Longs 40 time | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Longs 40 time

The only 2 words i have for people that base their opinion on a player based on combine numbers......

Mike F'n Mamula

Next topic please

No i'm not saying the 40 yard dash is the most important thing.

In short what i'm saying is, Long would make a good/great DE in the 4-3.

His lack of speed/Acceleration around the edge/and overall lack of speed for a 3-4 OLB would be a waste our #1 overall pick and a waste of his talents.

I even went back and looked at the past drafts, from the past 5 years of the top 6 OLB's in the drafts, from 2002 to 2007, and only one guy ran right about what Long did in the 40 yard dash, out of 30 guys.

Again,,, only one out of all them top 30 guys was as slow as Long in the 40, and he has yet to get a sack in the NFL.

So odd's are he's not going to be good rushing the passer in the NFL.One GM/VP , has even said the same, and that info is in this Thread.

Why is it that dolfans want to take a OLB that is better stopping the run then the pass when we all ready have JT/JP who are good to great at both.

Even if we get rid of JT they would still put JP at ROLB so Long would still spend 1/2 the game running with the other teams TE.

So please tell me how this long guy who only got a sack every other game in college as a DE is going to pan out in the NFL when he going to spend 1/2 is day running with TE's as a LOLB.

In other words he would not be our speed rusher he'd be our cover OLB.Is that what you want from your # 1 overall pick?

So you'd rather draft a guy that teams will run at because he can't stop the run very well and we can give up 200 yards a game, but don't worry Gholston will be able to keep up with any TE so were all better now.

So people that cover football and even some of us that watch football have this silly idea of stopping the run first and then teeing up the QB on 3rd and long situations. This is where C.Long becomes the most valuable player because after he's done clocking the RB on the first two downs he can stay on the field and sack the QB on 3rd down.

I don't know where you get your sack totals from because everywhere I've read Gholston and Long had the same sacks at 14, Long had more tackles for a loss, and had alot more tackles period. But Gholston runs a faster 40 and jumps higher so i guess that makes him a better football player ?????

One guy makes plays everywhere the other guy looks pretty, that's a real tough decision come draft time!

So you'd rather draft a guy that teams will run at because he can't stop the run very well and we can give up 200 yards a game, but don't worry Gholston will be able to keep up with any TE so were all better now.

So people that cover football and even some of us that watch football have this silly idea of stopping the run first and then teeing up the QB on 3rd and long situations. This is where C.Long becomes the most valuable player because after he's done clocking the RB on the first two downs he can stay on the field and sack the QB on 3rd down.

I don't know where you get your sack totals from because everywhere I've read Gholston and Long had the same sacks at 14, Long had more tackles for a loss, and had alot more tackles period. But Gholston runs a faster 40 and jumps higher so i guess that makes him a better football player ?????

One guy makes plays everywhere the other guy looks pretty, that's a real tough decision come draft time!

i'd rather take a guy that is part of every play (chris Long) wheather it is sacks, tackles, putting pressure on the QB or getting in the passing lanes...over a guy who in one play makes an awesome play and the next play has ran himself out of the play (Vernon gholston).

Name one scout that thinks Gholston is bad at playing the run................i'll wait here, G/L

Name one scout that thinks Gholston is bad at playing the run................i'll wait here, G/L

hes not bad at playing the run its just CL is better against the run...VG is like JT and a guy who gets to the QB and sometimes cant shed the blocker on run plays but is still good against the run

Guys...play nice. You can disagree but keep the name calling out of it. Everyone has opinions and thats why you are here. But they should be opinions about the game not each others intelligence.

So be cool...have fun.

That makes sense.. at least we're all ignoring all of my points.

On a side note, is there a way to block certain posters from PMing you? I'm getting a bit tired of the daily garbage private message I have waiting for me in my box from a member who shall remain nameless.

Moving on -

Is there any sort of evidence to suggest that Gholston is a better OLB than Long? The only evidence Ive seen, the drills and the agility tests, point to Chris Long being the superior OLB, but every single person that sees a combine time and reads a couple of mock drafts spouts out how Chris Long is the next Matt Roth ( which is racist, IMO, if Chris Long were black there would be no way you'd make a comparison to him and Matt Roth. White DE?! THATS MATT ROTH ALRIGHT! )and Vernon Gholston is the next Shawne Merriman. Playing ability aside, they are both big black guys who run fast 40s!

I think some of you are trying to say Long sheds his blockers better then Gholston vs the run and Long has more then 1 move to get to the QB.

I think some of you are trying to say Long sheds his blockers better then Gholston vs the run and Long has more then 1 move to get to the QB.
FOX Sports Head-2-Head: Long vs Gholston
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7957044/Head-2-Head:-Long-vs.-Gholston

Chris Long
Prior to the 2007 season, Long didn't have as much success getting to the quarterback, as he was basically double-teamed on every play as a junior. Despite the attention, Long still managed five sacks and an impressive 57 tackles.

The biggest improvement in Long's game during his senior year was his hand placement. He's so explosive off the line, and he used his strong hands to engage, gaining instant leverage on contact. He was able to fight through double teams and get into the backfield using his high motor.

Long is an outstanding athlete and shows great fluidity in his hips, which will allow him to drop back and play OLB in a 3-4 defense.

Vernon Gholston
This past season, Gholston had a breakout season for the Buckeyes and displayed his tenacity as a pass rusher by attaining 15.5 tackles for a loss and 14 sacks. As a sophomore, Gholston posted 15 tackles for a loss and recorded 8.5 sacks.

Gholston's ability as a pass rusher has never been questioned, but his inconsistency defending the run is well documented. As strong as Gholston is, he has trouble disengaging from blockers to consistently position himself to make tackles.

At 6-foot-3, 266 pounds, Gholston has all the intangibles to improve his inconsistent run defense and displayed those qualities this offseason in front of scouts.

In the past five years there has only been one top six OLB that had a slower timed 40 then Long.

Say Hello to Chad Greenway.He was drafted in 2006,missed his 1st year, but played all 16 games last year and didn't get even one sack.

Thoughts..........

If we draft Chris Long and he has to run 40 yards a play we are in some serious trouble then again how many defensive lineman or even LBs have to run 40 yards a play?

I don't t:shakeno:hink his 40 time will be a problem

If Chris Long doesn't have the speed to play OLB then we have to let go of Quentin Moses, Abe Wright, Matt Roth.
FYI...
Moses: Only played a pass rushing end on obvious passing situations.
Wright: is a sleeper who was timed in the 4.6's
Roth: better play at a higher level or he will be let go.

I like C. Long a lot but it is awful hard not to compare him to Roth. And Roth has not been good up to this point.

on the contrary, it is very EASY NOT to compare them. The only similarities are their ht and wt and skin color. Athletic ability is quite a different story.
By your arguement every white QB who measure 6'4" and 225 lbs is similar to Marino.

Back
Top Bottom