MERGED: Dolphin's Rumored OffSeason Plan. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Dolphin's Rumored OffSeason Plan.

I agree. I typically defend Ross since at least he is willing to open the pocketbook as opposed to some NFL owners but this was stupid.

Ross is an easy target now for the media.
Would it have been so difficult to say something like "We will do whatever it takes to make the team better. I will spare no expense but I will leave the football decisions to my staff."

This type of talk not only goes against Philbins philosophy, it hurts morale of the current WR crew and declares our intentions to the agents of the FA WR class making negotiations more difficult.

Sorry didn't realize this was an internal meeting. In that case I sign below what Datruth said

I'm am totally for upgrading the wide receiver position, But all this talk about TRUE NO. 1 receiver is hard to hear. They are not that easy to get or we would have one. How about a deep threat and also another guy who can come in and catch a ball when he is asked to. If we can get a Larry Fitzgerald type than thats great, but I would settle for two more hartline type guys that can actually catch.

I'm giving Ireland one last chance to get this right. We have a solid nucleus but we still need more playmakers. Ireland will have close to $10-$20 millon left in cap space after re-signing our own free agents and were loaded with draft picks so he has the ammunition.

There was a report that said we have 81 million invested in players for next season
and with a salary cap projected at 121 million that leaves us with 40 million for free agents

I'm going to project on the lower side of salaries for a few free agents we might sign

Long at $10 million a season but he could possibly be franchised at $15.36 million
Starks at a low projection at $5 million
Smith at $6 million another low projection
Bush at $4 million
Hartline at $4 million
Fasano at $4 million

We also have NO QBs signed for next season other than Tannehill possibly another $2 million or more for 2 backup QBs
We also need $6 million or so for draft picks

This is already over $40 million
with another 18 players above and beyond the players above that are either unrestricted or restricted free agents
that will need to be signed/replaced even at NFL minimum you're looking at close to $7 million for those 18 players

Now Miami is looking at close to $50 million and if Long is franchised and players get better contracts than above
we're looking at $60 million with only $40 million to spend

I don't think that we will be able to sign the above free agents
I hope I'm wrong

If you are playing poker with 31 BILLIONAIRES would you broadcast to all of them exactly what you are going to do with every chip and card?

That is a sure way to lose, isn't it?

Especially when you are already paying millions to profesionals to make those decisions. You can be sure that no GM in the NFL would be broadcasting what they want to do if they want to succeed.
lol, you think 31 billionaires got there by being dumb and not knowing what their competition is doing? Every owner/GM in the league pretty much knows what every other owner/GM in the league needs for their teams. Take a trip over to the draft forum once in a while. If we talk about what other teams needs are before the draft, as fans, don't you think the professionals are on it as well?

Not to change the subject, but did anyone catch that video over at SunSentenial next to the article with Zach and JT?? I saw one on miamidolphins.com with those two but this was a different one with them both in the locker room. That was freaking hilarious. They were talking about a pickup b-ball game where they about got into a fight with each other. Man I miss those two. Great vid if you haven't seen it.

I think this is bait. Ireland will pull the trigger on a WR trade right now if the right one comes available. The bye is the right time to add one if it's going to be this season.

If the Phins believe they can make a run (and I think they do), they will be looking to make the offense more potent. This is bait to see if they get some bites. Again, it has to be the right WR at the right price.

As long as Ross doesn't dictate certain moves, I see nothing wrong with him saying the same thing all of the fans are. It's obvious Miami needs help at wide receiver even with the emergence of Brian Hartline, who I always felt was a bit underrated. Would love to see what Ryan Tannehill could do with a real game changer at the position and would prefer that this player came through free agency. Then, Miami could concentrate on what appears to be the strength of the draft -- pass rushers. Would love to see the team get two guys who could complement Cam Wake.

I'm giving Ireland one last chance to get this right. We have a solid nucleus but we still need more playmakers. Ireland will have close to $10-$20 millon left in cap space after re-signing our own free agents and were loaded with draft picks so he has the ammunition. If he gives me bowe, wallace, jennings, or a couple studs out of the draft I will be happy. We still need a seem threat TE, another pass rusher, a boundary corner so we can put marshall back at the nickel where he belongs, and we need an upgrade at FS.

What would you say to Philbin, who has been directly quoted in saying you build through the draft, as GB did? I cannot recall any big name players they signed on O.

With five draft picks in the top 96 of the 2013 draft, and a lot of salary cap space, Ireland should be able to address our biggest needs. I know he has made a few questionable picks and acquisitions, but he hasn't been a total disaster. I would probably give him about a C- ....I think he clearly knows we could use a #1 WR to compliment Hartline and Bess, and we have stockpiled picks, so hopefully Ireland and the front office can get us some real studs.

What would you say to Philbin, who has been directly quoted in saying you build through the draft, as GB did? I cannot recall any big name players they signed on O.

That's a bunch of noise.

If a good player becomes available, you go after him. No matter what happened at a prior job.

thats my top choice, tannehill needs a big body threat, then draft tavon austin in the second round and go into next year with bowe, hartline, bess, austin, gaffney, thats a nice WR core, and give me a seem threat TE too.

Becareful what you wish for. Bowe is very inconsistent. The last few years I have liked what I have seen from him in KC, he just never follows up a solid or decent season by taking that next step. It might be Cassel, as I thought KC might challenge for the AFC WEST this year.

Ross' number one priority should be to let his football staff figure out what the number 1 priority is. Just go get 1-2 good WR's that have good speed and care about running good routes on every play.
And most importantly, aren't diva a-holes and get along with their teammates. Is that too much to ask?

Ironic that you fire off telling Ross that he should let his football staff figure out what the priority should be, then proceed to tell us all what the priority should be. You on his football staff? Emphasis on HIS.

If you were building a house, would you just let the builder pick out everything for you, right down to the light fixtures? Or would you want some input in your house? The Dolphins are his house.

Free agents I would target, other than our own: Mike Wallace WR.....Sam Shields CB (Packers) or Jason McCourty CB (Titans)
Draft:1st...Woerner or Montgomery, DE...Mingo or Jones OLB
2nd rd...Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame....and T.J. McDonlad FS Southern Cal
3rd rd..Shayne Skov.. ILB Stanford....Steadman Bailey WR....
4th...Gabe Jackson OG Missisippi State
5th ...Ryan Swope WR A&M

Like pigs in sh...I´d be

Back
Top Bottom