Merged: Dolphins make 2-year offer Harrington./ Joey Harrington Threads | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Dolphins make 2-year offer Harrington./ Joey Harrington Threads

Good. I can't think of a better backup QB available than Joey, since he may have to start some games.

The dude is hungry to reclaim his starting spot (which won't happen, but humor him), so he'll (hopefully) work hard in the offseason and be ready to at least be a QB to tide us over if Daunte slips in his rehab.

At least he's had experience. I don't think Joey's starting material but I like the idea of him as a backup. I hardly think he's a case of "new environment, solid play", but he doesn't have to be. Daunte's the starter.

Sorry if this has been posted guys...I saw the Herald post but didn't know if anyone saw the espn news info.

usually when espn news does this, it's pretty damn close to happening.

And no offense, but I didn't want to go through 150 posts in that thread to see if it had been posted...sorry.

G-Force said:
No one wanted to pick Feely up because off the waiver they would have his contract. Wanny overpaid him and we dealt him the only way we could without hurting us. If Lemmon was that important why did we get Culpepper and are now looking for a back-up? Sorry you are misinformed or just wrong.
It's not my problem if you don't understand how the NFL salary cap works.

Trading a player is the EXACT SAME THING as far as the cap is concerned as waiving the player.

The cap hit resulting from the trade to SD was the same cap hit if AJ had been released outright.

Bottom line:

The FO liked Lemon. Maybe they've changed their feelings about him now. But they liked him at the point of the trade. So did Marty Schottenheimer.

vadolfan said:
Sorry if this has been posted guys...I saw the Herald post but didn't know if anyone saw the espn news info.

usually when espn news does this, it's pretty damn close to happening.

And no offense, but I didn't want to go through 150 posts in that thread to see if it had been posted...sorry.

The ESPN News bit was mentioned several times on the last page of this thread.

NMNB said:
The ESPN News bit was mentioned several times on the last page of this thread.

Sorry. My bad.

Jimmy James said:
Explain to us *how* trading him was different from waiving him. That's what we need here.
I will try my best. If we put him on waivers we would have only had 2 qb's and still be paying Feely.If you put someone on waivers someone else would have tyo pick him up or your paying someone for nothing. Wanny and Speilman gave him a huge contract and knowbody else besides them would pay a third string qb that kind of money. We had to give a sixth round pick and Feely for Lemmon because SD wanted more to pick up all that cap space than Feely because he wasn't worth it. By trading Feely we got another qb and got rid of his contract to SD.

Whether you trade or release a guy, you take the same cap hit. The prorated portion of the signing bonus.

Either way, you don't pay the base salary. We could have "gotten rid of the contract" just as effectively by waiving him.

NMNB said:
It's not my problem if you don't understand how the NFL salary cap works.

Trading a player is the EXACT SAME THING as far as the cap is concerned as waiving the player.

The cap hit resulting from the trade to SD was the same cap hit if AJ had been released outright.

Bottom line:

The FO liked Lemon. Maybe they've changed their feelings about him now. But they liked him at the point of the trade. So did Marty Schottenheimer.
Marty was pissed. If nobody picks the player off waivers you are stuck with his contract and have to pay them. If you trade them the other team picks some or all of the contract up. SD would not have picked him up because of the cap and the only reason they did was because we threw in the pick.

Take this with a BIG grain of salt, but there is a rumor that just popped up on a Lions board that we got Joey for a 4th round draft pick. Nothing set in stone, just a rumor that could be true or just made up by a Lions fan.

Ummm, that's not true. If you release a player, you don't have to pay anything extra. You do not have to pay his base salary anymore. You do take a cap hit, however, depending on the remaining prorated portion of the signing bonus left.

In the NFL, contracts are not guaranteed. I don't know how much more clearly I can spell this out for you.

If nobody picks the player off waivers you are stuck with his contract and have to pay them. If you trade them the other team picks some or all of the contract up. SD would not have picked him up because of the cap and the only reason they did was because we threw in the pick.

Nublar7 said:
Take this with a BIG grain of salt, but there is a rumor that just popped up on a Lions board that we got Joey for a 4th round draft pick. Nothing set in stone, just a rumor that could be true or just made up by a Lions fan.

Whoa.. a 4th round pick is WAY too much! I would NOT support that.

Back
Top Bottom