Matt Moore lovers....See why we got Cutler? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Moore lovers....See why we got Cutler?

Matt Moore is a backup QB always has been always will be ....no more no less.

Looking at 2017, who is a better option than Moore if Cutler goes down long term? I'm fine with parting ways w/ Moore after this season, I just don't see an upgrade out there right now.

I thought Cutler's ball placement was pretty weak last night, but Matt Moore was god awful.

I don't understand the happy to have him as a backup. I cringe every time he drops back to pass. I'd rather have a backup that can't run the whole offense due to experience or physical limitations than a guy is just as likely as not to have a brain fart on a 3 yard slant to a TE. You literally have to hope there are no good defensive calls or good reads by the defense, cause Moore is going to throw right into them.

Watch backup QB play across the NFL. Matt Moore is a cut above those guys.

If Matt Moore was a starting NFL QB he would have been signed when he was a FA. He wasn't so he signed to be our back up again. After a shaky series or 2, we hit our groove. Both sides of the ball started playing like they are capable of.... then good ole Matt Moore came in and bam, fun level to zero.

If Matt Moore was a starting NFL QB he would have been signed when he was a FA. He wasn't so he signed to be our back up again. After a shaky series or 2, we hit our groove. Both sides of the ball started playing like they are capable of.... then good ole Matt Moore came in and bam, fun level to zero.

Even though I agree that Moore isn't a starter, I think this is a bad line of argument. For example, when we were rumored to sign Jay Cutler, someone else argued that Cutler is really bad, and that's why even the Jets hadn't signed him.

I countered by saying that the best move the Jets could have made... would have been to sign Jay Cutler. He is not the best quarterback in the NFL, and there is a reason why he has a very mixed reputation, but he is one of the best 32 in the League.

Sometimes, teams make dumb decisions at the QB position. See: Osweiler, Brock.

This is going to be probably the greatest season in Dolphins history...as far as bickering with fellow dolphin fans goes. If you like to argue, this season is probably your Super Bowl. The possible narratives and counter-narratives are endless. I guarantee there will be a thread at some point in the first quarter of the season along the lines of: SEE!?!? This is why you don't throw away $10 million on Cutler...

For me, there should be no free passes. Cutler is not a big step up or step down from Tannehill, so that shouldn't be used as an excuse for a poor record whether the offense is bad, or more likely, the defense is horrendous. In fact, I expect the offense to be pretty good. Ajayi is a beast. Our WR trio is being praised as if they are arguably the best 3 in the NFL. And as far as the o-line goes if you can't make due with three first rounders then I don't know what to tell you. If Gase is the real deal we should see evidence of it, there should be no excuse making because we painted ourselves into this corner. As far as Moore goes if you believe you need his specific skills on your team, a guy you trust to come of f the bench for a game or two but nothing more, then carry 3 QBs. For me I never would have signed Moore in the first place in 2011 and I find it more and more ridiculous when he remains year after year let alone regime after regime.

Even though I agree that Moore isn't a starter, I think this is a bad line of argument. For example, when we were rumored to sign Jay Cutler, someone else argued that Cutler is really bad, and that's why even the Jets hadn't signed him.

I countered by saying that the best move the Jets could have made... would have been to sign Jay Cutler. He is not the best quarterback in the NFL, and there is a reason why he has a very mixed reputation, but he is one of the best 32 in the League.

Sometimes, teams make dumb decisions at the QB position. See: Osweiler, Brock.
I don't think the Jets truly wanted to sign Cutler. By doing so they would probably lose the chance at the 1st overall pick. The Jets are clearly gunning for that.

I don't think the Jets truly wanted to sign Cutler. By doing so they would probably lose the chance at the 1st overall pick. The Jets are clearly gunning for that.

How about teams like the Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers, Buffalo Bills (the offense they just installed is a very bad fit for Tyrod Taylor's skillset), the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, etc. ?

Maybe they felt like he wasn't worth his 'baggage,' but the fact is that a quality starting QB was on the market and a bunch of teams that don't have even a quality backup quarterback decided to pass on him.

Watch backup QB play across the NFL. Matt Moore is a cut above those guys.

Without going backup by backup through the league, I disagree in principle. IMO, the worst thing a backup QB can do is turn it over. You cannot have a backup that fails to move the team AND gives points to the other team. It undermines your defense and (if done enough) requires a change to your game plan to put more emphasis on the passing game to come from behind. Unfortunately, Moore has the mindset of a starter and the skills of a backup.

How about teams like the Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers, Buffalo Bills (the offense they just installed is a very bad fit for Tyrod Taylor's skillset), the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, etc. ?

Maybe they felt like he wasn't worth his 'baggage,' but the fact is that a quality starting QB was on the market and a bunch of teams that don't have even a quality backup quarterback decided to pass on him.

I think the situation would have been different if he hadn't retired and taken a spot in the broadcasting booth. Also, we have no idea if teams reached out to him to get a sense of his interest and got rebuffed. If he had been a free agent and open to a spot anywhere, he may have been brought in for visits.

Without going backup by backup through the league, I disagree in principle. IMO, the worst thing a backup QB can do is turn it over. You cannot have a backup that fails to move the team AND gives points to the other team. It undermines your defense and (if done enough) requires a change to your game plan to put more emphasis on the passing game to come from behind. Unfortunately, Moore has the mindset of a starter and the skills of a backup.

Go through backup by backup. And I disagree completely. The worst thing a backup QB can do is present no credible threat of throwing the football.

For a great example that is relevant because it features our current offense, our current HC, and our current starting QB, see: Chicago Bears, 2015. Jimmy Clausen steps into the game and the Bears literally can no longer move the football or score. He didn't turn it over, though!

Back
Top Bottom