Kobe Bryant still wants out of L.A. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kobe Bryant still wants out of L.A.

Next year's Hawks pick would be nice for the Lakers. I think he goes to the Bulls or Knick's. Kobe is gunna get traded tho
I really dont see Knicks coming into play as they dont have one single guy with great potential. Like I said, Value-wise Phoenix and Dallas will give back LA the most, but only if [SIZE=-1]Kupchak is a complete moron (which isnt beyond belief) would he trade Kobe to Dallas or Phoenix.[/SIZE]

because when you HAVE more the other team (LA) will WANT more!! They won't "settle for less".

Just human nature!
I missed this earlier. LA is in no position to demand more or be really greedy. Kobe has made sure that the league knows he wants out, so all the other clubs have the upper hand. Furthermore, Kobe carries the no-trade clause, so he could and would force the trade to Chi-town if need be.

Lemme see....a backup PG, and undersized SG that can't play defense, and a scoring SF for Kobe. Lets ignore the fact that we have to do little things like match up salaries, which would force the Bulls to include either Hinrich or Wallace. Do you even try to think from the perspective of the other team? Why would the Lakers even consider the offer?

Come on dude, we're talking about NY Knick trade rumors. You know that common sense has no place here! If it did, Peter Vescey would have been canned a long time ago.

What could the Knicks give up for Bryant? A package of Channing Frye, David Lee, Jamal Crawford and a couple first round picks, plus Malik Rose (for cap balance; he's obviously worthless) might at least get the Lakers to the table.

Maybe you could swap out Rose for Q Richardson, who makes a little more than Rose, but at least has the benefit of not being totally worthless. I think the Lakers would prefer Rose's shorter term deal (expires in 2009) to Q (2010), but your mileage may vary.

I think Crawford is ridiculously overrated, personally, but a lot of teams like him. And I can think of worse ways to build a frontcourt than Andrew Bynum, Lee, Frye and Lamar Odom. That's a pretty good amount of versatility.

Now I'm going to duck under the table to avoid the things that will be thrown at me from angry and unrealistic Knicks fans who think that a package of Crawford and crap du jour should be enough to get Bryant.

I missed this earlier. LA is in no position to demand more or be really greedy. Kobe has made sure that the league knows he wants out, so all the other clubs have the upper hand. Furthermore, Kobe carries the no-trade clause, so he could and would force the trade to Chi-town if need be.

Wait, they've got Bryant through at least 2009, and he can only become a free agent if he opts out and leaves a $23 million payday on the table for the 2009-10 season. Why would the Lakers take 50 cents on the dollar when they can still keep Bryant for 2 more years and try to build a better team around him? He wouldn't be the first superstar to demand a trade, and then reconcile with his team.

I remain unconvinced that Kobe's getting traded. They're not going to take a craptastic offer from the Knicks or Bulls just because Kobe's angry right now. I do think the Bulls have enough assets to make a deal work, and wouldn't rule out a trade there, but you can bet it's not going to be cheap.

Wait, they've got Bryant through at least 2009, and he can only become a free agent if he opts out and leaves a $23 million payday on the table for the 2009-10 season. Why would the Lakers take 50 cents on the dollar when they can still keep Bryant for 2 more years and try to build a better team around him? He wouldn't be the first superstar to demand a trade, and then reconcile with his team.

I remain unconvinced that Kobe's getting traded. They're not going to take a craptastic offer from the Knicks or Bulls just because Kobe's angry right now. I do think the Bulls have enough assets to make a deal work, and wouldn't rule out a trade there, but you can bet it's not going to be cheap.
Lakers are at a severe disadvantage. Like I said, Kobe's public antics have made the Lakers weak on trade tables with other teams. In their attempts to land say a Jermaine O'Neal, Lakers will now have to give back more than say a month ago because all the other teams in the league know they're desperate to please Kobe. And like I said Kobe's got a no-trade clause and if he wants to go to Chi-town (which it looks like he does) then he will force the Lakers' hands.

Also: Deng, Gordon, Duhon, and 9th pick > anything Knicks can give to Lakers

if Kobes is traded, i hope its for that Bulls deal.
yea, with Gordon, Deng, and Duhon along with odom and a healthy kwame, Lakers should easily get at least the 8th seed. I am surprised that Mitch is still the GM. The man blows.

Lakers are at a severe disadvantage. Like I said, Kobe's public antics have made the Lakers weak on trade tables with other teams. In their attempts to land say a Jermaine O'Neal, Lakers will now have to give back more than say a month ago because all the other teams in the league know they're desperate to please Kobe. And like I said Kobe's got a no-trade clause and if he wants to go to Chi-town (which it looks like he does) then he will force the Lakers' hands.

