MERGED: Official NHL Thread | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Official NHL Thread

First off, I am so happy that hockey is on again. I am a die-hard red wings fan. They were the very first team of any sport that I ever cheered for; it's pretty much been ingrained in me since I was conceived. I love my dophins, and I love my spartans, but before that ever happened, I loved the wings.

Batman13 said:
First off, I am so happy that hockey is on again. I am a die-hard red wings fan. They were the very first team of any sport that I ever cheered for; it's pretty much been ingrained in me since I was conceived. I love my dophins, and I love my spartans, but before that ever happened, I loved the wings.

i hear ya dude...im the same way with my Rangers

I'm just happy that hope is springing in Pittsburgh again.

Prepare for the Crosby Show! :rockon:

good draft by my Rangers! Staal is a great prospect

trade rumors are flying all over the NHL tho! this week should be fun

Free agency period started 15 minutes ago...should be an interesting couple of days.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Not a huge NHL fan, although I do enjoy watching it when it's on.

Bruins fan here. Jacobs got what he wanted, a lockout and now this team is in arguably the most desirable financial situation in the league. NO MORE excuses Jacobs, go spend some money.

Can't wait to see Bergeron play after his AMAZING rookie season last year.

Been a Bruins fan since birth (had a Bobby Orr doll when I was 2 years old). I've been there during the Cam Neely "we need one more forward but Sinden is too cheap to get one" era.

Jeremy Jacobs is a piece of crap....certified. He will never spend the money it takes to win.

This team is in a never ending rebuilding plan. Look at the losses of Brian Rolston and Glen Murray. Look at the contract they just offered Joe Thornton...THEY OFFERED HIM LESS THEN HE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN BY ACCEPTING THE QUALIFYING OFFER!

Today they made qualifying offers to Thornton and Samsanov (amongst others) but that means nothing.

Joe Thornton is the future of the team. He should have been offered a long term, max out contract. Instead the Bruins try to undercut him. He'll sign a one year deal and bolt as a free agent next year and then the rebuild will continue.

This team was SOOOOOOOO close. They mercifully have a golatender (Andrew Raycroft is the real deal) a great young winger (Patrice Bergeron) and were loaded with young defenseman (Boynton, Gill and Girard).

If Jacobs was willing to spend money this team could have made a good 4-5 year run at the Cup.

Thornton, Samsanov, Bergeron, Murray up front with Gill, Gonchar, Boynton, Girard and Slegr in the back and Raycroft in between the pipes. That team would match up with anyone in the East.

Instead Jacobs will continue to throw nickles around like manhole covers, lose all the young players because when the time comes for them to start earning money Jacobs directs O'Connell to ship them out and then the rebuilding process begins again....

I'm still a Bruins fan...always will be. That being said, until Jacobs dies they will never get anywhere.

THOMAS_54 said:
First off, my team is the Colorado Avalanche. Second off, this is for everyone. Who do you think will be the best overall player avaliable in FA. Right now I'm gonna say Bill Guerin, but a lot still has to happen.

The best free agent available is Peter Forsberg....period, end of discussion.

He's the best player on the planet and with the new "crackdown on obstruction" he will light.......it........up. The hot rumour right now is back to Colorado (at a reduced price) or New York.

The juicy rumour is he and Markus Naslund want to be a package deal. Both of them or neither. That has Vancouver hockey fans doing cartwheels.

The best defensman available is Scott Niedermayer. He's the reigning Norris Trophy winner, still only 32 and is the best puck moving defensman in the game. The rumour is he'll end up in Calgary (close to his home of Cranbrook, B.C.), Aneheim (to play with brother Rob) or Vancouver (if he is willing to play for a reduced "close to home discount").

The best goalie available is Nicky Khabibulin. A smart team would offer him a max out deal.

In the "New NHL" you need to have a GREAT goalie. Not to say that has'nt always been that way but in my opinion in the "New NHL" you need a franchise goalie, 4 great fowards and 2 minute eating defenseman. The rest can be filled with young ascending players or older grinder types. Unless you have a ton of guys willing to play at a discounted price this is the most practical way to build a team.

unifiedtheory said:
This team was SOOOOOOOO close. They mercifully have a golatender (Andrew Raycroft is the real deal) a great young winger (Patrice Bergeron) and were loaded with young defenseman (Boynton, Gill and Girard).

If Jacobs was willing to spend money this team could have made a good 4-5 year run at the Cup.

