer to $15M per year on a 5 or 6 year deal next year... making him a Top-10 highest paid player..

that's elite QB money and a huge chunk of the salary cap on a LT. After next season he'll be up for renewal.

With the rookie wage scale in full effect, Kalil will only make $4-5M per year on a 5-year deal, or thereabouts if he goes somewhere around #4 to #8 overall. There in lies the huge difference. Over the next 5 or 6 years, Jake will have contracts where he'll be 3 TIMES more expensive than Kalil.

Well for one, it will save $10 million per year on the salary cap, and with an extra $10M you can bring in 2 very good players in free agency. Or one very big difference maker. Jake is already the 13th highest paid player in the league and his agent will seek closer to $15M per year on a 5 or 6 year deal next year... making him a Top-10 highest paid player..

that's elite QB money and a huge chunk of the salary cap on a LT. After next season he'll be up for renewal.

With the rookie wage scale in full effect, Kalil will only make $4-5M per year on a 5-year deal, or thereabouts if he goes somewhere around #4 to #8 overall. There in lies the huge difference. Over the next 5 or 6 years, Jake will have contracts where he'll be 3 TIMES more expensive than Kalil.

That makes a lot of sense.

I still just wouldn't like it for the fact that you're not really getting better next year and instead would likely be trading Jake for a 2013 1st.

You'd be gambling that both those players turn into Jake Long type players.

Luck we will have to trade our entire draft to get, so he is very unlikely

Barkley is, imo, just as good as Luck is, and if he comes out would love to get him. However, we will probably have to trade up to get him.

If we cant get either of these, I would prefer to sign Matt Flynn, who I believe is an UFA after this season, instead of drafting Weeden or Jones. Neither Weeden nor Jones has shown me a lot to get excited about. As an LSU alum, I watched every game Flynn played, and he has pocket poise, a strong arm, reads defenses well and doesnt get rattled. He has also had the opportunity to sit and learn from probably the best Qb in the game right now in Aaron Rodgers.

don't fire the dbs coach...get sean smith off the starting boundary cb and things get a lot better around here...good grief...chad chilenz even uses this kid...a converted te pretty much

Back
Top Bottom