JP Losman over Vernon Carey??? ...maybe? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JP Losman over Vernon Carey??? ...maybe?

does anyone but me think that carey was actually a better pick than andrews considering careys flexibility. i mean hes almost as good of a tackle as andrews and has a slight edge over andrews at guard i think. they both are maulers, but i think the biggest difference will be that vernon carey has been wanting to play on the phins all of his life and there fore i think he should play quite well. i agree with the bills draft choice for losman. if he had been into the second round he wouldve gotten picked up pretty early and not to mention green bay at the end of the first round was waiting for a succesor to the great favre.if they had missed out on losman there is a major drop off in talent with matt schaub or josh harris being next in line. by the way the falcons picked right with schaub, hes what they need, a talented career backup to micheal vick for the chance of vick going down. if vick continues schaub should see 2 or 3 games a year. so i say kudos to the phins and bills with their first round picks. ill be nice about the bills since i dont really hate them besides them being a division rival. its the pats and jets that get steam coming out of my ears. and with my closing words drew is poo...

FROM NFL.COM:But Bledsoe is a quality veteran with better weapons and possibly a better offensive line to protect him. With Losman in close pursuit of his job, Bledsoe will play well in 2004 and the Bills will get close to the .500 mark. Whether nine victories will be enough to get to the playoffs is another question.

i dont know if this means the guy looks good in camp or not but i have to say im very happy we got vernon carey we definatly need o-line help and i think he will be a great fit. as far as feeley goes :confused: why grab a guy whos unproven and is not performing as well as feedler yeah i know he doesnt know the system but put manning in there not knowing the system and he will make feidler look like a cheerleader i know we had absolutely no chance of getting manning but the way i look at it either you got it or you dont unless your a true rookie wich feeley isnt he will make a great back up though:cry:

Fins2theend: "I can not stand Losman, there is a difference in being confident (a.k.a. Kelly and Marino) and being on an ego trip that causes you to border on lunacy. This guy has got his head lodged three feet up his own A$$ where he shares space with his agent!!!"

Just out of curiousity, do you have any documentation for such a statement? Something he has said that indicates Losman is on this bizarre ego trip. He did say he thought he could do anything that the top three draftees at QB could in terms of arm strength, accuracy, and the ability to read defences. Obviously he can't know that, but I don't mind that he has that opinion.

So far the Bills experience is that he appears to take teaching and coaching very well, that he just wants to get better and that he knows he has a lot of work to do. I think he has a really healthy attitude from the looks of things.

ABrownLamp said:
That is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard. Number one, what makes you think Losman is so much better than Feeley? But let's just say you do. Your next proposal is that we should have spent millions of dollars drafting a veteran QB for him to learn under. This is so stupid on so many levels I can't even belive it. The idea that we would draft a quarterback in the first round, and then, AND THEN get a veteran qb from another team, who has never played for the Dolphins before and doesn't know the system either, to learn under is a worse idea than any put forth by management in the history of this franchise. I mean imagine the Redskins, after getting Brunnell, drafting a QB in the first round. How stupid would that be?

Also, you mentioned that we solved our Oline problems during the offseason, even without Carey. ARE YOU SERIOUS? Who? WHat? Where? I just... i just don't even know how to address this. Yes, you are right. John St. Clair, MCintosh, they have solved the issue. With the addition of those two young and injury free acqusitions, we are set.

Look, the fact is that the reason we traded a fourth round pick to pick up Carey is because he is that much better than anyone in the draft after him at his position. Additionally, there are no Oline players worth looking at in the offseason. Don't you think you would have heard of them by now? You don't know Losman is any good and to get him and a veteran is absurd. We made all the right moves in the offseason. I have heard a lot of scenarios of what we should have done, but this is definitely one of the worst.

I agree with you about Losman. I don't think he would have been the answer to our passing game woes.

I have to disagree with you about the front office making all the right moves. We have made moves that potentially could end up being brilliant, but have an equal chance of backfiring. I believe that Jeno James and Reggie Howard were very solid pickups that will help this team immediately. A.J. Feeley and David Boston are two players that MAY help us immensely(although if Boston doesn't work out, we won't be in financial purgatory). I think this year's draft may end up being the best since Jimmy Johnson was coach. But the moves (or lack thereof) that bother me the most are signing John St. Clair (as a right tackle), assuming Greg Jerman/Taylor Whitley is capable of being an NFL starter, and not upgrading the #3 WR position (I don't care if Derrius Thompson looks great in camp -- he looked really good early last year as well). I remember onlookers in last year's camp calling him "a faster version of Oronde Gadsden".

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but the front office needs to be accountable for the moves they make and don't make -- something Dave Wannstedt never did.

inFINSible said:
I think there are borderline second round QBs available every year also. ;)
I'll say again, show me when the Dolphins last had a shot a QB with the speed/, mobility, cannon of JP Losman.........we certainly don't have one on the roster now...................

DrAstroZoom said:
Ding.

I'm not saying Losman is a bad pick overall or that he won't be a good player, but he was a reach for the first round. Plain and simple.
Not at all a reach, he would have gone in the first even if Buffalo didn't trade up, the guy has first round talent and thats why he went there.

