JP Losman over Vernon Carey??? ...maybe? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JP Losman over Vernon Carey??? ...maybe?

Justasportsfan said:
I can't really comment on Losman because I hardly follow College football. However, people who followed Losman's carreer think he'll be a good qb. Some guys here even wanted him to be a fin. Ask those who are Tulane fans. Losman has done very well considering the OL he had.

I guess Carey , Bua ,Poole will be great but all those who didn't end up a fin will be busts. That's expected on a fins board.

It's the same way on the Bills boards. Actually it's the same way here on this board according to you and Circling..But seriously, I hope Losman pans out for you guys because Donahue is on a roll with his last few picks..

In regards to the original post about Losman and whether or not he will be a quality player in this league, I have a novel idea....Why don't we all wait until he has at least a year or two of experience under his belt before we start making predictions? Personally, I think he has a good shot at being a quality QB eventually (after he works on some character issues) but the fact of the matter is nobody knows yet.

The exact same goes for Carey (unproven), Feeley (unproven), and every other player who has not had the chance to prove themselves yet. There must be a good reason the Bills picked him because, believe it or not, there are no idiots running football teams in this league (even though it's hard to see sometimes). Every teams FO knows their stuff and does their best. Let's all wait until the season is underway before we make predictions based on nothing.

Iamlegend said:
If AJ is having the same struggles as Losman then that just proves that Losman could possibly be better. Hes a rookie, AJ has been in the league for a few years. But im not saying which is better all im saying is that Feidler is **** and hasnt taken us anywhere in 4 years so we should have dumped his *** and got a veteran QB who could have molded Losman for us, making him a better player. Thats what bledsoe is gonna do. Losman wont even play unless Drew gets hurt this year, and thats expected. I didnt say bring Losman in to start. And as for AJ coming along nicely... i havent heard that anywhere. I heard he was having trouble with the offense by using Philly's name associated plays instead of Miamis Numerical system. Also hes still not better then Feidler which buts him at the bottom of my list until hes better becuse quite frankly Jay is garbage.

Maybe we should just fire Rick Spielman and hire you..You seem to know alot more than he does. A.J. is struggling in May ? Are you kidding me..Atleast wait for the first pre-season game..And did you forget what Ron Wolf himself said ? The Guru that really knows about QB's..Look I'm not going to sit here and predict what Losman will be, because you just bever know..For the Bills fans sake I hope the best..But I know that Rick has done a wonderful job through FA and Draft and briging in some young talent in across the board..I can't wait to see A.J. at the next QB school because I know right now he is miles ahead of where he was a few weeks ago. And he will continue to get better. I just keep reminding myself that if A.J. had the time in this offense that Jay had, we would be the SB favorites right now..Just wait in see as the offseason progress how A.J. is going to develop..And if Wise can make a third rounder (Wade Smith ) into a solid starter for the entire year, just Imagine what he's going to do with a first round like Big Vernon Carey..

Iamlegend said:
Enough of the jibber jabber! If Carey was better then both of them why is he already set to be backing them both up????? Oh and anyone who leaves their former team isnt gonna be held in the highest reguards by their former team. David Boston isnt liked by the chargers!

There could be more players being cut still, im not an analyist so i dont know who will be sorry. And Actually there was still much talent left in the draft after Carey.

Are you slow or are you just young ? There's a thing call earning your spot on the team, Tony Wise and Dave have been to SB's and have won National Championships so I think they have a clue on what they are doing. As matter of fact maybe you should be a writer for the Herald because you speaking alot of non-sense.

ABrownLamp said:
Four years is enough wait... hence AJ Feeley. What basis do you have for thinking Losman is better? Watched a lot of Tulane football? We already addressed the OL with FA? Really? Which player do you think solved our problems? Old and flabby St. Clair or is it Ankles McIntosh that you think has the solution? Hey, I have a question for you. Why do you think the Dolphins gave up their fourth round selection to guarantee Carey if they could have substituted him with another pick later on in draft? Why do you think they would do something like that?
And as far as free agency goes, who is it that you think the Dolphins should acquire? I mean who were you talking about when you said we should have signed a veteran? Dude, why do you think Jerman is starting for us at guard instead of the Dolphins picking up a veteran? BECAUSE THERE ARE NO QUALITY VETERANS TO PICK UP!!!

The funny thing is that he's high Losman who has not played a down in the NFL yet..But he's down on A.J. Feeley who's at seven career starts and let his team into the playoffs..Amazing..I wonder if he's thinking before he post..