Also: Deng, Gordon, Duhon, and 9th pick > anything Knicks can give to Lakers

Well, I agree with you that the package you mention would trump pretty much anything the Knicks could offer (although I think the Bulls would have to give up someone with a big salary, too, to make it work). And honestly, it's not a bad deal. Certainly better than they're going to get from the Knicks. And really, it's hard to imagine the Suns doing better than that. So let me agree with you on this much: if the Lakers decide they must dump him, they probably can't do a lot better than that deal.

However, while the Lakers undeniably have less leverage than a month ago, let's not lose sight of the fact that Kobe's still under contract for 2 more years. What's so unrealistic about them saying "look, we didn't get a package we like, and we're not going to trade you for 50 cents on the dollar, so let's try and make this work"? What's Kobe going to do? Sit out the next two years and forfeit $40 million? Not bloody likely. Start half-assing it on the court like that spoiled little girl Vince Carter? He's got way too much pride for that. Take potshots at Lakers management in the press? Maybe, but I doubt that he's going to endanger their chances of winning games when the season starts. When the season is over, that's another story. You can always mend fences in training camp. And if Jerry Buss is the bad guy, I suspect he doesn't care a heck of a lot so long as the Staples Center is full and the Lakers are at least competitive.

Just like Manny Ramirez demands to be traded for the last 3yrs. Kobe not going anywhere.

Lakers superstar is selfish, greedy, short-sighted, and terrible role model

Kobe is the best player in the NBA and one of the highest paid athletes in all sports. He has been successful mainly because he plays for the Lakers, one of the best franchises in history. I believe the Lakers want to win more championships considering that Dr. Buss has won eight since acquiring the franchise.

There are several reasons why this story continues to gain momentum and remain a hot topic as we begin the NBA off-season.

The changing of the uniform
Fans still can't move on from the fact that Kobe changed his uniform number to 24 from 8 before the 2006-2007 season. His No. 24 jersey was the top-selling uniform in the NBA last season because his fans had to spend another $50-$120 on his new jersey in order to look hip and stay up to date in the Lakers universe.

If Bryant gets traded, should his ex-fans get a refund at the Lakers team store? Will ticket prices be slashed at Staples Center for season ticket-holders who only renewed their high priced seats because of the star power of Kobe? I think you know the answers to both of those questions. He changed his uniform number to make more money and gain more attention for his bloated ego.

West Coast bias
The media is once again kneeling at the altar of Kobe. L.A. is full of Lakers fans that write newspaper columns or flip flop as talk radio hosts and sound more confused than the fans that have to put up with their mood swings. It is entertaining to listen to a so-called member of the media support Kobe after they blamed Shaquille O’Neal for the downfall of the franchise.

These same homers are not backtracking in their displeasure for Shaq in the hopes of saving any credibility that they have left. The L.A. media might like covering this story because it sells papers and potentially could raise ratings, but if Kobe leaves, every media outlet will have to scramble to find reasons to cover this squad.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19319448/

However, while the Lakers undeniably have less leverage than a month ago, let's not lose sight of the fact that Kobe's still under contract for 2 more years. What's so unrealistic about them saying "look, we didn't get a package we like, and we're not going to trade you for 50 cents on the dollar, so let's try and make this work"? What's Kobe going to do? Sit out the next two years and forfeit $40 million? Not bloody likely. Start half-assing it on the court like that spoiled little girl Vince Carter? He's got way too much pride for that. Take potshots at Lakers management in the press? Maybe, but I doubt that he's going to endanger their chances of winning games when the season starts. When the season is over, that's another story. You can always mend fences in training camp. And if Jerry Buss is the bad guy, I suspect he doesn't care a heck of a lot so long as the Staples Center is full and the Lakers are at least competitive.
Its true the Lakers could just keep him, but seriously at this juncture, it just doesnt make sense. Kobe has clearly stated his frustration over the management, the ownership, and a few teammates. Had this occurred in private, not a big issue. But Kobe has openly insulted (albeit some implicitly while others explicitly) his teammates and I just dont see how this "team" could have a good season under Kobe next year. If Lakers have any self-respect, they have to part ways with Kobe

Just like Manny Ramirez demands to be traded for the last 3yrs. Kobe not going anywhere.
Oh c'mon. Half of Manny's actions are regarded as Manny being Manny. Comparing Kobe's situation with Manny's is like comparing apples and oranges. Also, Manny doesnt criticize his teammates, so there is no ugliness in the locker room. What is happening in LA is very very different.

You know I will not disagree that the Knicks won't offer the best package, But other than the Bulls what else is there? They are not trading Kobe to Dallas or the Suns. Lakers fans really believe that he won't be traded and he may not, But don't be shocked if he does. Sounds like they can get something for him now or nothing in a couple of years

I really dont see Knicks coming into play as they dont have one single guy with great potential. Like I said, Value-wise Phoenix and Dallas will give back LA the most, but only if [SIZE=-1]Kupchak is a complete moron (which isnt beyond belief) would he trade Kobe to Dallas or Phoenix.[/SIZE]

Yeah they do actually. Lee, Frye, and Robinson

Back
Top Bottom