BlueFin said:
I'll say again, show me when the Dolphins last had a shot a QB with the speed/, mobility, cannon of JP Losman.........we certainly don't have one on the roster now...................
Who cares when we last had a shot at a "JP Losman"?? He's just another name at this point. There are names available every year.

ive just realised that carey has been playing in the second team offense and st.clair in the first. this pisses me off. andy reid is getting andrews as much experience as possible by starting him and yet we leave carey to 'develop' when last season a third round pick by the name of wade smith started every game. i am now even more concerned for our offense. sure we have chambers, mcmike, williams and boston but with our o-line for week 1 currently reading smith,james,mcinney,jerman,st.clair and with a.j feeley unlikely to be ready in the new system come september one must sympathise for jay fiedler. IMO he will start and he will cop another season of overwhelming ctriticism, but with our current o-line who could blame the guy if he plays bad? cry for fiedler, cry. we need some upgrades on the o-line if we want to go far into the playoffs. simple as that.

inFINSible said:
Who cares when we last had a shot at a "JP Losman"?? He's just another name at this point. There are names available every year.
Wow.......great response, thanks, so in your estimation we now draft just names not talent anymore?

The point which you ignored and did not answer was we have rarely had a shot at a quarterback of Losman's talent level, while we have had many O-lineman of quality available to draft.

Now, Carey may end up being very good and Losman could bust......and then our choice will obviously look good in the long run, but if Losman does translate his talent to the NFL and Carey busts or even is just another Jamie Nails who can't control his weight we made a mistake.

The reason we were desperate for an O-lineman was it was ignored for years under both Yimmie and Dave, but we also have lacked consistent quarterbacking under Dave, and IMO its harder to find talented quarterbacks than it is O-lineman.

BlueFin said:
Not at all a reach, he would have gone in the first even if Buffalo didn't trade up, the guy has first round talent and thats why he went there.

According to whom?

Most every mock draft I saw leading into the draft had him going in the second round. He was far from a lock in the first round. He was scouted as a raw talent who would take years to develop.

With that in mind, take a look at our offense as a whole last year. The most consistently underachieving part of it was the offensive line. Ricky's production suffered because of it. Neither Jay nor Brian could get any protection because of it. We needed an offensive lineman.

I would have preferred Shane Andrews, but Vernon Carey was a lot closer to a consensus first-rounder than was Losman, and OL was a higher priority for us.

DrAstroZoom said:
According to whom?

Most every mock draft I saw leading into the draft had him going in the second round. He was far from a lock in the first round.
the knock on Losman was his atittude not his talent. If ****iness is an issue and is a guarantee the he will bust (then again not eveyone agrees w/ his ****iness) then Eli Manning dictating who he plays for is a definite busts. Then again I haven't heard any finfan state that because Manning wasn't drafted by the bills.

I do agree though that the fins are desperate to fix their OL and needed Carey more than they needed a rookie qb who wouldn't have played this year anyway.

DrAstroZoom said:
He was scouted as a raw talent who would take years to develop.
Losman needs time to develop then again so does Feely. I don't think feely is ready to take charge of this team .

DrAstroZoom said:
According to whom?

Most every mock draft I saw leading into the draft had him going in the second round. He was far from a lock in the first round. He was scouted as a raw talent who would take years to develop.

With that in mind, take a look at our offense as a whole last year. The most consistently underachieving part of it was the offensive line. Ricky's production suffered because of it. Neither Jay nor Brian could get any protection because of it. We needed an offensive lineman.

I would have preferred Shane Andrews, but Vernon Carey was a lot closer to a consensus first-rounder than was Losman, and OL was a higher priority for us.
Both St Louis and Green Bay liked Losman in the first, hence Tom Donahoe trading up ahead of them to get them.

Don't limit your knowledge to mock drafts which for the most part are done by amatuers and for the most part are done using other mock drafts done by other amatuers as a guide.

It was well known that Martz liked Losman as did Green Bay.

Justasportsfan said:
the knock on Losman was his atittude not his talent. I do agree though that the fins are desperate to fix their OL and needed Carey more than they needed a rookie qb who wouldn't have played this year anyway.

Losman needs time to develop then again so does Feely. I don't think feely is ready to take charge of this team .
That remains to be seen, if Feely isn't the upgrade Rick hopes he is we may yet look back and regret not drafting Losman after this season. We may be right back where we were looking for a quarterback only next year we may not get a shot at a QB of this caliber. Losman is ****y, if you want to call that a attitude problem for a quarterback thats your opinion, I call it a required trait for the biggest job on the field that is in the spotlight on every offensive play.

BlueFin said:
Both St Louis and Green Bay liked Losman in the first, hence Tom Donahoe trading up ahead of them to get them.

Don't limit your knowledge to mock drafts which for the most part are done by amatuers and for the most part are done using other mock drafts done by other amatuers as a guide.

It was well known that Martz liked Losman as did Green Bay.

Ok ... I was referring to media draft analysts who get paid to do ewhat they do, and are thus not "amateurs."

That said, my main point is that whether Losman was a first-round reach or not, he was not clearly not a first-round fit for the Dolphins -- Carey was. Whether you agree with the Feeley acquisition or not, the fact we made it before draft day dictated that we did NOT select a QB in the first round. To do so would have been sheer folly.

No ... we went for our most glaring area of need. Now, we just need to wait and

Back
Top Bottom