Merged: LaVar Arrington threads/Arrington to Giants/Arrington Meeting with Jags | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: LaVar Arrington threads/Arrington to Giants/Arrington Meeting with Jags

phinphan4life said:
Wade Smith is overrated. Travis Minor is overrated. All of our undrafted free agent signings are overrated. Did I miss anyone. :rolleyes2
You missed the fact that LaVar wants a huge contract. No one is saying that he can't make the team. We don't want to break the bank if we do sign him. Not one of those players want a huge contract.

ckparrothead said:
The important thing to note about Ernie Sims is his undersized problems are overblown and if you see him on the field you'll know why. He's 5'11" and 230+ pounds right now...he aims to be 240 pounds.

You want to see a big difference? Stack up a 6'3" 240 pound guy next to a 5'11" 240 pound guy and let me know which you see as being the more explosive powder keg of power. Sims is STOUT. He'll have no trouble being physical with blockers or crunching the crap out of runners...no more than Zach or Tedy Bruschi that's for sure.

The only area he'll have trouble, is in zone coverage I believe that his 5'11" frame will not be as physically imposing on the passing lanes as a 6'3" guy would be. Boomer has an excellent point though, at 5'11" Sims DOES have a 41 inch vertical...so his instincts and his ability to jump after the ball MAY make up for the lack of height. I think Sims would be great at the weak side spot in this D. But, who do you move to strong side? If you get Arrington for that, where do you put Crowder? Even worse, does drafting Sims mean you're finally cutting Zach loose?

man i took that pic from a giants board because they really hope they get ernie sims at #25 and someone played around with it but anyways, ernie sims is a ripped mofo..... :eek:

clear.gif

ckparrothead said:
The important thing to note about Ernie Sims is his undersized problems are overblown and if you see him on the field you'll know why. He's 5'11" and 230+ pounds right now...he aims to be 240 pounds.

You want to see a big difference? Stack up a 6'3" 240 pound guy next to a 5'11" 240 pound guy and let me know which you see as being the more explosive powder keg of power. Sims is STOUT. He'll have no trouble being physical with blockers or crunching the crap out of runners...no more than Zach or Tedy Bruschi that's for sure.

The only area he'll have trouble, is in zone coverage I believe that his 5'11" frame will not be as physically imposing on the passing lanes as a 6'3" guy would be. Boomer has an excellent point though, at 5'11" Sims DOES have a 41 inch vertical...so his instincts and his ability to jump after the ball MAY make up for the lack of height. I think Sims would be great at the weak side spot in this D. But, who do you move to strong side? If you get Arrington for that, where do you put Crowder? Even worse, does drafting Sims mean you're finally cutting Zach loose?

if we ran primary out of a 4-3 I would be very happy with Sims. If we didnt draft Crowder last year I would consider Sims for the MLB slot. But really I dont like him as a strong side OLB. Which is what we need. JT is a weak side OLB in the 3-4 system really. What we need isa player to beat blocks and stuff the run on their side. Rush the QB or else drop into coverage.

Sims would be wonderful in coverage (his best skill) but he would be destroyed inthe 3-4 system tryingto take on the blocks. I would much rather have Carpenter there or McClover in the 3rd. McClover is a tweener with the size and abilities for just what we need. Carpenter is a perfect huge size for what we need.

A trade back and a picking up of Carpenter would be optinum profit for value of the 16th pick if we dont sign lavar.

That said I think Sims will have a good career and become a very good Cover 2 LB. He should be perfect for the Vikings at 17 to take a strong look at.

Lavar is a beast!

If he wants to come here for the money we offer him, I'd love to see it. hes gonna get overpaid. I love what saban is doing.

You don't want championships you want $$$$$? Screw you your a saint?

But to say lavar is overrated.... have you seen the guy play? he had prolbems in washington, I don't see it happeninghere. Too much leadership

I wouldnt mind breaking the bank a little for him but only if he can be more production than hype.

I dont think Arrington sucks, in fact I think he'd be a good addition to the team. But he is nowhere near the stud that people on this board are referring to him as. He is overated, although I agree that he is better than anybody we have at OLB besides Crowder. The only thing is he doesnt deserve the money hes asking for, so it wouldnt be a terrible thing if Jax overpaid for him.

Canadi-Phin said:
Malt Liquor???? What???? At least its better than water in a beer bottle. Canadian beer is the best, and the best of all canadian beer is Alexander Keith's. Us maritimes like to drink the most.

you have probably not had any of many american micro-brews. i would agree that budweiser and other mass produced beers are very watered down. but there is a gigantic micro-brew scene in america where you can get the darkest stouts and porters to the smoothest ales. i personally drink mostly american micro-brew i.p.a. at 6.0 to 7.2 percent alcohol. which is not very watered down. mass produced beer gives me a headache and i have to drink 12 beers to get buzzed.

got one hour buddy. arrington will be in florida next year, just not miami.

finfan32 said:
got one hour buddy. arrington will be in florida next year, just not miami.

Thanks for the update, I think........he won't sign with us???????:confused:

Finsfalife said:
I hope JAx gives him his goddamn money...and he tears his injury prone knee up the first game....go phins
Nice how you can wish someone for a knee injury and say "go phins" all together.

LaVar to Dolphins?

"The Dolphins and the agent for former Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington haven't talked about a contract since Monday, and sticker shock may be the reason."

Does anyone think he will wearing a Phin jersey next year?

icephinfan said:
Thanks for the update, I think........he won't sign with us???????:confused:

Nothing for sure yet but it gets less and less likely every hour that passes. He is scheduled to visit Jacksonville on Saturday and if he likes the offer there he signs. So lets hope he makes a good decision within the next 13 or so hours.

PHANTASTIC 13 said:
Lawrence Taylor freelanced and went to numerous pro bowls...how about Junior Seau, he freelanced as well and will be a shoe in for the Hall of Fame.

My point is....why not let LaVar Arrington freelance as well??? He has all the tools the other two LB's I just mentioned did, let him roam and attack the ball carrier, that is his game. :dolphins: LaVar...come to Miami and help us win a championship. :cooldude:

It depends on the how your defenses are set up.

Regardless, the point wasn't whether he should be allowed to freelance or not. If they feel comfortable enough doing it, fine. My point was that you don't give a guy a contract based on a sack incentive if he freelances against the coaches wishes, which is the reputation that follows him.

Back
Top Bottom