Merged: Got some info on the Ricky Mess...UPDATED. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Got some info on the Ricky Mess...UPDATED.

ChambOfCommerce said:
Uhmmm, he got 186 or so of them on 26 carries the last game. How do you figure he had solid performances in the other 6 he played in?
I still think he can become a solid NFL running back. I'm not changing my opinion on that either.

I'd like to see us get Bennett, and if not maybe O. Smith packaged with a draft pick or 2 for Ogun. That'd be a good deal, Ogun for Smith and a 2nd or 3rd...everybody wins, we get our RB and they get a hot-shot pass rusher to go along with Udeze.

Great post 126. BTW guys - I can vouch for his source (though it's probably unnecessary).

Anyway, I'm not digging the Faulk deal. A few years ago, obviously we'd love it. I mean, Jimmy tried like hell to get him in '99. And he was pissed when he didn't. Anyway, I think he's on the downside. Injury prone and not the back he once was. BUT......he IS misused in St. Louis. And they spent a #1 on Stephen Jackson. So perhaps the Phins are planning on not using Faulk the way they used Ricky...i.e. not giving him 450 touches a year.

As odd as it sounds, I actually was thinking about Justin Fargas on my lunch break. The Raiders' backfield is beyond crowded. And Fargas does have some skills. The only question would be, "Does he have the vision and instincts??"

I really, really like the Vikings RBs. Bennett and Onterrio Smith are the guys I'll take. Moe Wiliams ain't bad. But he's kinda like Jim Kiick in my mind. Solid player, but not Csonka or Morris. Plus he's 30.

That said, I'd rather give up a draft pick than Wale. Maybe I'm being short-sighted. And I know the FO's back is against the wall with a gun to its head. But I really want Wale here.

I agree Muck in that we need Wale here, maybe now more than ever after this mess. We need to keep our defense strong and give Minor a shot I beleive. I may be wrong, but I have always thought Minor was a good back with alot of potential, and I think Henry is as well as far as that goes. The key I beleive is to not just jump for the sake of jumping, need to make sure if we pull the trigger on ANY deal, its a good one and we arent just being held up for a kings ransom because teams know we lost Ricky. Lets give Minor/Henry a shot and if they arent working, maybe then we do something.

minus said:
According to Fat Hank:

Ricky shaved his head because he received a 3 million dollar endorsement deal from GILLETE.
Per Ogunleye (heard it from his mouth) Ricky turned down a $750,000-1,000,000 contract from Gillette to cut his dreads. Then he went and did it on his own.

You forgot somebody on your list!! James. I'm from Indy and I was watching the news and they where just talking about Edgrin expressing intrest in moving to miami. I really think we might be able to get the deal done giving one of our CB or FS up. The colts secondary is really their weak part. They are going to get rid of James before his contract is up at the end of this year because they have to sign Harrison back. I really think we might see the Edge in a dolphins uniform in the next year or 2.

I'd take him over Ricky and day. Marshall Faulk, well good player but how many years does he have left???

I think they can get rid of this face now. :goof:

I'm guessing pretty accurate because he's posted info from this source before and wasn't heckled when he announced he'd post again.

Is anyone thinking?

I am not personally attacking any one individual, but I do have to voice my opinion about the E. James and M. Faulk trade supporters.

Have you people tallied the sheer NUMBER of SURGERIES these 2 guys have had?

Have you counted how many healthy knees are between the 2? Try NONE.

And you are wanting to trade Ogun for this? Is this it, we have trashed our future to get a couple of has beens to sell jerseys as we watch them get tackled from behind?

Survey the landscape... look at the reality.... RBs have short lifespans. Once a major knee injury hits, the back's production drops significantly. Edge went from a feared total back to an average back who's stats are padded by a TREMENDOUS passing game. The defenses he faces now are backed up to stop Peyton. Before his injury, the defenses crept up to stop him. Not anymore. Sure, the stats are there, but read between the lines. See HOW he is getting them.

M. Faulk... this man hasn't played a complete season in how many years. He has now resorted to YEARLY surgeries to clean/scope BOTH knees just to play the next year. There is a REASON Steven Jackson was drafted. Not too mention, the St. Louis offense has slowly shifted to a "pass to setup the run" offense.

Both offenses have shifted to this technique as their backs have become injured and less reliable. It's not a choice... it's a necessity. Feel like putting that kind of pressure on our budding passing game?

And now, let's look at the trade bait.... Adewale Ogunleye and 24.5 sacks in two years. Sure, he was injured in college.... but his YOUNG body has actually developed AFTER his injuries into the player he is now... a PRO BOWLER. Not a PB from 2 years ago or 3 years ago... LAST YEAR.

Personally, I say get young and get good. Or DON'T TRADE OGUN AT ALL.

Let's look at the business side of this too....
M. Faulk - drafted 1994
E. James - drafted 1999
A. Ogunleye - drafted 1999
O. Smith - drafted 2003

It's bad enough RBs have a short life cycle. Why trade a Hummer in for a beatup Chevy?

If we are going to trade Ogun, at least get a HEALTHY kid with NO injury history and begin the rebuild NOW. Don't delay and rebuild AGAIN in 2 years. Just so you can sell a few jerseys.

