Michael Vick....the most overrated QB of all time | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Vick....the most overrated QB of all time

As for his play, if Vick is really this great, under-appreciated El Greco of quarterbacks because of the Falcons' win-loss record, then what do you think of Jay Fiedler? Or is win-loss the only variable when it is convenient?

don't compare vick's situation with fiedler's ... just look at the defence the fins had, plus ricky williams... not even comparable

I'm not judging his reasons why he did it....because it doesn't really matter....the fact that he did it with so much to lose and so little to gain is the part that will never make sense....no matter what he says....

Big Ben broke a contractual agreement....he didn't commit a felony in the process....but you did bring up an interesting point...

Other than the breech of contract...and the felony....Vick's gambling associated with the dogfighting ring is what's subject to get him banned for life from the league....not so much the felony....it's the conspiracy behind it....which lends itself to the judgement that he knew exactly what he was doing....

I'm not sure the league can afford to isolate itself from "pet lovers" by letting Vick in again...much less the fans of whatever team he would go to....

Personally...I couldn't care less if they let him play again or not...doesn't matter to me one way or the other....

No I don't live near Miami...I live about 3 hours from Atlanta in north/central Alabama....

The Colts defense was completely different in the playoffs....but that doesn't change the fact that they were dead last in the league against the run the entire season.....if it wasn't for Peyton Manning they wouldn't have been in the playoffs to begin with....

Also...Peyton Manning set an NFL RECORD in 2006 year on his way to leading them to the superbowl by converting 56.1% of 3rd down plays....keeping that defense off the field as much as possible...

Since the Colts drafted Manning, they've been the best team in the league on 3rd AND 4th down conversions....

You sound like you want him to give his ring back or something...lol...

If he does.....Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson should follow suit....

It doesn't matter what they did in the reg season, they played great in postseason and carried Peyton to a title. We know Peyton is great in the reg season so that has never been an issue. His issue has been January and outside of one half against NE he was not good in the '06 playoffs and had he not been so awful in the first half against NE he wouldn't have needed to have a great 2nd half.

Dilfer threw as many TDs as Manning in his SB run except he threw SIX less INTs.

Johnson threw 2 more INTs in his SB run(palying one less game) and 4 less INTs.

No he doesn't have to give his ring back but people have always found excuses for peyton whether it's the D, the OL, the K,... and the real reason they haven't had much postseason success is b/c of Peyton.

As for his play, if Vick is really this great, under-appreciated El Greco of quarterbacks because of the Falcons' win-loss record, then what do you think of Jay Fiedler? Or is win-loss the only variable when it is convenient?

Vick is better than Fiedler was but Fiedler was very under appreciated by Miami fans. You guys were spoiled having one of the best QBs of all time run your O for so long. I would hope seeing what Miami has had at QB in btw Fiedler and Chad that Miami fans would appreciate Fiedler a little more now.

Whoever feels that Vick is great because the Falcons' record, yet won't apply this to Indianapolis/Manning or Miami/Fiedler.

Manning is supposed to be a top 5 all time type of guy, he's had SB caliber teams around him most of his career. You can't compare his situation to the other guys, he's held to a different standard.

Vick led his team to a title game and had a road playoff win in lambeau, Fiedler won alot in Miami but those teams always struggled in postseason.

It doesn't matter what they did in the reg season, they played great in postseason and carried Peyton to a title. We know Peyton is great in the reg season so that has never been an issue. His issue has been January and outside of one half against NE he was not good in the '06 playoffs and had he not been so awful in the first half against NE he wouldn't have needed to have a great 2nd half.

Dilfer threw as many TDs as Manning in his SB run except he threw SIX less INTs.

No he doesn't have to give his ring back but people have always found excuses for peyton whether it's the D, the OL, the K,... and the real reason they haven't had much postseason success is b/c of Peyton.

Vick is better than Fiedler was but Fiedler was very under appreciated by Miami fans. You guys were spoiled having one of the best QBs of all time run your O for so long. I would hope seeing what Miami has had at QB in btw Fiedler and Chad that Miami fans would appreciate Fiedler a little more now.

Manning is supposed to be a top 5 all time type of guy, he's had SB caliber teams around him most of his career. You can't compare his situation to the other guys, he's held to a different standard.

Vick led his team to a title game and had a road playoff win in lambeau, Fiedler won alot in Miami but those teams always struggled in postseason.

i totally agree with that... i started being a fin fan in 2000, so i never even did saw marino play, and while i didn't think we had the best quarterback in the league, i certainly didn't think we had one of the worst

Vick was an UNDERRATED QB, all he did was win w/ Atlanta. Stats can be overrated, stats are why Peyton Manning is vastly overrated. Vick was obviously not a classic QB but he made plays and his teams won alot more than they lost.

I agree with this. I'm not one of those guys who rips Vick for being "over rated", because when you watched the guy play he often times was unstoppable. Yeah he wasn't a pure pocket passer with laser accuracy and football smarts that rivaled Joe Montana. He was somewhat reckless, but he could play. The guy wasn't over rated at all.

Vick was an UNDERRATED QB, all he did was win w/ Atlanta. Stats can be overrated, stats are why Peyton Manning is vastly overrated. Vick was obviously not a classic QB but he made plays and his teams won alot more than they lost.

All he did was win?

Why didnt he make it to the playoffs more?

Matt Ryan (a rookie) made it this year with the same group of WR's

IMO I think Vick was a little too ****y....He thought he could carry the team with his legs....3rd and long...Vick was going to run no doubt, Vick doesnt have much confidence throwing the football. Teams started catching on (Example: The Eagles shut Vick down in the NFC title game a few years back)

Vick was a one man team, and a one man show can only take you so far. He just wasnt a good enough QB to throw the ball to his WR's....period...if he was he would have done it.

