Let's Talk Potential QBs in Rd 1 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's Talk Potential QBs in Rd 1

We'd have to wait another season, but I really like Jake Browning of Washington. He started as a true freshman for Chris Petersen last season and took some knocks but looks really good this year and on schedule to be a really good QB.

He was mentored under former NFL QB Troy Taylor, who is a renowned QB mentor on the West Coast and is now the OC at Eastern Washington. Browning was the best of several prolific QB's developed at Folsom High School (just outside Sacramento, CA). He broke the National record for career TD passes (229 in 3 yrs) and came really close in yardage and started as a SOPH. He threw 91 TD's his senior season (that's not a typo) and led his team to a CA state championship. He's got an excellent background.

Look for yourself, but keep in mind these were FRESHMAN highlights from last season. There's also plenty of high school footage on him. There's a good chance he's available in the 2018 draft as an early entry.

[video=youtube;SDoOKWcvOrc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDoOKWcvOrc[/video]

I highly doubt we draft a QB in the first round but we need to draft one at some point. Other teams have found good QB's in the middle rounds but we never even try. We have so many holes tho. The whole team is a mess. I have supported Tannehill as he is our QB but we gotta have a plan B and that is not Moore. For sure draft a QB at some point but we also need two guards, two LB's, a real pass rushing DE, another corner and a TE so QB is not the only thing we need

Ozzy rules!!

Round 1 is the only round worth drafting a QB in. You'll name some exceptions, but that's all they are.

In terms of draft eligible it's Watson/Kizor/Kaaya and even if you think Tanny can turn it around it'd be tough to pass up Kizor or Kaaya if they are available and honestly would be inexcusable not to take Watson.

If we don't have a shot at any of them and Tanny stays at his current level? Joe Rosen 2018 baby

Watched Kizer for the first half and watching kaaya now. Hard to get much from this game though so far, kaaya hasn't got touched.

I tell ya this qb on GA Tech is fun to watch though. He's crazy, but he's fun to watch.

I really like Brad Kaaya as a pro prospect. And he has had a very, very good first 2 1/3 seasons as a Canes QB. But if he does come out this year (which isn't a certainty), IMHO he would need to sit a year before being ready to win in the NFL. It's not that he's raw, but he is a limited athlete, and has to win executing the offense with precision. And he's good at that. But I think I'd prefer he sit a year and learn the offense before taking the reigns at this level. Just my 2 cents.

Deshaun Watson averaged 10.6 YPA in the first half. His YPA had been down this year, but most of that is on his receivers, who had been awful. Watson wasn't quite as sharp as usual against Troy, but the Auburn game was more about his receivers failing to win and dropping passes than Watson struggling. I still think there's some distance between him and the rest of this very good QB group.

Jinx game on point :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Watson has regressed. Such a project.

Kizer and Kaaya.

Deshaun Watson averaged 10.6 YPA in the first half. His YPA had been down this year, but most of that is on his receivers, who had been awful. Watson wasn't quite as sharp as usual against Troy, but the Auburn game was more about his receivers failing to win and dropping passes than Watson struggling. I still think there's some distance between him and the rest of this very good QB group.

Jinx game on point :lol:

Watson's receivers have let him down a lot this season. But Watson is also missing on more passes this season than last, but I still think agree that he's the best QB that can declare.

I really like Brad Kaaya as a pro prospect. And he has had a very, very good first 2 1/3 seasons as a Canes QB. But if he does come out this year (which isn't a certainty), IMHO he would need to sit a year before being ready to win in the NFL. It's not that he's raw, but he is a limited athlete, and has to win executing the offense with precision. And he's good at that. But I think I'd prefer he sit a year and learn the offense before taking the reigns at this level. Just my 2 cents.

I really like how quick he goes through his reads, instantly makes his reads and moves to the next target, He's accurate and has very good touch. I don't really know if he can deal with pressure though. Once he drops back he really doesn't move much.

The talk is pointless as long as T-bum is GM.

good, you can stop talking then.

I'm a canes fan but to me, Kayaa is very similar to Tannehill. I don't think Tannehill is as bad as some others so don't take that as a huge negative, but I don't see his pro results being much better from what we've seen so far. My opinion:

Better touch, but worse arm strength.
Better pocket presence, as in climbing the pocket, but rarely see him escape sure sacks and make plays off of escaping, even picking up first downs with his feet.
Everything you want to hear from a QB, but no visible fire and leadership some crave.
No real signature wins and putting his team on his back with comebacks.
No gaudy stats or dominance at the college level.
Seems to go as his team goes, if the running game and D is locked in he's usually good. Game manager level seems very achievable.

I feel like his first round projection seems purely based on measurables, we will see what happens this year and in the combine. He could very well mature into something more, he still seems to have a small frame and seems very young compared to others.

If we draft a QB, I'd personally prefer someone rounds 2+ that is the opposite of these things, even if the don't check all the boxes per se and maybe we end up with someone like Dak, RW, etc.

I don't see Watson as a project, and people said similar things about Winston. Like Winston, Watson wants to push the ball down the field, and he gives his receivers opportunities to make plays. To this point, they have mostly failed to hold up their side of the deal. I am concerned about dildo sleezebag running him into the ground, but as long as he enters the draft healthy, he's my #1 pick.

I find college ball hard to stomach at times b/c of the lack of defense, but that was elite play by Watson and Jackson last night. Entertaining to say the least.

I think Watson is gonna be like Winston and be a high turnover guy. That's the gun slinger mentality which you need but you have to pick your spots too. I'm not as high on Winston as alot of this board

I find college ball hard to stomach at times b/c of the lack of defense, but that was elite play by Watson and Jackson last night. Entertaining to say the least.

Depends on the conference, BUT there are a lot of teams that have alarming regression. A lot due to piss poor coaching hires

Back
Top Bottom