Jones vs. Weeden...let our debates commence | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jones vs. Weeden...let our debates commence

I am very pleased with tonight. We have to dumb this down as much as possible for the Miami front office. You can't watch this game and possibly think Landry Jones is a playoff starting quarterback in the league. Very slow to process things. Even the Dolphins front office has to see this and recognize they should not waste a pick on this kid. Then again, they picked Henne. I want this as simple as "see Spot run" for these guys.

Hopefully our new FO will actually be competent and we wont have to worry about it quite as much.

It'd be so cool if we had a franchise QB in Miami who's name starts with the word "weed"

Big intangible there !

landry jones blows...guy hasn't picked up a free blitzer at the los all night and he's a damn statue against the rush...this kid can't hold sam bradfords jock...we better not take this trash

and weeden sure hasn't been anything to get all that excited about...barely touched all game and still outside of a few throws down the field where the arm was impressive pretty damn average

you guys are nuts if you even consider taking either of these kids over matt barkley...lmao...get the hell out of here

I'd much rather have Weeden. It's not about his upside, it's about his lack of downside...
I would EASILY take Nick Foles or Ryan Tannehill over Jones. Whatever team totally wastes a 1st round pick on Jones will be very sorry. Let's hope the Dolphins are not stupid enough.

Weeden has a lack of downside. I like that.

I have said it before & will say it again... OU QB's rarely pan out in the NFL. Bradford may be the exception to that assertion. Aikman doesn't count.

I'd take Foles, Tannehill, & RGIII before Jones.

Cousins and Stephen Garcia might be safer picks than Jones

and this isn't a one game reaction from me to jones especially...i was the one on here trying to tell people in september even i think it was that he's got way too much chad henne in him...he throws a hell of a from the opposite hash to the far sideline deep out and that looks great and all but he's late all the time on the field and has to see the play develop never anticipates a damn thing and locks on his targets...and he throws the ball way too much into coverage in the middle of the field...his tape is littered with this...another kid that will move the ball b/t the 20's and struggle in the red zone

big arm yeah i get it but thats about it if you ask me...tonight ball placement and accuracy spotty at best not close to sam bradford level when he was at oklahoma...and kids got lead feet...i will break my tv if we take this kid on draft day in the top 10 or as our qb prospect period...hells no...i don't care how many bs yards he passes for in that offense...hells no

and this isn't a one game reaction from me to jones especially...i was the one on here trying to tell people in september even i think it was that he's got way too much chad henne in him...he throws a hell of a from the opposite hash to the far sideline deep out and that looks great and all but he's late all the time on the field and has to see the play develop never anticipates a damn thing and locks on his targets...and he throws the ball way too much into coverage in the middle of the field...his tape is littered with this...another kid that will move the ball b/t the 20's and struggle in the red zone

big arm yeah i get it but thats about it if you ask me...tonight ball placement and accuracy spotty at best not close to sam bradford level when he was at oklahoma...and kids got lead feet...i will break my tv if we take this kid on draft day in the top 10 or as our qb prospect period...hells no...i don't care how many bs yards he passes for in that offense...hells no

+1

Compare him to Barkley, who (1) makes the pre-snap read, (2) can look off defenders, (3) make his progressions, (4) has a quick release, (5) and enough arm strength. Plus Barkley has leadership ability and is a mature and great kid.

this draft is luck and barkley...they're the ones everyone should be coveting...screw all this other noise

+1

Compare him to Barkley, who (1) makes the pre-snap read, (2) can look off defenders, (3) make his progressions, (4) has a quick release, (5) and enough arm strength. Plus Barkley has leadership ability and is a mature and great kid.

and Barkley has much better pocket feel/comfortability/presence/awareness . And this is a HUGE attribute in the NFL. Remember that ALL the Top QB's have it in spades. You name it - Brady, Brees, Manning , Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Rivers etc are all super elite when it comes to feel in the pocket and pocket comfortability and presence. This is one of the very top things you look for in QB's, with the other being ball placement.

In fact, 50%, or half of your grade on a QB should automatically be pocket feel and ball placement. All of the Top QB's are fantastic in both areas. You CANNOT be a Top level NFL QB in this day and age UNLESS you're extremely good in not one, but BOTH areas. PERIOD.

What is one of the main reasons why Gabbert sucks so bad in comparison to a guy like Newton ? Newton from what I've seen is 1000 times superior in the pocket and Gabbert is just lost in there. Gabbert has ZERO feel/comfortability and no pocket presence to speak of. He's a deer in headlights in there. This destroys half his game and half his talent right off the bat. And that was the main reason why I absolutely hated Gabbert as a prospect and knew he'd stink at the next level, in the NFL.

It's also why Henne stinks and will never lead a team to the post season. And will never threaten to be a Top 10 QB. Because above all else., his pocket awareness/feel stinks, and his overall ball placement ability on a lot of throws absolutely sucks (zero ball placement ability on touch throws and poor ball placement ability in tight windows).

John Beck, same thing. Just atrocious pocket comfortability and ZERO pocket presence and awareness/feel. forget everything else, just look at that one thing/criteria and you see how it affects the rest of his game because he's so god awful in the pocket.

Marino ? He had the best pocket "feel" I've ever seen for a slow guy and a rookie coming out of college. His pocket comfortability and presence was 2nd to none as a very young player back in 83 and 84. And his ball placement was super elite coming right out of college (combined with a cannon and a lightning quick release). And there you have it. Hence record breaking seasons soon after entering the league in his early 20's

Landry Jones is just garbage and will be a huge bust in the NFL. He is not an NFL caliber starting quarterback and never will be (will be for a short while when a stupid team spends a high pick on him as they HAVE to start him to see what they have, but after the obvious ensues and he folds like a cheap tent, he'll never be a starter again)

He wasnt that bad against Iowa State???

He was absolutely TERRIBLE against a bad Texas Tech team though.
It was pretty bad, but he got a good amount of help (or lack thereof) from his teammates. It was a hilarious game to watch.

I'd be disappointed if we end up with either. Neither are capable of solving our problems. I don't see anything but mistake prone mediocrity from Landry. Weeden's age is impossible to overlook. I'd be thrilled with Luck. Very happy with Barkley. Intrigued by RG3. Anyone else would require a good deal of convincing and alcohol for me to get excited about.

Landry looked lost.

And Weeden looked like a quality backup QB in the NFL.

Can we just get Barkley and be done with this QB talk???

Back
Top Bottom