Jr Griffey does a 180 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jr Griffey does a 180

FiN.in.RI said:
WAS clutch in the playoffs, this isn't the same Bernie Williams of years past.Williams is running on fumes at this point.

In the playoffs he is still CLUTCH. His playoff numbers the past few years speak for themselves.

MikeO said:
They didn't need Beltran. Pavano, Randy, and Wright were priorites 1,2, and 3.

NY didn't lose to the Marlins and Red Sox the past two years because of offense. They lost because of pitching. They needed to upgrade the pitching and they did that. Spending money on Beltran would have been stupid.

Well if you want to get techincal, one could argue that last year their starters were good enough to get by the Red Sox in the playoffs, and it was their bullpen that let them down. Now I know that the starters put a tremendous amount of stress on the pen all year long to the point where when October rolled around, the pen was out of gas. But if I'm a Yankee fan I'm concerned about the bullpen. Not so much Rivera, as he is still the best in the game. But the set up guys... Gordon, Quantrill, Stanton and Rodriguez.

Fischfan13 said:
Bernie Williams does not want to DH.
Bernie Williams numbers are awful as a DH.
The ONLY reason that Bernie is playing CF is to appease him. The Yankees are much better defensively with Matsui in CF and anyone else in LF...and that is not up for debate.
I have never heard of a team who wants only to play someone 120 games so that they could keep him rested for the playoffs...that is laughable.Where is the guarantee for the playoffs?
Why not only play him in 80 games...so he could even be more rested.:lol:
Check the stats...
Bernie Williams has been a detriment to the NY Yankees for almost all of the past two seasons.
Joe Torre has become his only positive mouthpiece.
Cashman doesn't want him anymore...but has no choice since he is being overpaid.

If you live in the NY area, then go get the NY Times and read their sports column...if you don't live in the NY area then sigh up to the Times via the internet.

:shakeno: Bernie wanted Beltran in NY so he could DH this year. Guess that slipped your mind. He gave the OK for the Yanks to talk to Beltran and see how much it would cost to bring him in. Bernie will only play 120 games in CF this year. He will DH a few games, and take the rest off.

This is the same NY TIMES that hired people to make up stories and report them as if they actually happened. Sorry, don't need to get info from them on anything. And the NY POST comment was just tongue in cheek meaning "PICK UP A NEWSPAPER" I didn't actualy mean the ny post paper. Any newspaper. :shakeno:

FaninPatsyLand1 said:
Well if you want to get techincal, one could argue that last year their starters were good enough to get by the Red Sox in the playoffs, and it was their bullpen that let them down. Now I know that the starters put a tremendous amount of stress on the pen all year long to the point where when October rolled around, the pen was out of gas. But if I'm a Yankee fan I'm concerned about the bullpen. Not so much Rivera, as he is still the best in the game. But the set up guys... Gordon, Quantrill, Stanton and Rodriguez.

Would you rather have Orlando Hernendaz, John Lieber, Jose Contrases, and Javiar Vazquez. Or Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, and Jarret Wright?

And in the case of Pavano and Wright HOPEFULLY you have 2 quality starters for many many many years to come. They got younger, stronger, and better in their starting pitching.

The problem wasn't the bullpen, but how Joe Torre USED the bullpen. He overworked Gordon and Quantril all year and they had dead arms come October. He overworked them in meaningless games in May, June, and July and they had nothing left in the tank.

and the NY bullpen is still one of the strongest in baseball . They just can't be overworked.

But I disagree on Rivera. I think Lidge and Gagne have passed him when it comes to closers.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
MikeO, check Rivera's stats from last year. No one has passed him!

His stats should be great. He plays on a team with a $200 million pay roll.

Im not knocking Marino. But if you are asking me if I could have any choice of a closer today, Im picking him 3rd after Lidge and Gagne.

MikeO said:
and the NY bullpen is still one of the strongest in baseball . They just can't be overworked.

But I disagree on Rivera. I think Lidge and Gagne have passed him when it comes to closers.

Rivera is still the best in the game.

I'm not doubting the fact that the Yankees made great strides in the rotation, Pavano and Johnson are huge for them. They will no doubt be better off.

But if I'm a fan, I'm still worried about the guys getting the game to Rivera.

FaninPatsyLand1 said:
But if I'm a fan, I'm still worried about the guys getting the game to Rivera.

I would rather worry about innings 7 and 8 than the first half of the game. Hopefully most games are so far out of reach it doesn't matter what happens in the bullpen.

I see a 1998 type season for the Yanks this year.

MikeO said:
I would rather worry about innings 7 and 8 than the first half of the game. Hopefully most games are so far out of reach it doesn't matter what happens in the bullpen.

I see a 1998 type season for the Yanks this year.

I think they will be amazing, easily the best team on paper in baseball. That said, I think the Sox will find a way to hang with them. It's going to be fun.

FaninPatsyLand1 said:
I think they will be amazing, easily the best team on paper in baseball. That said, I think the Sox will find a way to hang with them. It's going to be fun.

If Wade Miller gets healthy, the Sox are right there with NY.

I just hope we don't act like every game between the two teams is some huge thing. Meaning if NY wins Sunday all Yankee fans dont' come here bragging. And if Boston wins Sunday Sox fans don't come here bragging. It's just 1 of 162, people don't need to get irrational.

MikeO said:
If Wade Miller gets healthy, the Sox are right there with NY.

I just hope we don't act like every game between the two teams is some huge thing. Meaning if NY wins Sunday all Yankee fans dont' come here bragging. And if Boston wins Sunday Sox fans don't come here bragging. It's just 1 of 162, people don't need to get irrational.

I agree. It's alittle ridiculous to get hyped up about 1 game in April. We can all just be happy that baseball is finally back.

FaninPatsyLand1 said:
I agree. It's alittle ridiculous to get hyped up about 1 game in April. We can all just be happy that baseball is finally back.

Yet some idiots will be here Sunday night and next week going........"We won you lost". :shakeno:

Like what happens now has any effect on anything. Sure, regular season games and they matter. But its just April and the teams you see now wont even be the teams playing in October because you know each team will make a bunch of moves by the July trading deadline.

Back
Top Bottom