Iamlegend said:
You people think to hard, it was a simple "what if?" But actually i LOOOOOVE flabby Oline men. And Ankles mcintosh? How about Ankles Ricky Williams in New Orleans???????? oh wait hes doing great with the phins.....

I dont know what your talking about, but i never said we could get carey later in the draft. I know he would have been taken within the next 2 or 3 picks. Why do i think they would insure they would get carey?????? How about this, why do you think we've had jay fiedler as our starting qb for the past 4 years? why do we still have dave wansted as our coach?

Very simple.... because our head office ****ing sucks. Thats why!

Greg jerman.... yea you got a point about him. Its called wishful thinking buddy. lol. Dont take everything everyone says so seriously you might hurt yourself. haha

Stop speaking so much trash and maybe no one would hurt themselves. You are sounding like a thirteen year old kid..And Jerman has been here for three years, was a Tackle first but now is a guard. Trust me he could handle the RG position. He did a fine job in his only start against the Ravens last year..You can go back and watch the game yourself..

Justasportsfan said:
I can't really comment on Losman because I hardly follow College football. However, people who followed Losman's carreer think he'll be a good qb. Some guys here even wanted him to be a fin. Ask those who are Tulane fans. Losman has done very well considering the OL he had.

I guess Carey , Bua ,Poole will be great but all those who didn't end up a fin will be busts. That's expected on a fins board.
damn right! This is a fin board and its expected...All other fans need not apply

My feeling was when you have a chance at a real bluechip quarterback in the draft and you don't have one you have to take him. Carey will be a good O-lineman, and may turn out to be more successful, who knows? I did watch Losman and he is really talented, huge arm, extremely mobile.

When I think back on how few times we've had a shot a QB like that it makes wonder if a mistake was not made, O-lineman are always available.

BlueFin said:
My feeling was when you have a chance at a real bluechip quarterback in the draft and you don't have one you have to take him. Carey will be a good O-lineman, and may turn out to be more successful, who knows? I did watch Losman and he is really talented, huge arm, extremely mobile.

When I think back on how few times we've had a shot a QB like that it makes wonder if a mistake was not made, O-lineman are always available.

I think there are borderline second round QBs available every year also. ;)

Phinzone said:
that was directed at the Bill's fan :) . Apparenly I hurt his feelings because I don't think Losman will be a respectable QB down the road. He hinted at us being "homers" and said we think Poole, and yadda yadda yadda are going to be the best players ever just because their phins. What he doesn't understand is, I dislike Losman for my own reasons and not JUST because he became a bill. Hell, had they snagged RIvers I'd crap my pants and tell him he has a future franchise QB on his hands..but as it is...he has Losman, :roflmao:

ANYWAY, in reflection of what you said. There's a difference between confidence, and ****y. Would you consider TO to be a team leader? Or Randy Moss? I sure wouldn't. Sure their great players, but they don't command the respect of their fellow players. QB's such as Favre, Marino, Vick, etc. Make other players around them better. They steer the game and make the other players have faith in them. Their confident, maybe a little ****y, but above all their leaders.

Losman is not. THat kids is going to take a LOT of lumps in this league. His ego is big. Some compare his attitude to Favre's...fine and dandy, but Favre has actually PROVED somethingand has a right ot be ****y. If losman walks in like a ball of fire thinking he's the man and he's going ot make plays with his athletic ability, he will be sorely disappointed. The biggest thing for this kid, is he's going to have to make huge leaps in his mental game. He'l rely on reading D's now, more than his own to feet to scrammble, and will need accuracy more than his cannon. Your going to see this kid burnt...a lot. He'll try to muscle throws where he sholdn't. He did this in college and got burnt, it'll only get worse in the pro's.

