Michael Egnew... | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Egnew...

The difference between Sean Smith and the names of some of the cornerbacks mentioned here that can't tackle is that they cause turnovers. You can't be a good defense if you don't cause turnovers, it doesn't matter what your unit is "ranked".

If you understand how to break down a defensive back, and really study Sean Smith, you won't like what you see. At all. You don't even have to select plays where he was thrown at, just pick random plays and pay attention to his technique. It's absolutely terrible a lot of times.

Just take the play where Cam Newton completed that 25 yard pass to Brandon Lafell with 9:34 left in the 1st quarter. Sean Smith playing man technique, immediately takes a false step at the snap with the wrong foot, stands straight up in his backpedal, and gives the receiver the easiest...cleanest inside release to the seem that you'll ever see.

Just take random plays like this one and study Smith's technique over and over. I've done it since he's been here.... and what I'm about to say is not an exaggeration. I have no idea how he's a starting cornerback in the NFL. None. It's as baffling as anything I've run across.

That was actually Richard Marshall who gave the easiest release of all time to LaFell, not Smith.

Like Antonio Gates who got cut his first camp? Just sayin'...not everyone bursts on to the scene. Two preseason games and he's having people casting lots for his clothing....wow.....

Egnew is not Gates unfortunately. Gates got cut because he was so raw, fixed it, and became a star rather fast. Egnew is coming with more experience and as a 3rd round pick has no excuse to be this bad.

We can look at it 2 ways,
1- quoting Terrell Owens if he walks like a scrub talks like a scrub he is a scrub or
2-we can be like 80 percent of ppl on this board(blind homers) and say omg eggnog is the greatest prospect since Keith Jackson.

Dude, relax.

No one is saying Egnew is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just rational conversation that he should not be labeled a bust after 2 pre-season games and a good HBO Hard Knocks clip of a rookie being chewed out with a "Welcome to the NFL, this is a business" speech.

Just like in politics and reality TV, show producers will clip sections and edit tape in order to portray their own story. For all we know Sherms could of said "If I was a GM I would cut you, I would cut you right now (end clip)......you are better than that, we believe in everyone here, step it up."

I think someone has the Debbie Downer of the year award pretty much wrapped up.

image-2.png

Egnew is not Gates unfortunately. Gates got cut because he was so raw, fixed it, and became a star rather fast. Egnew is coming with more experience and as a 3rd round pick has no excuse to be this bad.

But how much footage of him have you seen to know just how bad he's been?

Does he even deserve to make it to the practice squad? This guy sucks! His strength is suppose to be a pass catching TE and he can't even seem to do that, let alone block. He was a 3rd round pick...do we cut a 3rd round pick???

Did Miami cut Patrick Turner?

I disagree on Sean Smith. And evidently Kevin Coyle, Lou Anarumo, Todd Bowles, Mike Nolan and Blue Adams all disagree as well. But to each their own. I personally have never had a problem disagreeing with coaches. I don't expect you to have a problem disagreeing with coaches. What I do have a problem is the vanity involved in not allowing for respectful disagreement about players even in cases where a plurality of coaches so clearly disagree with your position. I never said that Sean Smith was a Pro Bowler. I said he was a starter and that any given year he could outperform Vontae Davis because of Vontae's inconsistency. I think I have been right on the money about that. If you don't think so, that's fine.

As for Michael Egnew, again I never graded him as a Pro Bowl player. I said he's probably another Jermaine Gresham, whom I don't consider to be a Pro Bowl worthy player and whom I did not deem to be worthy of a 1st round draft pick at the time he was drafted. Under different circumstances, I might have been deemed a Michael Egnew "hater" rather than a Michael Egnew "fan". I think he was a worthwhile 3rd round gamble, and I had him around the 3rd best tight end in a class that had only one elite prospect. We will see whether I was correct or not. But I sure as hell know it's flat out ridiculous to be raising victory flags and accusing people of never admitting they're wrong just because they have yet to change their mind about a prospect they liked after two preseason games. That is the height of absurdity.

Well said good sir...

3rd round picks shouldn't be projects.

Oh? So who does one draft in the 3rd round? Depth, when there's a potential future starter on the board who may only need professional development? I don't think so. One can get depth in free agency for fairly cheap, or later rounds if necessary.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

We got TWO 3rd round picks for BM.

Some of these posts are comical. Egnew, like Gates, needs time. If Egnew caught more balls like he did last week, people would love him. He drops a ball or two- now he sucks. This is a symptom of fan desperation for players to step up- in some ways understandable but hardly rational. I don't think that Egnew and Gates are going anywhere, they'll be on the roster imo. I think that Hogan has a very good chance of making the final 53. I'd stick with Jeff Fuller over Roberto Wallace. I think that the WR crew has been exposed, and I laugh at some of the posters who claimed that Chad Johnson couldn't play- he was the best that we had. Him being a pain in the a** with a pain in the a** wife is another matter. Rishard Mathews should stick, and I would have no problem with keeping Les Brown on the final 53 to avoid him getting poached. We need play makers, he can be one, and we should groom him imo, and give him some time to improve his blocking. Egnew- get real, the guy needs time but he isn't going anywhere. The one positive that resonates with me is Hogan, the suddenness out of his breaks, his separation ability. With Naane and Fuller as 6-4 receivers, Wallace is expendable, Hogan and Pruitt get the nod imo, Matthews as well. Bess is what he is- average. And Hartline, for all I care, can get stashed on the PUP while he milks this calf strain. Fine with me, more time for the younger guys to show what they can do. THis is arguably the worst WR crew in the league, I'd rather roll the bones on the younger guys, although I would have kept CJ, for the simple reason that he was the best WR on the team.

:brewskis: Well said and I agree except I think Hartline could be special in this offense. He didn't thrive under Sporano, but I think he did as good as any number 2 could. I still think Hartline is a number 2, and Bess a 3 (and already a top 5 NFL 3). That leaves us a number 1 to discover from this group.

I dont say we cut him yet, he is getting open. He just has no ability whatsoever when it comes to adjusting to balls in the air. If its not delivered with a bow, he cant seem to reel it in. We need to give him this year at least. If he still cant catch a cold next year, after some serious coach up, then I might rethink my position.

Back
Top Bottom