Ive always got this sence that Michael Vick was a bit of a twat....Vick would never stay in the pocket and throw the ball....It seemed as if he was scared to take a hit. It takes more of a man to stay in the pocket, throw the ball, and take a shot, than to run 5 yards and go out of bounds.

Yes Michael Vick won a few games... but hey, so did Jay Fiedler and so does Jake Delhomme and Kyle Orton has won quite a few games as a starter. and none of those guys get no where near the same rep like Michael Vick.

Vick is a great Athlete...but as a QB he was vastly overrated...never been to the superbowl...only has won a couple playoff games...has a 75.1 Career rating. Why was he gettin paid such a **** load of money?

All he did was win?

Why didnt he make it to the playoffs more?

Matt Ryan (a rookie) made it this year with the same group of WR's

IMO I think Vick was a little too ****y....He thought he could carry the team with his legs....3rd and long...Vick was going to run no doubt, Vick doesnt have much confidence throwing the football. Teams started catching on (Example: The Eagles shut Vick down in the NFC title game a few years back)

Vick was a one man team, and a one man show can only take you so far. He just wasnt a good enough QB to throw the ball to his WR's....period...if he was he would have done it.

Ive always got this sence that Michael Vick was a bit of a twat....Vick would never stay in the pocket and throw the ball....It seemed as if he was scared to take a hit. It takes more of a man to stay in the pocket, throw the ball, and take a shot, than to run 5 yards and go out of bounds.

Yes Michael Vick won a few games... but hey, so did Jay Fiedler and so does Jake Delhomme and Kyle Orton has won quite a few games as a starter. and none of those guys get no where near the same rep like Michael Vick.

Vick is a great Athlete...but as a QB he was vastly overrated...never been to the superbowl...only has won a couple playoff games...has a 75.1 Career rating. Why was he gettin paid such a **** load of money?

Vick was the fulltime starter in '02, '04-'06. They made the postseason 2 of those 4 years, they were 5-11 when he was hurt in '03 and 4-12 the year after Vick was suspended. Atlantan also won playoff games in both of the years, their only playoff wins this decade.

Manning has been to only one b/c he often finds himself choking come January.

Had Atlanta kept building around him I think he could have been good enough to win a title but putting that he was much better than people give him credit for b/c he won alot of games for Atlanta including the first ever road team to win at lambeau in postseason and leading his team to an NFC Title Game.

Then and certainly now I'd choose Manning over Vick any day that ends in 'day'.

Then and certainly now I'd choose Manning over Vick any day that ends in 'day'.

That's not what we have been discussing, Manning is better but he's overrated b/c people believe he's a)better than Brady when he's not clsoe and/or b)a top 5-10 all time when he's not close while they also believe Vick is overrated b/c of meaningless fantasy #s.

That's not what we have been discussing, Manning is better but he's overrated b/c people believe he's a)better than Brady when he's not clsoe and/or b)a top 5-10 all time when he's not close while they also believe Vick is overrated b/c of meaningless fantasy #s.

he might crack my 10th or 9th spot...

but all in all i agree that manning is not as good as advertised. even though he's a solid player, he's just not that legendary player people think he is

:lol2: I think your the only person who thinks Peyton Manning is overrated...Im going to take that as a joke

All I know is ....

Peyton Manning = Superbowl MVP, hes on pace to break every QB record

Michael Vick = has won a few regular season games...big deal so has Jay Fiedler, Jake Delhomme and Kyle Orton

michael vick is definitely an overrated quarterback.

BUT.

he's, imo, the most exciting football player i've ever seen play the game. Some might argue that he cracks their top 5 or top 10, but all in all michael vick was an entertainer, a seat filler, a primetime show.
And in a professional sport, it don't get no better than this. Arthur blank didn't give squat about a championship when he had vick obviously because he gave him like a 10 year extension, the point in pro football is to make money and michael vick was the ideal guy to do that in the nfl. You can ask him to win games, gain yardage and crack the sportscenter highlights every week, but winning a superbowl ? i don't think so. But he will be watched because of the afored mentionned reasons and arthur blank made big money with vick

anyways... i really wish he comes back to the nfl, he's fun to watch play, and i believe in second chances (no matter how popular or well paid you are or how dumb you've been)

The most exciting football player you have ever seen you must have never seen Barry Sanders play.

Manning really is one of the most over rated Quarterbacks of all-time. People get all caught up in the stats, but they fail to realize this guy has seldom WON a game for his team. Time and time again he CHOKES in the playoffs. We're not talking about some tragic hero of a QB who does everything he can but just doesn't get the help he needs to win, Peyton Manning in crunch time reverts to this abysmal QB who's skills completely disappear. He throws horrible passes, takes ridiculous sacks, and then cries about ticky tack penalties or poor blocking on the o-line. I don't care if he finishes with 70,000 yards passing and 500 TD's he's still not half the QB that Montana or Brady were/are.

Under appreciated? Fiedler was the reason we didn't invest in a young QB (like Brees who we could of had) to groom into a consistent quality starter. We're still suffering from that. Sure, there were games when Fiedler was on the mark. But he was not reliable. He was the Gary Busey of QB's and only a Jets fan would yearn for the days of the Fiedler Era. The Monday Night Meltdown would not have been possible withoput Fiedler and his partner.

And Fiedler also won playoff games, but nice way to skirt that.

My point is that judging a player by his team's W-L is faulty. It just shows how a team does against it's opponents. A QB could have pluperfect one game and his team loses or he could perform like crap yet his team pulls off a win. That said, I'd more rather have Vick (back in his prime) over Fiedler but maybe you can see my point now.

Back
Top Bottom