That's not to say he's going to be a total flop. IF and I do mean IF he can make the mental leap, he could be a good QB. But when put side by side with other QB's in this draft, he's sorely lacking in the respectability area. There's WAY too many questions with this kid to be worth blowing a first rounder on. He's going to take years on the bench before he can play (and I don't think he's mature enough to accept that). He never sets his feet, and like I said, will need ot work hard core on his reads. It can be done, but he's a long way away. Feeley is far and away better than Losman at this point. Just watch :D
Haha! That's nothing but your opinion. It's been noted however. :roflmao: You're basing hiw perfomance on his ****iness? :rolleyes:

Here's other peoples opinion. The one's that actually play w/ him or coach him. Any chance you are more qualified than they are?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-losman&prov=ap&type=lgns

Here's another from a HOF qb. You wouldn't happen to be a former NFL player would you? :lol:
http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-11/1087111841241430.xml

Here's one from a Tulane fan who actually follows him unlike you. :lol:

"Hi, Thanks for visiting.
I don't know where this thing of Losman having an attitude problem came from. I mean, I read a scouting report on ESPN.Com which had a "c" notation next to his name, denoting "character issues." What? This kid graduated in 4 years with over a 3.0 in Classical studies. He has NEVER been in trouble. His teammates love him. They took some time to get adjusted to him at first, following Ramsey (two TOTALLY different styles), but they did respect him.

Ever notice that as much as he talks himself up and says that he is best, he NEVER uses the argument that he had a weak offensive line in college? And you know what, he did (so did Ramsey, both really tough guys). All the scouts pointed out, but through all his self-promoting, he never mentioned it once. He has NEVER publicly criticized a teammate or a coach. He works HARD. He wants to win. He is much harder on himself than anyone else can be. In fact, I would say J.P.'s BIGGEST problem is that he presses too much and tries to do too much. Its all the pressure he puts on himself. You can see how seriously he takes the game. I really think he needs to learn how to relax and just play football, let it come naturally. That ain't an easy thing though.

My point is, he has no attitude problem. He hasn't said anything that any other QB hasn't also said. Each of the guys that went in the first round said unequivocally they were the best available. Why did JP get tagged as some sort of character question mark? I don't get it. The most informative peice written about JP last year was in ESPN the Magazine, in their college football preview edition. It talked a lot about the "review of athletics" we had last spring when they almost canned our football program, and how he was given advice to go into the Supplemental Draft or transfer to another school...dozens of other 1-A schools contacted him. Instead, he stayed. And he went to his rhetoric professor and asked her to help him craft a speech to the team to be given in the event that we announced that 2003 would be Tulane's 110th and final season playing football. The speech was to urge the players to stay one more year with him, to fight it out, and to make it the greatest season in TU history.

That is a leader. Where anyone gets character issues from that, I'll never know. He had the respect of everyone on the team, because he led by example, with hard work. To mention Jeff George in the same sentance with Losman is absurd.

Now as far as physical skills, he is sort of a Ramsey-King hybrid. They both have playmaking ability, the ability to turn something into nothing, and Losman has that. They also both had extreme toughness in the pocket and out of it, and Losman more than has that (see the TCU game). Losman is clearly much more mobile than Ramsey, and probably as mobile as King. His arm is comparable to Ramsey's in strength (Ramsey has a cannon), but Losman throws a prettier deep ball. Losman does not throw as many interceptions as Pat and reads defenses better, (at the college level). Many of Losman's interceptions were off of deflections.

Best thing about JP is his competitiveness and confidence. Down 14 with 5 minutes left against Mississippi State, he not only thought we had a chance, he expected to would win the game. He led two touchdown drives, throwing for both, and took us down the field a third time to the 15 yard line so we could kick a FG to win 31-28.

I think Buffalo got the best QB pick in the draft. Give him a year or two. Let him learn how to be a professional give him some solid coaching. You'll be very pleased.

Also, any comparisons your fans might be making to Rob Johnson are way off base. Johnson was a laid back guy who had no toughness. Losman is a competitor who is tough as nails and will get in your face. His teammates will love him."

Granted they are nothing but opinions (like yours :D ) These guys are more qualified than you are. I won't say J.P. will be great or good (only time will tell) but unlike you I am not gonna state that he is a definite bust either (because of "atittude problems? funny Tulane fans don't share that opinion) unlike some people here who "think" they know what's gonna happen a year or two from now.

Anyway, about the premise of the thread, I liked JP Losman coming out but not at pick #20 or #19.

However I do have a few misgivings. One is, since when did we "take care of" the offensive line during free agency? We dumped Jamie Nails, Todd Perry, and Tim Ruddy, and lost Todd Wade to a higher bidder. To replace them we grabbed Jeno James for a guard, Damion McIntosh who can't play probably until half the season is already over, and who has also never played right tackle in the pros, and John St Clair, who was an absolute liability at tackle when he started the season for St Louis (and I actually saw the St. Louis-Philadelphia game, and yes he was a liability, and yes its only one game but within the context of his reputation...).

