Merged: Dolphins make 2-year offer Harrington./ Joey Harrington Threads | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Dolphins make 2-year offer Harrington./ Joey Harrington Threads

NMNB said:
It's not my problem if you don't understand how the NFL salary cap works.

Trading a player is the EXACT SAME THING as far as the cap is concerned as waiving the player.

The cap hit resulting from the trade to SD was the same cap hit if AJ had been released outright.

Bottom line:

The FO liked Lemon. Maybe they've changed their feelings about him now. But they liked him at the point of the trade. So did Marty Schottenheimer.
This trade was Lemon to Miami for a sixth. Feeley was thrown in at the last minute.

Nublar7 said:
Take this with a BIG grain of salt, but there is a rumor that just popped up on a Lions board that we got Joey for a 4th round draft pick. Nothing set in stone, just a rumor that could be true or just made up by a Lions fan.
link?

Fin Fan in Cali said:
This trade was Lemon to Miami for a sixth. Feeley was thrown in at the last minute.
He was thrown in because SD realized they would probably need a backup QB if they traded/lost Brees or Rivers.
We were willing to trade Feeley just to not be responsible for his contract anymore, and to feel like we got something back. If Feeley wasn't dealt to SD, he might have eventually been cut anyway.

NMNB said:
He was thrown in because SD realized they would probably need a backup QB if they traded/lost Brees or Rivers.
We were willing to trade Feeley just to not be responsible for his base salary anymore, and to feel like we got something back. If Feeley wasn't dealt to SD, he might have eventually been cut anyway.
True but look at this way the San Diego Super Chargers are one play away from having Feeley as there starting quarterback.:sidelol:

NMNB said:
[mod] Keep it respectable! [/mod]

Yes it is.

we were not talking about the same thing. I went back and reread the posts that caused you to say that. I was unaware you were talking cap hits so my bad on that.

NMNB said:
Ummm, that's not true. If you release a player, you don't have to pay anything extra. You do not have to pay his base salary anymore. You do take a cap hit, however, depending on the remaining prorated portion of the signing bonus left.

In the NFL, contracts are not guaranteed. I don't know how much more clearly I can spell this out for you.
My point is the cap penalty would have been major. I thought we was talking about you saying putting them on waivers and trading them was the same thing which it's not. If you trade you avoid the cap penalty. If put on waivers you are paying the contract until someone picks him up. If you release you deal with the cap penalty. So we were right.

If you trade a player, you still take the same cap hit. For the 4th time, you take the remainder of the prorated signing bonus.

For example:

If you sign a guy to a 5 year deal worth $20 million, including a $4 million signing bonus.

If you release him after 2 years, you are no longer responsible for the contract, but you take a $2.4 million hit against the cap.
If you trade him after 2 years, you are no longer responsible for the contract, but you take a $2.4 million hit against the cap.

So you're still wrong. BTW, you misspelled eighth in your signature.

NMNB said:
We were willing to trade Feeley just to not be responsible for his base salary anymore, and to feel like we got something back. If Feeley wasn't dealt to SD, he might have eventually been cut anyway.

Actually, the trading of AJ acelerated his cap hit to 2005, instead of 2006. So, in actuality, we saved room on the 2006 by trading him when we did. Marty was pissed about the deal because, according to media outlets, the deal was made without his knowledge by AJ Smith. The side positive for Saban was that by trading AJ last season, he avoided any potential QB controversy, since he had to know that there would have been ups and downs with Gus at the helm...

NMNB said:
If you trade a player, you still take the same cap hit. For the 4th time, you take the remainder of the prorated signing bonus.

For example:

If you sign a guy to a 5 year deal worth $20 million, including a $4 million signing bonus.

If you release him after 2 years, you are no longer responsible for the contract, but you take a $2.4 million hit against the cap.
If you trade him after 2 years, you are no longer responsible for the contract, but you take a $2.4 million hit against the cap.

Is this for just one year or every year left on the contract?

Why would it be 2.4 million?

Would it help if the bonus was paid all at once at signing?

NMNB said:

For example:

Thanks for the correction on the sig. But yeah what LarryFinFan pointed out so you were wrong it wasn't the same.

I will have to reserve judgement until I have official contract and draft pick or picks to decide my comfort level with this rumor.

Personally, I like the idea of a young Harrington as insurance for Daunte for the first few games. I like the idea of him with our offense and playmakers taking the pressure off him, but he has to also grow up a little and get tougher based on what I saw of him in Detriot.

I suspect at the end of the day, if it works out, and Daunte comes back to run this team, in the long run, Harrington is nothing but trade bait down the road based on his own age, etc....and maybe the picks we get in the future will also justify this possible trade.

But I hope his contract and whatever we have to trade to consumate the deal is not over-priced based on the value he returns.

GCD960 said:
Is this for just one year or every year left on the contract?

Why would it be 2.4 million?

Would it help if the bonus was paid all at once at signing?

Signing bonuses are paid when the contract is signed. However, the salary cap treats them differently. It divides the signing bonus into equal portions for each year of the contract.

In my example, the signing bonus would count 800,000 against the cap each year of the contract. If the player was released after two seasons, the remainder of the signing bonus would accelerate against the cap. Years 1 and 2 were 800K each, equalling 1.6 million. Thus, 4 million-1.6 million=2.4 million.

G-Force said:
Thanks for the correction on the sig. But yeah what LarryFinFan pointed out so you were wrong it wasn't the same.

For the 7th time:

Releasing him would have resulted in the same cap consequences.

Back
Top Bottom