MERGED: Jets Release Coles | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Jets Release Coles

There's at least two ways Miami can go with this... try to get Coles signed immediately, or tell him they're interested but wait and see till Friday if they can get anyone better in FA first, then come back to Coles if they can't.

From Coles' perspective, money is money, the Dolphins aren't 1-15 anymore, and there are a lot of friendly faces in Florida for him. Parcells, Pennington, FSU alum, etc. etc.

I wouldn't want to promise him anything for '09, I'd make him earn it every step of the way. But a short to medium range WR who is in the right place at the right time, has decent hands, and has good chemistry with our QB would be worth a nice paycheck. If he gets beat out for a roster spot in TC, it can't be any more embarrassing than the Wilford experiment, and probably has better upside.

The Parcells connection. The Pennington connection. The Dolphins desperate need for a starting caliber WR ... it just makes too much sense. He should take Wilford's spot tommorrow.

That said, it shouldn't prevent the Dolphins from drafting a WR ... but it allows them to take a more developmental player rather than reaching for one high and expecting him to play a significant role right away. Now the Dolphins can focus on NT, OLB and CB and probably a 2nd TE early.

Groh was in charge of our draft in 2000. Parcells only move was the "trade" for belichick. I'm sure he was involed but groh had final say.[/quote]
:lol2: Pass the bong dude!

When Chad signed with the Dolphins, I remember Jeff Ireland saying that the front office was prepared for that situation, because their research showed it was a possibility. You can bet that Parcells and his staff have already discussed Coles as a potential option.

I don't want to jump the gun but could you imagine if we sign Coles and then sign T.J. HZ? I don't know if I'm talking out of my *** right now but just the possibility is making me....

IMO I think he is a good reciever, already has good chemistry with Chad, and seems to find a way to get open a lot. I think he would be a good pickup, he's not going to cost a ton of money. I like the idea of picking up Coles.

i would like very much to have him. wipes the WR concerns completely away for now. he recently turned 31 so he has some good years left in him - not to mention that he loves chad and was very upset about him leaving. i wonder how much he would want.

Newsday considers the possibility of free agent Laveranues Coles returning to the Jets "probably unlikely."
clear.gif
Coles might be targeting Jerry Porter money (six years, $30 million). He won't get a deal like that, but some desperate team figures to overpay. The Browns and old on-again, off-again friend Eric Mangini could quickly join the bidding. They're desperate for an answer opposite Braylon Edwards.
Feb. 25 - 5:29 p.m. ET
clear.gif
Source: New

I'm not worried about other teams necessarily. I think we have an immediate leg up on the competition, just because of Coles' relationship with Pennington.

The ball is going to be in our court to offer a comparable contract.

Parcells did not draft him, Al groh was in charge of our 2000 draft.

Yes he did.

Groh was in charge of our draft in 2000. Parcells only move was the "trade" for belichick. I'm sure he was involed but groh had final say.

Are you kidding me?!?!?!? Groh couldn't order toilet paper for his office without asking Parcells.:crazy:

i would like very much to have him. wipes the WR concerns completely away for now. he recently turned 31 so he has some good years left in him - not to mention that he loves chad and was very upset about him leaving. i wonder how much he would want.

Me too......Coles may have initiated this move believing that he gets his 6 mil from us.

You wouldn't have made the playoffs if not for former Jets(Parcells, Chad).

I don't get the move, I hope he comes back but I think he'll end up down there unfortunately so w/in a year we'll have given you our QB and one of our best WRs.

Well considering the Jets got very little from Penny and Parcells, maybe coming to the Dolphins would be a good thing for Coles, either way, THANK YOU JETS.

LC is guaranteed 6 million this coming season. if we pay him 1 million for next season the jets still have to pay 5 million. great cap management tanny,. ha ha ha

That was the case.

ON FURTHER REVIEW, COLES WALKED AWAY FROM HIS $6 MILLION

Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2009, 5:55 p.m.
OK, now this is getting weird.
Despite a report in the New York Daily News that the guaranteed $6 million in base salary that receiver Laveranues Coles is due to earn from the Jets will be reduced by whatever he earns elsewhere, Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger has clarified for us that Coles has walked away from the guaranteed payment.
So, in other words, Coles gave up $6 million guaranteed in search of even more.
So, in other words, the Jets owe him nothing.
There’s a fine line between bravery and stupidity. As to where Coles falls on this specific issue, we’ll all have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom