Merged: The John Beck Value Thread | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The John Beck Value Thread

What is John Beck's trade value?

• 1st rounder

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • 2nd rounder

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • 3rd rounder

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 4th rounder

Votes: 54 19.8%
  • 5th rounder

Votes: 62 22.7%
  • 6th rounder

Votes: 63 23.1%
  • 7th rounder

Votes: 35 12.8%
  • no trade value at all

Votes: 22 8.1%

• Total voters
I answered your question, but I'll answer it again. Beck has played in 5 games as a Pro, Austin has played in 37 games. Beck's 5 games were on a team with a 1-15 record, Austins games were on a team that could win 13 games a season. Austin was in a much, much better situation in Dallas. He had players like Terrell Owens, Marion Barber, Jason Whitten and not to mention Tony Romo to help that team, who did Beck have?

This is an unrealistic argument... Team sports is and will always be what have you done for me lately..., lately Beck is riding the pine..., get over 2007 -2008 and move on..., if he is as good as you say he is he''ll supplant himself in front of Henne during Spring training...

This is an unrealistic argument... Team sports is and will always be what have you done for me lately..., lately Beck is riding the pine..., get over 2007 -2008 and move on..., if he is as good as you say he is he''ll supplant himself in front of Henne during Spring training...

So according to you, backups have no value...genius!:rolleyes2:

BTW, look at Miles Austins numbers, if your argument is "what have you done for me lately" what has Austin Done?

BTW, look at Miles Austins numbers, if your argument is "what have you done for me lately" what has Austin Done?

It's not easy to get on the field in Dallas....and if you do Romo has TO and Witten out there with you. Ask Fasano why he couldn't get any balls thrown his way.

By contrast, Beck merely had to outplay Cleo Lemon. Unfortunately, Lemon was the better player.

You also have to remember Austin was an undrafted FA....you know a project. Beck was a suppossed mature 2nd rounder. Hoping your second round QB can outplay Cleo is not asking for the world.

What's unrealistic is suggesting that every "pro" has all this talent surrounding him..., some people play through it and it defines their legacy..., just sell the JB jersey on Ebay and get over it already...

It amazes me this thread still is going on, especially when there's really only one person trying oh so hard to defend Beck. The guy that's so good that he got beat out by a rookie, but that's everybody else's fault not his!

What's unrealistic is suggesting that every "pro" has all this talent surrounding him..., some people play through it and it defines their legacy..., just sell the JB jersey on Ebay and get over it already...

Really? So you're saying many other QB's in the NFL wopuld have been successful their rookie seasons under the same circumstances as Beck in 07. Dream on!

It's not easy to get on the field in Dallas....and if you do Romo has TO and Witten out there with you. Ask Fasano why he couldn't get any balls thrown his way.

By contrast, Beck merely had to outplay Cleo Lemon. Unfortunately, Lemon was the better player.

You also have to remember Austin was an undrafted FA....you know a project. Beck was a suppossed mature 2nd rounder. Hoping your second round QB can outplay Cleo is not asking for the world.

Austin has played in 37 NFL games, thats more than 2 years of playing games and he has less than 500. yards catching and more fumbles, than TDs. He's obviously seeing the field if he's played in 37 games in just three seasons as a pro.

It amazes me this thread still is going on, especially when there's really only one person trying oh so hard to defend Beck. The guy that's so good that he got beat out by a rookie, but that's everybody else's fault not his!

Read my posts, I'm not defneding Beck, I'm defending the idiotic notion that a player can be judged on just 5 games played in the NFL. Also, I'm not the only one speaking on a subject that isn't an "oh so" ridiculous Beck hater.

I would say John Beck's trade value today is about the same as Matt Cassel's was one year ago.

Austin has played in 37 NFL games, thats more than 2 years of playing games and he has less than 500. yards catching and more fumbles, than TDs. He's obviously seeing the field if he's played in 37 games in just three seasons as a pro.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=B8C14694-972A-BB1E-4911D26C7BB8B451

While he was a prolific pass catcher at Monmouth, Austin found the jump to the NFL to be too big to contribute immediately on offense. Instead, he took over kickoff return duties midway through the 2006 season, averaging 26 yards a return and returning a kickoff for a touchdown in the Cowboys' playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Austin continued in that role last season with a 25.5 yards-per-return average, but still received few offensive snaps playing behind starters Terrell Owens and Patrick Crayton, with Sam Hurd coming in on three-receiver sets.

But now Austin feels he's ready to catch passes rather than kickoffs.
"I want to help us out on special teams as much as I can, but now I want to start making plays on offense, and doing what I can to help the team out and getting some W's," Austin said.
Just looking at Austin on the field now compared to last year reveals a noticeable difference. He's bigger, up to 216 pounds, and his routes are a lot crisper. Plus, he's dropping significantly fewer passes than in the past two years, a flaw that plagued him the one time he got extended playing time against Washington in the 2007 season finale.

Last season, Austin had a firm hold on the fourth receiver spot, but with his kickoff return role possibly being taken over by the club's first round draft pick, Felix Jones, he'll need to challenge for Hurd's third spot in order to get more playing time. Phillips has said Austin and Hurd are virtually tied for that spot, but Austin doesn't view it that way. That doesn't mean he feels he's better than Hurd - it's just not a man-to-man competition, literally.

Well Im pretty sure the value they want is somewhere around a 4th or a 5th. Thats pretty realistic. I personally would rather keep him than trade him for a low pick. Pennington could go down and then we have a qb with experience with this team as the backup. What really hurt Beck's value is his lack of snaps in preseason. 11 passes is very low even for a third stringer.
I agree with you. Keep him. We don't know if CH can handle it or not if Cp goes down. I also don't think Beck stand a chance anyway, but we'll have to wait and see.

In 2008 JB was given a fresh start new coaching and was non-active the better part of the season...

So was Henne, you have no idea what the coaches are thinking and why. You don't know if Beck would have started last year had we not signed Pennington. You have no idea if Henne would have started strong and then ended playing poorly, or If Beck would have started and played well, you don't know cause, A) You're not on the coaching staff and B) You don't have a crystal ball. None of us know what the furtre holds for Beck, Henne or Pennington. We all just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom