Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long?

Marino had some all-pro LTs next to him for a good chunk of his career. It is kind of hard to gauge how he would have done behind an OL like the 2004 Dolphins...

A franchise LT might be the most important position besides QB. I'd say they are almost about equal since one cant have success without the other.

Well I think Marino would have been fine because he had quite a knack for avoiding the rush. Thats also what you have to like about Ryan because he had far from a franchise LT last year although I think Baker will be fine.

I dont see your logic. QB is a much harder position to play as a rookie than any other position. You have to compare Ryan to his position compared to Long at his position. Ryan's rookie year is probably only eclisped by Marino's and Marino had much superior team around him. Funny how so many on this board blasted Atlanta for taking Ryan saying that he would get killed with thier poor oline ad now people act like he had a playoff ready team around him. Not one person thinks any other rookie qb was better than Ryan while there are plenty of people that think Clady may be better than Long.

MY logic is that at his position, in his 1st year, by years end, Long was playing as well as the Top LTs in this league. Ryan on the other hand was playing extremely well for a Rookie QB, but pretty average for an NFL QB. I know that QB is a tougher positon to learn, but it's not Longs fault he dominated at his position more then Ryan.

Also, you are right that rarely does a Rookie QB succeed from the start like Ryan did, but do not forget that QB is the position that many QBs after having a good year, have fallen on their face....

Patrick Ramsey, Tony Eason, Elvis Grbac, Derek Anderson, Chris Simms

These are guys that had the luxury of sitting at least 1 year, came in looked very good to great, and then fell on thier face.

Not to mention guys like Matt Cassel and Shaun Hill who I don't think will be as good in 09, even though one of them looked as good, and the other looked better then Ryan in 08.

Look, I know that you and a few others were talking up Matt Ryan like crazy before the draft, and kudos to you guys, you seem to have been right, he does look good, but like you said, QB is the toughest position to learn, and be consistant in. Most LT that proved to be the good, continued to be as good or better, the QB position is much different, and with that I say again...

With what I know now, I would still take Long....after next year that may change, but for now Ryan did not have as good a season as Jake, and he still needs to prove he is good, 1 year does not a franchise QB make. Sorry

Matt Ryan's job is a helluva lot harder than Jake Long's job....

The quarterback has to read the defense..... beat the pass rush....read the coverages....go through his progressions....know where his receivers are..... know where the linebackers are and what they're doing.....know where the DB's are and what they're doing.... know what type of technique they're using..... look the safety off.... be aware of where all his receivers are....and deliver a precise strike on top of all that on any given pass play...

Basically, the left tackle only has to beat his guy on a given play....the quarterback has to beat 11....every time....

It's why the quarterback position always has been and always will be the most important position in sports....

Exactly, and for that reason, I wold take Jake again. Both play almost equally important position (QB is more important), one did his job almost as well as the best at his position, the other looked great for a rookie.

Ryan Had a great RB that took alot of the pressure off him, Receiver that were getting open, and beating the coverage, Jake was helped b Smiley, until he went down, and Jake had to rely on himself....Until then 09, and Ryan proves he can have an even better season, I will take Jake.

You can put any OL across from Marino and I would take Marino all day long.
I think the same may be true of Ryan. Long was the safe pick. Both players seem to be special players and we definately are not used to getting that in the first round. The last special player we drafted in the first round that I can remember is Troy Vincent.

Please tell me you are not comparing Ryan to Marino. :D

MY logic is that at his position, in his 1st year, by years end, Long was playing as well as the Top LTs in this league. Ryan on the other hand was playing extremely well for a Rookie QB, but pretty average for an NFL QB. I know that QB is a tougher positon to learn, but it's not Longs fault he dominated at his position more then Ryan.

Also, you are right that rarely does a Rookie QB succeed from the start like Ryan did, but do not forget that QB is the position that many QBs after having a good year, have fallen on their face....

Patrick Ramsey, Tony Eason, Elvis Grbac, Derek Anderson, Chris Simms

These are guys that had the luxury of sitting at least 1 year, came in looked very good to great, and then fell on thier face.

