Michael Egnew... | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Egnew...

So did every team twice.

**** happens, it's easy to look back and say"WOW this guys is good now, man how dare we pass him"

I know JCane and I both knew Graham was going to be a stud going into the NFL. This was pre draft.

You are kidding right? I'm not going back to watch Ep2, but there was more than one yell of exasperation Egnew's way and you can be sure by the tone of the "God DAMMIT, Egnew" or whatever one of them was that it's more than the playbook.

Why did Campbell have to give him the little pep talk during the game anyway? Because, clearly then guys head was down after a very lacklustre performance so far in the game. He had to be encouraged out of his slump, rather than be self motivated to do it.

By all means defend the guy. I still have hope he can get his head into it. But you don't threaten to cut a guy and have to baby him subsequently unless there's an issue.

How is he being "babied" in any way whatsoever?

Listen. I'm not trying to bust your balls but you came on and claimed that the guy responds poorly when the chips are down. Is it wrong to want to know some examples of that, since you're making the claim? Is it wrong to want to know what that claim is based on?

Because we have two STUNNINGLY obvious examples just from within the Carolina Panthers game of him responding to adversity. One, he drops that easy pass up the seam. Obviously frustrating, obviously a bad play. He's pounding his fist on the turf after the play, obviously very upset with himself. What happens the next time his number is called? He makes a good catch on a ball that was thrown at his knees.

Two, he gets lax on a play and fails to block for a receiver after he caught the ball. It's an old habit that is going to die hard because he played basically a wide receiver position at Missouri and Missouri receivers do this all the time. Dan Campbell tears him a new one about it on the sidelines, and what happens? He goes out there and kills a guy straight to the turf on a similar play.

Twice he responded to an adverse development, two examples of him responding to a mistake. And you can't find me one example of what you're talking about where he responded to the challenge poorly by going even more in the tank.

he blindsided a db and hit him chest high putting him on his rear...big deal...

he blindsided a db and hit him chest high putting him on his rear...big deal...

axe to grind with Egnew? your awfully set in your opinion of him, he cant improve huh

axe to grind with Egnew? your awfully set in your opinion of him, he cant improve huh

no secret i'm not a fan...never have been...but i don't think improved play is actually making a block blindsiding a db you outweigh by 50 lbs probably cause a coach gets on you for effort...the effort should be there either way...improved play is not getting rag dolled in blocking drills catching the ball when it comes your way and actually getting open against man coverage...the former and the latter of which i have yet to see pretty much against even opposition camp fodder

I don't like the look on his face when he is being chewed out. If he had a tail, it would be between his legs.

His coach is just happy that he's showing some life when he doesn't have the ball in his hand.

well it's sad to me that a coach has to be happy for a real effort...should be a given...like sherman said there is no full rides in pro football...you got to earn it

Was listening to Ben Volin on Joe Rose show and he said Egnew is stiff to which Joe Rose replied that can't be corrected. I was willing to give this kid some time, I figured he was going to be a project coming from the system he was in at Missouri but he may end up like all the other TEs from Missouri...

there's another part to this also...the oc is calling you terrible and i'd cut you your position coach is cussing you out pretty much why in gods name are you not giving max effort to the whistle every play??? i mean do you want to be out of the league...pro football doesn't wait long...talent can only get you so far not that this kid has elite talent anyways...his effort should be there above all else...

he plays a bad position to be timid in i can tell ya that...i understand you played a finesse soft game in college hell i called him out for it reviewing his missouri stuff but you're in the big leagues now...step up or step out...i still can't fathom why they ever thought this kid would block in line though or separate down the field in coverage...and how they didn't view that conference and offense as doing him a major favor as a player and production wise...

I think that many people seem to be over-reacting to Egnew's mistakes and his facial expressions when receiving an ass chewing. Clearly not a good start but hopefully he learns from his mistakes. He's 6'5" and can catch the ball, let's hope he gets the opportunity to show his catching skills in the 2 remaining preseason games and build some confidence. For those who say he was a bad draft pick and should be chopped, I suggest that you chill out. We need another TE with his size as a red zone threat. Hopefully he has the capacity to learn.

I don't like the look on his face when he is being chewed out. If he had a tail, it would be between his legs.

^^This. His body language and facial expressions look like he has given up mentally. I believe that he has the physical tools to be successful but he looks like he is beaten. If he wants to make it he is going to have to develop a mean streak. Forget hanging your head and pouting after a bad play. Get mad and go knock the snot out of someone.

Does he even deserve to make it to the practice squad? This guy sucks! His strength is suppose to be a pass catching TE and he can't even seem to do that, let alone block. He was a 3rd round pick...do we cut a 3rd round pick???

imo he looked lost when the coaches was talking to him on the sideline , just didnt see where they were coming from ,well thats what he remine me of the coaches were chewing him up and spitting him out and he looked dazed i dont think he will cut it in te NFL ,atleast a couple years to try and teach ,hes going to need every bit of 2 years and then he might not cut it.

How is he being "babied" in any way whatsoever?

Listen. I'm not trying to bust your balls but you came on and claimed that the guy responds poorly when the chips are down. Is it wrong to want to know some examples of that, since you're making the claim? Is it wrong to want to know what that claim is based on?

Because we have two STUNNINGLY obvious examples just from within the Carolina Panthers game of him responding to adversity. One, he drops that easy pass up the seam. Obviously frustrating, obviously a bad play. He's pounding his fist on the turf after the play, obviously very upset with himself. What happens the next time his number is called? He makes a good catch on a ball that was thrown at his knees.

Two, he gets lax on a play and fails to block for a receiver after he caught the ball. It's an old habit that is going to die hard because he played basically a wide receiver position at Missouri and Missouri receivers do this all the time. Dan Campbell tears him a new one about it on the sidelines, and what happens? He goes out there and kills a guy straight to the turf on a similar play.

Twice he responded to an adverse development, two examples of him responding to a mistake. And you can't find me one example of what you're talking about where he responded to the challenge poorly by going even more in the tank.

You want an example? See my previous post. The guy got his face rubbed in his own performances in front of MILLIONS of people and instead of tearing it up against Carolina (the way Clay responded) he had dropped catches, made no impression and was eventually encouraged to go out and make, wait for it, one block.

I like him, I always said he could block, if you want to go back and read my posts around draft time, but I think he is not responding to the sharp critical focus he faces very well. It could be that he's used to being the stud and needs time to adjust to having to work his ass off for a living. I hope so.

I hope he somehow gets it together and becomes a great TE for us, but I didn't see it pre-draft and I don't see it now. Everyone cross your fingers and hope he makes it through. We can't have any more wasted high draft picks.

also, I want to know - who wanted to draft this guy? Was this Jeff Ireland's call or did Philbin tell him to draft this partciular TE Egnew? anyone know? Cause Egnew had "THIS IS A TERRIBLE REACH IN THE 3rd round" written all over him......... just curious who F'd up.

Back
Top Bottom