Thornton, Samsanov, Bergeron, Murray up front with Gill, Gonchar, Boynton, Girard and Slegr in the back and Raycroft in between the pipes. That team would match up with anyone in the East.

Sooo close ?? Soo close to another meltdown you mean.

Had it not been for a weak overtime goal in Game 2 and a bizarre brain cramp by Montreal's Alexei Kovalev in Game 4, the series against the Habs would've ended a lot quickly than in 7 games. The B's were exposed. That series showed Sinden built a team fit for the 80's. Size didn't matter. Speed did.
In the end, all the big names disappeared when it counted. Playoffs is about stepping up. Thornton, Murray and Co. didn't get it done when they had to.

Pink_Dove said:
Sooo close ?? Soo close to another meltdown you mean.

Had it not been for a weak overtime goal in Game 2 and a bizarre brain cramp by Montreal's Alexei Kovalev in Game 4, the series against the Habs would've ended a lot quickly than in 7 games. The B's were exposed. That series showed Sinden built a team fit for the 80's. Size didn't matter. Speed did.
In the end, all the big names disappeared when it counted. Playoffs is about stepping up. Thornton, Murray and Co. didn't get it done when they had to.

Joe Thornton was playing with broken ribs and they had a rookie goaltender. Yah, they got slapped by the Habs...I'll admit that, I'm not dillusional.

What I was attempting to say was when you look at the YOUNG players the team has (Bergeron, Samsanov, Thornton, Boynton, Girard, Raycroft) with a few additions they could have done some good things.

Yes, I agree the team that last appeared was built for the clutch/grab/thug hockey we have been seeing for the last decade. They looked like they were built by Bobby Clarke.

But, take the players I listed (all fast) and add Brian Rolston (who, even at an advanced age will thrive in the new NHL where SPEED will be a premium) and Gonchar (another puck moving, quick defenseman) the Bruins could have been a very good team.

Jacobs, O'Connell and Sinden won't let it happen though...it might cut into the profit margine.

unifiedtheory said:
The best free agent available is Peter Forsberg....period, end of discussion.

He's the best player on the planet and with the new "crackdown on obstruction" he will light.......it........up. The hot rumour right now is back to Colorado (at a reduced price) or New York.

The juicy rumour is he and Markus Naslund want to be a package deal. Both of them or neither. That has Vancouver hockey fans doing cartwheels.

The best defensman available is Scott Niedermayer. He's the reigning Norris Trophy winner, still only 32 and is the best puck moving defensman in the game. The rumour is he'll end up in Calgary (close to his home of Cranbrook, B.C.), Aneheim (to play with brother Rob) or Vancouver (if he is willing to play for a reduced "close to home discount").

There was an article in today's Star-Ledger that Nieds will go wherever is best for his kids. He said his kids love Jersey because it's where their friends are and where they go to school. Nieds also made a comment last week about being a Devil his whole career. The more Nieds talks, the more cautiously optimisitc I get that he's staying with us (knock on wood).

Batman13 said:

Same with me and the Devils bro. Devils fan for 20 years- since I was 6 years old. My first game was in 1985- a 4-2 loss to the Rangers.:mad: The Devils were the first team I ever cheered for and I am proud to be a member of the first generation of true Devils fans- that is the group that has cheered for no other NHL team in my life besides the Devils. A lot of the older Devils fans (my mom included) switched to the Devils when they came to Jersey- most of them were Ranger or Islander fans because the Devils didn't move here until 1982. The Devils are in my DNA. As much as I want my kids to be Dolphins fans- and will do everything possible to encourage them to be Dolphins fans- my kids will not have a choice on the Devils. They WILL be Devils fans. You're born into New Jersey Devils hockey when you're born into my family.

FireWrongstedt said:
Same with me and the Devils bro. Devils fan for 20 years- since I was 6 years old. My first game was in 1985- a 4-2 loss to the Rangers.:mad: The Devils were the first team I ever cheered for and I am proud to be a member of the first generation of true Devils fans- that is the group that has cheered for no other NHL team in my life besides the Devils. A lot of the older Devils fans (my mom included) switched to the Devils when they came to Jersey- most of them were Ranger or Islander fans because the Devils didn't move here until 1982. The Devils are in my DNA. As much as I want my kids to be Dolphins fans- and will do everything possible to encourage them to be Dolphins fans- my kids will not have a choice on the Devils. They WILL be Devils fans. You're born into New Jersey Devils hockey when you're born into my family.

haha my father and uncle are Devils fans...and im a Rangers fan...made for some great fights

Back
Top Bottom