Not to mention guys like Matt Cassel and Shaun Hill who I don't think will be as good in 09, even though one of them looked as good, and the other looked better then Ryan in 08.

Look, I know that you and a few others were talking up Matt Ryan like crazy before the draft, and kudos to you guys, you seem to have been right, he does look good, but like you said, QB is the toughest position to learn, and be consistant in. Most LT that proved to be the good, continued to be as good or better, the QB position is much different, and with that I say again...

With what I know now, I would still take Long....after next year that may change, but for now Ryan did not have as good a season as Jake, and he still needs to prove he is good, 1 year does not a franchise QB make. Sorry

Big differance in all the guys u mention is that they were not rookies. Its not uncommon for a OL to come in and play well year one its very rare for a rookie qb to come in take the starting job and play well from the beginning.
The qb position is not full of guys that played to the level of Ryan in fact it was among the top 5 rookie qb seasons of all time. I mean seriously can anybody name 5 rookie qb's that had a season close to what Ryan did or better. Okay u got Ben Roth and Dan Marino, anybody else?

Okay LT

Richmond Webb
Orlando PAce
Chris samuels
Johnathon Ogden LG as rookie
Marcus Mcneil
Ryan Clady
Joe Thomas
Jammal Brown RT as rookie now LT
Matt Light
Walter Jones
Tony Boselli
Tra Thomas
Michael Roos RT as rookie
Willie Amderson was LT as rookie

Please tell me you are not comparing Ryan to Marino. :D

As a rookie as much as I love Marino its a fair comparism. Marino had a team around him that had just been in the superbowl.

Big differance in all the guys u mention is that they were not rookies. Its not uncommon for a OL to come in and play well year one its very rare for a rookie qb to come in take the starting job and play well from the beginning.
The qb position is not full of guys that played to the level of Ryan in fact it was among the top 5 rookie qb seasons of all time. I mean seriously can anybody name 5 rookie qb's that had a season close to what Ryan did or better. Okay u got Ben Roth and Dan Marino, anybody else?

Okay LT

Richmond Webb
Orlando PAce
Chris samuels
Johnathon Ogden
Marcus Mcneil
Ryan Clady
Joe Thomas
Jammal Brown RT as rookie now LT
Matt Light
Walter Jones

Ogden played LG his rookie year and got kicked out to LT in his sophomore year.

You obviously didnt watch any of their games and if you did you simply dont understand what you are seeing. Matt Ryan plays the QB position about as well as anyone in the league already. Given the fact he was a rookie, it is likely he will only get better. If he gets better there is a strong chance he will become the premier QB in the NFL within the next few years.

So....the answer to the question posed in the thread......lets see, top notch LT vs. one of the best QBs in the league......duh. We goofed. Period. Get over it. Stop denying Parcells missed the boat on picking Matt Ryan. The guy is an absolute beast.

EDIT: Oh yea. Vs. Chicago. Throwing a 20+ yard out into a perfect very small window, with massive pressure in your face, with under 10 seconds to play, to set up the game winning FG......is that what you call managing the game??????????????? Good call buddy. There probably arent 3 QBs in the league who couldve made that play if they even had the opportunity to be in that situation. Get real. Thats premium stuff.

Thats just one example of Matt Ryan last year doing much more than managing the game. Manage the game is what Flacco did. Matt Ryan commanded the game.

If you think Matt Ryan is already one of the best QB seasons after one season, you're irrational and can't be reasoned with. Matt Ryan had a good season...for a rookie QB. You're crowning Matt Ryan the Chosen One for one good pass, but ignore how he struggled down the stretch and in the playoffs and was not the focal point of that offense. He has, IMO, the second best RB in the NFL in Michael Turner, an arguably top 10 WR in Roddy White. People overrate how hopeless Atlanta's situation was. Matt Ryan did not carry that team. His excellent game management contributed greatly to his team, but Michael Turner is the future of that franchise.

I can see Matt Ryan becoming a Troy Aikman kind of QB: a good QB that benefits from his strong running game and excellent supporting cast. Troy Aikman's a Hall of Famer, but he's certainly not in my top 10 all time QBs.

