Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long?

They ran the ball pretty well, which can be a life saver for a rookie QB. I don't think we could run the ball like Atlanta did last year. We leaned on Pennington a lot and I don't think that is something you can do with a rookie QB and be successful, at least not in most cases.

Matt Ryan's first career pass was a 62 yard touchdown strike.....I mean how much did the running game really help there? lol

Teams tried to blitz Ryan right out of the gate and he was prepared....

Atlanta ran the ball so well in part because teams had to respect this rookie quarterbacks abilities.....can't exactly say the same thing for some of the QB's in the league...*cough* chad pennington *cough* *cough*....

Sucky teams usually suck because they have sucky quarterbacks....you can always attribute piss poor records to piss poor quarterback play....

It's rediculous how some people seem to think that Roddy White was reading the defenses for Matt Ryan.....that Michael Turner was throwing the football for Matt Ryan.....and Mike Smith was reading the defenses for Matt Ryan....etc...

You can't ask anymore out of a 10 year veteran than what Ryan did last year....much less a rookie....

He's a rare cat at the quarterback position that just doesn't come along often....I was convinced of this when he was at BC....

Have to agree with dlockz on this one. I can think of some tackles that had really good first years, even Pro Bowl type first years, that went on to have good but not great careers.

I honestly, honestly can't think of a single QB that had the type of rookie year that Ryan had...that did not end up a very, very good QB.

Traditionally it is very hard to come in and have that kind of rookie year for a QB, and when you find a guy that has one like that, it's taken as a given that you've found a franchise guy.

Have to agree with dlockz on this one. I can think of some tackles that had really good first years, even Pro Bowl type first years, that went on to have good but not great careers.

I honestly, honestly can't think of a single QB that had the type of rookie year that Ryan had...that did not end up a very, very good QB.

Traditionally it is very hard to come in and have that kind of rookie year for a QB, and when you find a guy that has one like that, it's taken as a given that you've found a franchise guy.

Marcus McNeil immediately comes to mind....

If anyone can think of a rookie QB that came in to a terrible team and started from DAY 1 and lead that team to the playoffs...and didn't turn out to be a very, very good quarterback...

I'd like to see them listed here....thanks

Marcus McNeil immediately comes to mind....

If anyone can think of a rookie QB that came in to a terrible team and started from DAY 1 and lead that team to the playoffs...and didn't turn out to be a very, very good quarterback...

I'd like to see them listed here....thanks

um um um um damn Im thinking lol.

i think u also make a good point this guy started from week 1 as a rookie.
Too bad we couldnt hae drafted both lol.
Draft Long and trade our future number one and both seconds last year.
Alot to give but would take Ryan over Henne and Im a Henne fan.

Forget just the wins and playoffs and all that. A lot of that is dependant on the defense which I think Mike Smith deserves some recognition for whipping into shape a lot more quickly than expected.

What about just a guy that came in and threw the ball the way he did? He had a 7.9 YPA, 2.5% interception rate, and his offense was top 10 in scoring. I just don't remember a rookie doing that over 12+ games and not ending up very good.

Jake Long. As someone mentioned earlier Ryan had a darn good supporting cast around him. The Falcons built that team around a franchise qb, and when he went to prison they added in another one.

Dont get me wrong, Matt Ryan had a great year and he should get even better, but now adays teams are loading up on pass rushers and the ability to protect the quarterback is paramount. With great protection the play of the QB drastically improves and Long helps give us that.

Whichever way you come out on this debate, I don't think you can reasonably be too unhappy about the actual outcome.

Anthony Munoz vs. Dan Marino may be an exaggerated comparison but in that question, it's an awful nice controversy to be debating.

Forget just the wins and playoffs and all that. A lot of that is dependant on the defense which I think Mike Smith deserves some recognition for whipping into shape a lot more quickly than expected.

What about just a guy that came in and threw the ball the way he did? He had a 7.9 YPA, 2.5% interception rate, and his offense was top 10 in scoring. I just don't remember a rookie doing that over 12+ games and not ending up very good.

And I'll take it a step further.....it's the QUALITY of so many of the throws he made....they were really, really, really, good throws.....and many times in critical situations....but you had to be watching him to see it....not reading his press clippings or looking at his stats that most people around here do....

Whichever way you come out on this debate, I don't think you can reasonably be too unhappy about the actual outcome.

Anthony Munoz vs. Dan Marino may be an exaggerated comparison but in that question, it's an awful nice controversy to be debating.

You can put any OL across from Marino and I would take Marino all day long.
I think the same may be true of Ryan. Long was the safe pick. Both players seem to be special players and we definately are not used to getting that in the first round. The last special player we drafted in the first round that I can remember is Troy Vincent.

Left tackles should be considered separately from other OL positions.

Well you can put Marino across from any LT and I will take him all day long is that better and Im not sure I dont feel the same about Ryan.

I like Ryan but I'm not putting him on Marino's level yet. Eli Manning is considered a franchise QB. You ask me if I take Eli Manning or Anthony Munoz and I say Munoz.

You can put any OL across from Marino and I would take Marino all day long.
I think the same may be true of Ryan. Long was the safe pick. Both players seem to be special players and we definately are not used to getting that in the first round. The last special player we drafted in the first round that I can remember is Troy Vincent.

Marino had some all-pro LTs next to him for a good chunk of his career. It is kind of hard to gauge how he would have done behind an OL like the 2004 Dolphins...

A franchise LT might be the most important position besides QB. I'd say they are almost about equal since one cant have success without the other.

I like Ryan but I'm not putting him on Marino's level yet. Eli Manning is considered a franchise QB. You ask me if I take Eli Manning or Anthony Munoz and I say Munoz.

Im talking about the young guys with Ryan like Clady and Long.

Back
Top Bottom