La Canfora: Miami to pick Kaepernick at 15 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

La Canfora: Miami to pick Kaepernick at 15

Honestly, that Odrick pick floored me last year. I had no idea the Dolphins were that interested.

They seem to be very good at disguising their early picks. Their later picks are fairly well-telegraphed.

Exactly. Think about it, Vontae was the same thing. We knew they were interested in CBs but thought they would shy away from vontae because of charecter issues. Odrick no one had a clue. . .I think we are onto something here. Im hoping Kapernick is not the pick . . but if they are sold on him then lets do it. Bring him on.

Exactly. Think about it, Vontae was the same thing. We knew they were interested in CBs but thought they would shy away from vontae because of charecter issues. Odrick no one had a clue. . .I think we are onto something here. Im hoping Kapernick is not the pick . . but if they are sold on him then lets do it. Bring him on.

I actually had Vontae as my guy over 25 . . . we need a CB badly, and we still had JT and JP coming back in 2009. I also had them taking Long in 2008 over Ryan.

But yea 2010, I was lost . . . but I'm guessing so were most people because they didn't know Starks was going to attempt to move to NT full time.

Just for games . . . what position/player could this happen to this year? Koa Misi . . . moving inside and we could draft a pass rushing OLB. Not saying its gonna happen, but it would be eerily similar to last year if it did, and we haven't heard much of anything about defense from the Dolphins with that first pick.

locker sure looks the part but that tommy vardell stuff i saw this year from him not to mention into the 3rd quarter of the bowl game if i recall correctly before he completed a damn pass stuff leaves a bitter taste in my mouth...plus even in senior bowl 11 on 11 and 7 on 7 drills the ball was all over the place...

those accuracy issues scare the tar out of me...if someone takes him in the top 15 go with god my friend...go with god

I actually had Vontae as my guy over 25 . . . we need a CB badly, and we still had JT and JP coming back in 2009. I also had them taking Long in 2008 over Ryan.

But yea 2010, I was lost . . . but I'm guessing so were most people because they didn't know Starks was going to attempt to move to NT full time.

Just for games . . . what position/player could this happen to this year? Koa Misi . . . moving inside and we could draft a pass rushing OLB. Not saying its gonna happen, but it would be eerily similar to last year if it did, and we haven't heard much of anything about defense from the Dolphins with that first pick.

miami didn't even know what they were doing pretty much in 2010...no one here can tell me that they thought solai would come on like he did last year...otherwise they would have never told starks just prior to the draft they were moving him to nose...he would have been kept at end if they saw this kind of upswing in solais play from a consistency stand point in the crystal ball...

as for moving misi inside if that was the plan i'd be ok with using the top pick on an olb...problem is most the top pass rushing talents that would warrant the pick are all better 4-3 end fits imo...no way on this earth anyone could talk me into akeem ayers at #15...i don't care how much san diego supposedly likes him

anyways i'm one of the people who believes misi can play some inside...i saw some things in senior bowl practices to validate it in my mind last year and he's got strong hands and if moved inside would be a tough move for fbs on the lead and guards etc at the 2nd level and strong at the poa...add in good hips and cod and the way he pursues the ball and i don't see why he couldn't play and be effective in traffic inside

Krazy Legs gets flustered in the pocket and looks to escape instead of keeping his eyes downfield.

I'd be for him as a situational qb, like say, in the wildcat- but I do not want him as our franchise.

miami didn't even know what they were doing pretty much in 2010...no one here can tell me that they thought solai would come on like he did last year...otherwise they would have never told starks just prior to the draft they were moving him to nose...he would have been kept at end if they saw this kind of upswing in solais play from a consistency stand point in the crystal ball...

as for moving misi inside if that was the plan i'd be ok with using the top pick on an olb...problem is most the top pass rushing talents that would warrant the pick are all better 4-3 end fits imo...no way on this earth anyone could talk me into akeem ayers at #15...i don't care how much san diego supposedly likes him

anyways i'm one of the people who believes misi can play some inside...i saw some things in senior bowl practices to validate it in my mind last year and he's got strong hands and if moved inside would be a tough move for fbs on the lead and guards etc at the 2nd level...add in good hips and cod and the way he pursues the ball and i don't see why he couldn't play and be effective in traffic inside

That was the guy I was thinking in a similar "trade down" scenario like the one with Odrick last year. At 15, yea you would think they would jump at Aldon Smith as a potential convert. He definitely is athletic enough to play in the 3-4 at OLB.