The following QBs had better seasons than Matt Ryan, IMO:

Chad Pennington
Kurt Warner
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Big Ben
Donovan McNabb
Jay Cutler
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees
Tony Romo
Aaron Rodgers

I'd still say that Brady and Carson Palmer are better than him, so he cracks my top 15.

If you think Matt Ryan is already one of the best QB seasons after one season, you're irrational and can't be reasoned with. Matt Ryan had a good season...for a rookie QB. You're crowning Matt Ryan the Chosen One for one good pass, but ignore how he struggled down the stretch and in the playoffs and was not the focal point of that offense. He has, IMO, the second best RB in the NFL in Michael Turner, an arguably top 10 WR in Roddy White. People overrate how hopeless Atlanta's situation was. Matt Ryan did not carry that team. His excellent game management contributed greatly to his team, but Michael Turner is the future of that franchise.

I can see Matt Ryan becoming a Troy Aikman kind of QB: a good QB that benefits from his strong running game and excellent supporting cast. Troy Aikman's a Hall of Famer, but he's certainly not in my top 10 all time QBs.

The following QBs had better seasons than Matt Ryan, IMO:

Chad Pennington
Kurt Warner
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Big Ben
Donovan McNabb
Jay Cutler
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees
Tony Romo
Aaron Rodgers

I'd still say that Brady and Carson Palmer are better than him, so he cracks my top 15.

I dont agree that Cutler had a better season than him
Matt Ryan had an alltime great rookie season for a QB.
And to act like he was not a huge reason for thier turn around is ludicris.
Atlanta was every bit as hopeless as Miami was as a franchise the previous season.

I think it depends how you perceive the question, and how you relate it to the Fins. In the majority of cases, you would have to argue that QB is the most valuable commodity on any football team. He's the leader, the decision maker. He's the cog that makes the offense run. And for a team like Atlanta, that is exactly what they needed. They had a rookie HC, a first-year starter, and west coast transplant at RB, and no real palapable leader on the team. They needed someone who could come in, take the leadership reigns, and start building the team around him. They also had a little publicity problem in the form of Mike Vick, and had to do something to put that out of fans' minds. Thus, Ryan was the right pick for them.

Miami, on the other hand, already had proven leadership, although in a different form. Everyone knew from the day he was hired, that Parcells would put his stamp on this team, and that it would run a certain way. When the coaching staff and Ireland came aboard, they assessed what THEY needed. Essentially, it was toughness, ruggedness. We had a proven RB - assuming Brown came back fully from surgery - and obviously, they felt he would. We had NO IDEA that Penny would become available, so with the QB's on the roster (remember, the jury was still out on previous 2nd round pick, Beck), it was possible that we had a future starter on board. Throw in the fact that they obviously were high on Henne, and Long becomes the more clear-cut choice for Miami.

Mostly it depends on the philosophy of your team. We are trying to develop a tougher persona - a run-first, beat-them-into-submission type of team, on both offense and defense. Had we picked Ryan, we are so much farther behind schedule than we would be now. Long has injected real toughness into this team, and now with Grove, we continue that trend. In 10 years, maybe Ryan becomes the next Brady, Montana, or Manning. Maybe it's a no-brainer that Ryan had a more stellar career. Maybe Long makes 5 Pro Bowls, Ryan makes 7. QB's will always get the publicity, so the media will always say he was the better choice, even if they have equal careers, position-wise.

My opinion - Long was the right choice. For THIS team, during THIS time. And who knows, maybe we'll get to see this discussion played out in Miami at the end of the year...?

I was one of very few members here who wanted to draft QB Matt Ryan at #1 overall. Still, I wasn't against drafting LT J. Long either, we needed help bigtime in the trenches, and he's certainly proven to be worth the selection....

Both players have improved their respective teams, and that's all that really matters heading into the future. I think we made the right choice with Long, and if I could go back and change it, I likely wouldn't...

~BK~

I'll take Jake Long by a mile. Ryan wouldn't have been a starter for us untill 2011 anyway. He was solid in his first year, but to the person who said he might have had the best rookie season for a QB ever - you are just crazy.

Back
Top Bottom