Above all else, my PERSONAL opinion is:

1st down - L. Henry
2nd down - L. Henry
3rd down - T. Minor (don't move him into a new role... and don't create MORE turmoil with new players in new positions)

AND as an insurance policy, sign the CHEAP and FREE (no compensation) Stacy Mack. He's a proven durable back who can add depth in case Henry doesn't pan out or get's injured.

After all that... sign Ogun AND Chambers to long term. Next, allow the players within the offense to step it up.

The fans of this board are quickly forgetting our records got worse while Ricky was here. I seem to remember to 11 win seasons with LAMAR SMITH. If anything, I see it as a blessing. Wanny will stop focusing on one player and will start to spread it around. We have playmakers. We have stars. Rebuild?

MAYBE. But, I'd like to find 1 other offense rebuilding with 2 stud WRs, a stud TE (with a nice backup) and promising YOUNG lineman to build around.

I think this could be called a RELOAD. It's not like we are going to SUCK people. We still have a top 5 defense and 3 potential Pro Bowlers catching balls. Give it time... give them time. For once, the offense gets to hear plays called that are not named RICKY.

Let the other 10 guys play.... I think we'll surprise most... even ourselves!

NathanHunt said:
I am not personally attacking any one individual, but I do have to voice my opinion about the E. James and M. Faulk trade supporters.

Have you people tallied the sheer NUMBER of SURGERIES these 2 guys have had?

Have you counted how many healthy knees are between the 2? Try NONE.

And you are wanting to trade Ogun for this? Is this it, we have trashed our future to get a couple of has beens to sell jerseys as we watch them get tackled from behind?

Survey the landscape... look at the reality.... RBs have short lifespans. Once a major knee injury hits, the back's production drops significantly. Edge went from a feared total back to an average back who's stats are padded by a TREMENDOUS passing game. The defenses he faces now are backed up to stop Peyton. Before his injury, the defenses crept up to stop him. Not anymore. Sure, the stats are there, but read between the lines. See HOW he is getting them.

M. Faulk... this man hasn't played a complete season in how many years. He has now resorted to YEARLY surgeries to clean/scope BOTH knees just to play the next year. There is a REASON Steven Jackson was drafted. Not too mention, the St. Louis offense has slowly shifted to a "pass to setup the run" offense.

Both offenses have shifted to this technique as their backs have become injured and less reliable. It's not a choice... it's a necessity. Feel like putting that kind of pressure on our budding passing game?

And now, let's look at the trade bait.... Adewale Ogunleye and 24.5 sacks in two years. Sure, he was injured in college.... but his YOUNG body has actually developed AFTER his injuries into the player he is now... a PRO BOWLER. Not a PB from 2 years ago or 3 years ago... LAST YEAR.

Personally, I say get young and get good. Or DON'T TRADE OGUN AT ALL.

Let's look at the business side of this too....
M. Faulk - drafted 1994
E. James - drafted 1999
A. Ogunleye - drafted 1999
O. Smith - drafted 2003

It's bad enough RBs have a short life cycle. Why trade a Hummer in for a beatup Chevy?

If we are going to trade Ogun, at least get a HEALTHY kid with NO injury history and begin the rebuild NOW. Don't delay and rebuild AGAIN in 2 years. Just so you can sell a few jerseys.

Above all else, my PERSONAL opinion is:

1st down - L. Henry
2nd down - L. Henry
3rd down - T. Minor (don't move him into a new role... and don't create MORE turmoil with new players in new positions)

AND as an insurance policy, sign the CHEAP and FREE (no compensation) Stacy Mack. He's a proven durable back who can add depth in case Henry doesn't pan out or get's injured.

After all that... sign Ogun AND Chambers to long term. Next, allow the players within the offense to step it up.

The fans of this board are quickly forgetting our records got worse while Ricky was here. I seem to remember to 11 win seasons with LAMAR SMITH. If anything, I see it as a blessing. Wanny will stop focusing on one player and will start to spread it around. We have playmakers. We have stars. Rebuild?

MAYBE. But, I'd like to find 1 other offense rebuilding with 2 stud WRs, a stud TE (with a nice backup) and promising YOUNG lineman to build around.

I think this could be called a RELOAD. It's not like we are going to SUCK people. We still have a top 5 defense and 3 potential Pro Bowlers catching balls. Give it time... give them time. For once, the offense gets to hear plays called that are not named RICKY.

Let the other 10 guys play.... I think we'll surprise most... even ourselves!

Good post. I was tired of people saying this team was going to suck before ricky quit. I'm really tired of hearing it now. Someone start a list of people saying we're going to stink and put everyones name on it who thinks so. I have a really good feeling that we're looking at a minimum 10 win season still. Hold me to that quote.

What kind of back is Henry by the way? Power, cut back, speed? Im not sure. And i like your thinking. If a running back is even somewhat of a power back or even if he isn't, he's got 8 years tops in the NFL especially when he's getting 300 + carries a season. Running back is the most physically punishing position in any sport. We need younger healthy backs. Not marshall faulk who has 2 downside years left.

minus said:
According to Fat Hank:

Ricky shaved his head because he received a 3 million dollar endorsement deal from GILLETE.

Of which $750,000 was lost because he would not let them film it....

bmark549 said:
What kind of back is Henry by the way? Power, cut back, speed? Im not sure.
Henry is a finesse back. Many people seem to think he's a power back for some odd reason. He's the same size as Minor....not a bruiser by any means.

Back
Top Bottom