Yea Misi inside has merit, I believe we worked him there last year in practice as well on occassion. I still ideally rather stick with the Misi/Wake combo and ride with the ILB's we have until next year . . . but I also don't want to reach badly with some of the names I have been hearing at 15 when I can stick an Aldon Smith at 15. He definitely isn't the worst name from what I have been hearing.

locker sure looks the part but that tommy vardell stuff i saw this year from him not to mention into the 3rd quarter of the bowl game if i recall correctly before he completed a damn pass stuff leaves a bitter taste in my mouth...plus even in senior bowl 11 on 11 and 7 on 7 drills the ball was all over the place...

those accuracy issues scare the tar out of me...if someone takes him in the top 15 go with god my friend...go with god

This cracked me up. Well done.

If they were to go Kaepernick at 15 with no trade down it would suggest they are SOLD on him being able to play and being able to play soon. No one gets sold on a guy who is 2-3 years from seeing a football field (especially when their jobs are on the line).

Again, the thing I have a hard time rationalizing is taking a guy who might need time to marinate by a regime that literally has no time to let that happen.

Take a project QB much higher than his value, and then combine him with a QB coach who has never coached QB's at ANY level before.

What could go wrong?

That was the guy I was thinking in a similar "trade down" scenario like the one with Odrick last year. At 15, yea you would think they would jump at Aldon Smith as a potential convert. He definitely is athletic enough to play in the 3-4 at OLB.

Yea Misi inside has merit, I believe we worked him there last year in practice as well on occassion. I still ideally rather stick with the Misi/Wake combo and ride with the ILB's we have until next year . . . but I also don't want to reach badly with some of the names I have been hearing at 15 when I can stick an Aldon Smith at 15. He definitely isn't the worst name from what I have been hearing.

Watch us trade down and take Nate Irving at pick 29 because Bill Parcells said on his show that he was a 1st rounder. That would be worse than Kaepernick at leas

I hope I've brightened those of you who fear the worst' days.

Following that line of thinking...I think Ponder could actually be the pick. He's a guy they have worked out that has flown so low under the radar for this team. One of those forehead-slapping moments where we look at him and realize the only real success this regime had was with the comparable QB Pennington.

Not saying it will happen, but it would certainly be surprising. I'd love the moxie to get Ponder.

Actually, one of my first posts here was a full-blown argument with CK about his draft grades for the '09 draft. I loved the V. Davis pick. I think, though, I might have defended the P. White pick a little . . . I don't remember. I went back and forth on that one a lot. I really didn't like any of the players at positions of need for us at that spot - aside from S. Smith.

it would be aldon smith or robert quinn for me...smiths a little straight line and stiff at olb to me but quinn is also...but quinns got a more polished outside rush arsenal so he gets the edge for me... sounds like neither gets to #15 anyways

quinn reminds me hip wise of cam wake as an olb...not the most fluid but he's got the same ankle flexion and ability to bend around the corner and explosive quality

it would be aldon smith or robert quinn for me...smiths a little straight line and stiff at olb to me but quinn is also...but quinns got a more polished outside rush arsenal so he gets the edge for me... sounds like neither gets to #15 anyways

quinn reminds me hip wise of cam wake as an olb...not the most fluid but he's got the same ankle flexion and ability to bend around the corner and explosive quality

I just think that in terms of what each does well, Smith is the better prospect. Quinn looks to have more ability to drop in coverage, etc. But, in terms of getting to the QB, Smith just looks notably better.

I just think that in terms of what each does well, Smith is the better prospect. Quinn looks to have more ability to drop in coverage, etc. But, in terms of getting to the QB, Smith just looks notably better.

you got to be more than a terrific athlete at the pro level to get to the qb on a consistent basis at olb...again i'm splitting hairs here but smiths a little more raw than quinn from a edge rush arsenal ...both imo great looking prospects but give me the guy i think has a more well rounded edge rush game right now...

i think smiths gonna be a better pro than jpp who played pretty darn well for the giants last year...he's got that kind of physical abilities and not as raw

asking robert quinn to drop isn't something i'd be interested in doing very much anyways...i want that guy going forward...

Back
Top Bottom