Merged: Dolphins make 2-year offer Harrington./ Joey Harrington Threads | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Dolphins make 2-year offer Harrington./ Joey Harrington Threads

(lame joke for the millionth time)

LINK?

as far as who is right and who is wrong, I think Abe Vigoda is right

NMNB said:
Ummm, that's not true. If you release a player, you don't have to pay anything extra. You do not have to pay his base salary anymore. You do take a cap hit, however, depending on the remaining prorated portion of the signing bonus left.

In the NFL, contracts are not guaranteed. I don't know how much more clearly I can spell this out for you.

I'm not positive we're right about there being no difference. I know that the general rule is that NFL contracts are not guaranteed, but it is just a general rule. Teams can guarantee money, and I wonder if there is a way to do it that means there is a difference between a trade and releasing a player. I know a signing bonus is treated the same way either way, but what about guaranteeing future base salaries?

Here's some from PFT back when the trade happened:

Word is that the Dolphins regard Lemon as the guy who can take over the starting job in 2006 -- and hold it indefinitely into the future. The Fins, we hear, had been scouting Lemon for months. They regard the deal as a steal.​
And they should. They gave up a six and a guy whom they would have dumped after the 2005 season anyway, especially since his salary is poised to make a significant jump upward in 2006.
In San Diego, the decision to squeeze Lemon out didn't go over well. A league source tells us that multiple members of the organization were "livid" about the trade.​

The addition of Feeley could be an effort by the Chargers to determine whether he'll be able to serve as a capable backup to the survivor of the Drew Brees-Philip Rivers elimination match. But even if San Diego keeps Feeley beyond 2005, the Chargers will need to renegotiate a contract that spikes from $540,000 in salary this season to $3.5 million in 2006, $4.55 million in 2007, and $5.6 million in 2008.

The Fins took a cap hit of remainder of the initial signing bonus on the 5 year deal Feeley signed. That was the very same cap hit they would have taken had they released him instead of trading him.

Jimmy James said:
I'm not positive we're right about there being no difference. I know that the general rule is that NFL contracts are not guaranteed, but it is just a general rule. Teams can guarantee money, and I wonder if there is a way to do it that means there is a difference between a trade and releasing a player. I know a signing bonus is treated the same way either way, but what about guaranteeing future base salaries?

If you guarantee base salaries, that money would also hit the cap if you released a player before those years came up. But teams rarely guarantee base salaries, and if they do, it's a virtual certainty that the player will not be released before those guaranteed years.
The Feeley contract was a standard back-loaded deal with no such guaranteed salaries.

motioncityhifi said:
i really doubt the trade that they heard. A fourth when they originally wanted a sixth??

Yeah, no way they get a 4th for Harrington.

You have to love all these bogus rumors...I don't think one rumor we have heard from the beginning of F/A has even remotely been close...from the signing of Brees..to Arrington..to anything. I even laughed when it was reported that Peterson was in Miami meeting with the team when he never even visited and signed his contract with Seattle.

would be a great pick-up and would insure a good season even if Culpepper can't start all of it. I just wish we wouldn't give up another draft choice. we only have 6 this year and 3 are in the 7th round. with this trade we either give up 2 7th's or a 6th next year. but it's a good trade, as long as we keep our 1st and 3rd I'm happy because we will get two good young players

a true starter and a true backup is something we have not seen in a while. With the signing of harrington will give us the best offseason in a while this team is on the way to a championship.

Don't Give A Lot Of Importance To Our Backup QB!!!

Since Marino left, our priority has been to seek a great talented QB for a STARTER, now that we've got Daunte as a starter, we're looking for a backup QB to be his substitute for 2 or 3 games, who cares for those 2 or 3 games with a bad substitute, we dont have to give a lot of importance to it, its not an entire season and its just a possibility that he could miss 2 or 3 games, I mean who cares Brock Berlin, Cleo Lemon or even Nick Saban could play those games and in the worst of the cases that we lost 3, we could get to playoffs later with Daunte playing...

So what I mean, is not to give such importance as we're giving to it, there are other positions to improve than QB...

Fiedler, Frerotte, Rosenfels even A.J. Feleey could have played an entire season as STARTING QB's and now that our backup (Harrington, Collins or Maddox) might be better than all those "starters" we are worrying about it...

phinfan999 said:
i wouldnt want to take the chance

I've got your point, but I just don't want to give my round picks for a backup QB that could also mean no LaVar signing for the Dolphins because of the salary cap...

Back
Top Bottom