MERGED: Dolphin's Rumored OffSeason Plan. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Dolphin's Rumored OffSeason Plan.

Well there are several read between the line scenarios here:

1) Philbin and Ireland may not be as attached at the hip as you would expect should the GM get fired.
2) It doesn't sound like Ireland is going to get fired next season.
3) It sounds like Ireland is steered by Ross on some issues but free to address others at his own will (maybe a good or bad thing depending).
4) Philbin had a good idea with letting Hard Knocks in (if it was indeed him). It helped the perception of the team in a lot of ways.

Who knows, the NFL changes so much in a year this article maybe outdated in two weeks.

I guess, or maybe it was coaching? Why would other coaches and GM's bring those guys in if they all sucked so bad? And if they sucked so bad how are they finding ways to remain on NFL teams. And if that's the case the other GM's had the same quantity of players, but more of them are no longer in the league. Now, I would understand that some of those GM's probably have hit on more impact players than Ireland, but still that's impressive.

Yup, point being that Ireland finds more potential NFL caliber players than other GMs. Once the player is found, it's up to coaching to develop that potential. Sporano and Co. failed at that, as did their predecessors. It's looking more and more like we have not had decent player development on this team in a long time. This is a pretty good clue as to why Ross has kept Ireland on, despite his failing over the years to find players the Dolphins can use right away.

a

Thats just people looking to hate on Ross. Everyone knows we don't have a true number 1, that's not a slight on Hartline or Bess. The guy owns the team, he is allowed an opinion- especially when he is talking to his own employees rather than the media.

I'd like to remind everyone that Ross said these things the week after the Jets game. Our WR core is looking much better now. So much better that we may already have our number 2 and 3 WRs (Harline and Bess, respectively). All we may need is a prototypical number 1 WR. At the time Ross made his statement, it was looking like we needed more than what it appears we have now.

The interesting thing was him talking about packaging together picks to acquire one if necessary.

Please reread this part of the article again, ckparrothead.

Joe Philbin might not believe in the concept of an alpha receiver, but his boss still wants one.

That was one of the main takeaways from Miami Dolphins owner Steve Ross’ recent townhall meeting with team employees, according to a source who was in attendance.
Ross, the source said, called the acquisition of a true No. 1 receiver the team’s “top offseason priority.”

Brian Hartline, a prospective free agent who leads the NFL in receiving yardage, is not that type of talent, Ross told Dolphins employees. Nor is Davone Bess.
That’s why the team will do “whatever it takes” to add a frontline pass-catching talent for Ryan Tannehill as he enters his second season in the league. That could include packaging some of the five top-100 selections the Dolphins have stockpiled in the 2013 draft, employees were told.

I see nothing to indicate that Ross said anything about packaging picks. My interpretation of this is that it was speculation by the reporter who wrote the article (Mike Berardino). You have to be careful here because it's all paraphrased and from a secondary source. The reporter is only passing along the jist of Ross' comments per a source in the meeting. As a result, we can't be certain where paraphrasing of Ross' actual comments and speculatioin based on those comments begin and end.

That can be an indication of bad reporting or an attempt to drive an agenda by the reporter.

Last edited by a moderator:
That article makes Ross sound like a real Richard. Sounds like he is dissing the two solid receivers the dolphins already have.

I dont think it sounds anything like that. Everyone on the planet knows we need WR help, and Bess and Hartline know it too.

The lesson Ross should learn from this is he can't trust anyone in the Dolphins organization to not go blabbing away to the media. They should all be happy I'm not the owner cause I would find out who it was and fire them.

As a seasoned builder and owner of billion-dollar corporations, I can't imagine Ross would assume that any employee meeting ends up confidential. dohhhh . . . . :bobdole:

I don't mind Ross speaking his mind. Anyone doing analysis for any rival team already knew our need for multiple starting caliber WR's.

Personally, I hope we draft Justin Hunter in round 1 and in round 2 select Tyler Eifert and Cordarellle Patterson. That's 3 young, large, and fast targets to develop over time. Bring in a veteran like Jennings to teach them and bridge the gap until they are ready. Add that to Hartline and Bess, and we should be set for years to come.

Yes, that's a best case scenario and yes that's a lot of eggs in one basket for draft picks, but good teams build around their strength. That sets us up very well for the future.

As a seasoned builder and owner of billion-dollar corporations, I can't imagine Ross would assume that any employee meeting ends up confidential. dohhhh . . . . :bobdole:
That would depend on whether he stated that he was speaking in confidence to them. If he did then he gave them a level of trust that they clearly are not capable of handling.

I say we bring in Billy Beane.. I just watched MoneyBall again... That dude can figure it out!

Personally I think Hunter is overrated and Cordarelle needs another NCAA season.

Fact is there may not actually BE the type WR out there in this year's draft that Ross is looking for. He wants a Warfield/Jerry Rice/Megatron level guy and there aren't many to be had for ANY price.

gimme Ryan Swope and a great TE.

Wait to see what Gaffney does in this offense. He might surprise. Dont forget matthews and Fuller. They may just be waiting til they get the entire offense and wait their turn.

Everything else will be CB, DE, S, LB and G/T

Everyone is talking WR but completely forget TE. A TE is what will make this team great.

Keenan Allen in the draft. He's going to be outstanding in the NFL

or

Mike Wallace via trade

thanks

gimme Ryan Swope and a great TE.

Wait to see what Gaffney does in this offense. He might surprise. Dont forget matthews and Fuller. They may just be waiting til they get the entire offense and wait their turn.

Everything else will be CB, DE, S, LB and G/T

Everyone is talking WR but completely forget TE. A TE is what will make this team great.

I've been begging for a real TE, since 08. WV likes to down play Tony Gonzo in ATL and his help to Matt Ryan, but I see a consistent seam threat and safety blanket.

Back
Top Bottom