We not only hadn't taken care of the OL, we were bleeding at the friggin head!

Do I think that AJ Feeley will be as good a QB in 2004 for us as say, Kerry Collins would have been? No, I'll be honest, I do not. Maybe not as good as Mark Brunell either (though I'm not a true Brunell believer). But Brunell would have cost MORE than a 3rd rounder (remember, Washington's 3rd rounder was higher than ours), and we would have gotten a QB solution that is good for maybe 2 more years...with the 2nd year a struggle probably plagued with injuries and whatnot. The same could be said with Kerry Collins, maybe 2 or 3 more good years, however the sacrifice for him was not much....but still the bottom line there for me was we had to get our QB situation settled fast, I don't believe Kurt Warner or Jeff Garcia were acceptable answers. We couldn't just go into the draft thinking we'll get our starter in June...I mean at that point it would have been like ok one more year with Fiedler then yes we would have seen Collins' and Couch's releases as blessings...but if a guy spends 80% of his money on lottery tickets and happens to win the big one, he's still an idiot for spending 80% of his money on the lottery.

As for Feeley I'll put it to you like this. With his skill set, accuracy, arm strength, height, weight, athleticism, etc. If teams knew, prior to the draft, that he could come in for 5 games in a high pressure situation in only his second year as a pro, having only held a clipboard the whole time as a 3rd stringer taking 3rd string snaps in practice etc, and he could perform like he did, he would have been drafted in AT LEAST the 2nd round. No joke. People get caught up in draft pedigree, but with QBs 75% of the evaluation process is a complete unknown, and what you're trying to get is guys where you can ebb away at that unknown. Feeley lost his starting job in college to injury and was never given a real shot to take it back. If Tom Brady had suffered a serious injury with Drew Henson behind him, I GUARANTEE the same thing would have happened to him, and Brady probably would have gone undrafted. Just keep that in mind about Feeley. Taking a chance on Feeley with a future second rounder to me is the equivalent or better than taking a chance on Losman in the first round, when Losman should have been a 2nd rounder.

I have read all the trash talk on this subject. For one thing, Losman has a great arm but cannot read defenses. That is why he could not start at UCLA and had to transfer to Tulane. He has bust written all over him. As for Carey, he will be the Fins starting right tackle,the Fins defintely got the better pick here. Also people say that Carey is second in depth on the roster, ummm... if you really don't know what you are talking about then please don't comment. Because statments like that,make people not even want to read your posts.

finzfan4life said:
I have read all the trash talk on this subject. For one thing, Losman has a great arm but cannot read defenses. That is why he could not start at UCLA and had to transfer to Tulane. He has bust written all over him. As for Carey, he will be the Fins starting right tackle,the Fins defintely got the better pick here. Also people say that Carey is second in depth on the roster, ummm... if you really don't know what you are talking about then please don't comment. Because statments like that,make people not even want to read your posts.
Actions speak louder than your opinion stating he can't read D's. Remember, he had a horrible OL.

OVERVIEW
Two-time team captain who set the Tulane career record for lowest interception percentage in school history with a mark of 2.73 (27 INTs in 987 attempts) … Finished his career ranked in the Green Wave all-time top 10 in 18 categories, including third in touchdown passes (60), completions (570) and passing efficiency (129.81) … Also ranks in the top 10 all time in Conference USA in 10 different passing and total offense records … Originally began his career at UCLA, transferring to Tulane in 2000 where he served in a reserve role behind Patrick Ramsey (Washington Redskins) for two seasons … Started 27 of 38 games during his career, completing 570 of 987 passes (57.7 percent) for 6,754 yards, 60 touchdowns and only 27 interceptions … Gained 241 yards with 10 scores on 237 carries … Gained 6,995 yards in total offense, an average of 184.1 yards per game.

All attitude aside you cannot have terrible foot mechanics in the NFL. And he has horrendous footwork. Favre has bad form throwing off back foot instead of transfering weight but Losman throws of his back foot and his lead foot needs to be in the direction of the wr not pointed in the opposite direction. I hope Losman has success I loved him in college but the NFL makes you pay for bad form. 1 second longer holding the ball or missing a target by a foot is the difference between a great hall of fame qb and the Fiedlers in the league (2nd and 3rd stringers). Feeley has great form and a strong arm and is accurate. It takes people time to get timing with the WR once feeley gets it you will see!!!!!Mark my words he will be a sig. upgrade from Fiedler!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom