More analysis that Matt Ryan, not Jake Long, should’ve been the pick in 2008 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More analysis that Matt Ryan, not Jake Long, should’ve been the pick in 2008

Good grief, just let it freaking go. My God, some people on here. Jake Long has played very well, that is a fact! With the challenges we have had as a team across the board for some of these people on here who just plug in Matt Ryan and think we have the same success as the Falcons have had obviously no very little about the game of football. It has been 4 freaking years, let it the f go and move on......PLEASE!

Going once.... going twice.... gone.

Let's move to the next point of contention, that Matt Ryan wasn't worth the #1 overall pick. Let's get this straight.... a quarterback who was ready start in the NFL right out of the box as a rookie and lead a 4-12 team to the playoffs wasn't worth the #1 overall pick?

A quarterback who has completed nearly 61% of his passes, thrown for 14,000+ yards and 95 TD's in his first 4 years, with a career QB rating of 88.4 wasn't worth the #1 overall pick? A quarterback who's had 2 pro-bowl caliber seasons in his first 4 years wasn't worth the #1 overall pick? The QB who's led his team to the playoffs 3 out of his 4 years wasn't worth the #1 overall pick?

The quarterback with the highest winning percentage (.694) among all active QB's outside the top 50 in terms of all-time regular season wins in NFL history wasn't worth the #1 overall pick? To a team that didn't have a QB to begin with?

The quarterback who was only the 2nd QB in NFL history to start from day 1 and throw for 3,000+ yards as a rookie wasn't worth the #1 overall pick?

The Falcons never had back-to-back winning seasons in their organization's history. They've never had a losing season since Matt Ryan arrived... he's never won less than 9 games.

Matt Ryan is the only rookie quarterback since the merger in 1970 to start and make the playoffs with a rookie head coach. This QB wasn't worth the #1 overall pick?

Would everyone agree that Ozzie Newsome is one of the top General Managers and personnel executives in the NFL? Would you agree that he knows what he's doing to some extent?

After Miami went ahead and signed Jake Long as the #1 overall pick prior to the draft, Ozzie Newsome tried to trade up to the #2 overall pick (St. Louis Rams) to draft Matt Ryan at #2 overall. He offered Baltimore's 1st, 2nd, 4th rounders in 2008, and 3rd round pick in 2009 to trade up in order to take a quarterback that wasn't worth the #1 overall pick.

The Rams denied the trade.

Going once...

Last I looked John Harbaugh was named Ravens coach Jan 08, so wouldn't that make him a rookie head coach and of course make Joe Flacco also a rookie who not only made the playoffs with a rookie HC, but went 3 games deep into it?

I haven't researched it, but I'd speculate it's fairly likely that Flacco is the only rookie QB who made the POs in every one of his 1st 4 years and the only one that won 5 playoff games in those 4 years. If not there haven't been many. :idk: Harbaugh and Flacco drove a 5-11 2007 team that actually was so god awful that they lost to the winless Fins, 3 games into the playoffs.

Hiring Harbaugh instead of promoting Ryan and trading up for Flacco who through the hindsight of a rear view mirror would deserve to be the #1 pick flat out, makes Ozzie even more of a genius IMO.

Last I looked John Harbaugh was named Ravens coach Jan 08, so wouldn't that make him a rookie head coach and of course make Joe Flacco also a rookie who not only made the playoffs with a rookie HC, but went 3 games deep into it?

I haven't researched it, but I'd speculate it's fairly likely that Flacco is the only rookie QB who made the POs in every one of his 1st 4 years and the only one that won 5 playoff games in those 4 years. If not there haven't been many. :idk: Harbaugh and Flacco drove a 5-11 2007 team that actually was so god awful that they lost to the winless Fins, 3 games into the playoffs.

Hiring Harbaugh instead of promoting Ryan and trading up for Flacco who through the hindsight of a rear view mirror would deserve to be the #1 pick flat out, makes Ozzie even more of a genius IMO.

Sanchez had 4 wins in his first two years in the post season. Is he a good qb? By your system he is one of the best ever!

Sanchez had 4 wins in his first two years in the post season. Is he a good qb? By your system he is one of the best ever!

Point taken.... but I guess I'll concede that he might have that rare but valuable "clutch gene" also at least to the extent that can get carried by his team through the season til he reaches its instant death elimination, loser-go-home phase. :idk:

I don't see the fix this year! Most of the people that trash Matt Ryan are salivating for Tannehill at 8 which is just crazy.
:lol: So true. Of course, that all changes if we don't take him, at which point he clearly sucks.

I honestly won't have a problem if we draft him. Not super high on him, but we're in a good spot to develop him with Moore here. That being said, I hope they have the balls to pull the plug if he hasn't developed. The biggest problem after not drafting QBs (or signing good FA ones that have fallen in our laps) over the past 10 years is not moving on when it's apparent to damn near everybody that their project QB isn't cutting it. From Fiedler to Henne, it's been the same mistake, sticking with "their guy" through thick and thin.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Ohhh Christ... Not again.... Matty Ice has been very productive when it counts... LMAO

More productive than Long when it counts. Wait, he's only played in one game that "counted," because LTs don't get you to the playoffs in the first place.

Point taken.... but I guess I'll concede that he might have that rare but valuable "clutch gene" also at least to the extent that can get carried by his team through the season til he reaches its instant death elimination, loser-go-home phase. :idk:

The Falcons as a team were terrible! Twice in the first half White dropped oases killing drives that would have taken the lead. Mularkey had a Saparanoesk gamer plan.

The Falcons as a team were terrible! Twice in the first half White dropped oases killing drives that would have taken the lead. Mularkey had a Saparanoesk gamer plan.

Not to mention he's lost to the Super Bowl reps/winners each time in very close games. Meanwhile, Long helped us score 9 total offseason points in the same time frame....

:lol: So true. Of course, that all changes if we don't take him, at which point he clearly sucks.

I honestly won't have a problem if we draft him. Not super high on him, but we're in a good spot to develop him with Moore here. That being said, I hope they have the balls to pull the plug if he hasn't developed. The biggest problem after not drafting QBs (or signing good FA ones that have fallen in our laps) over the past 10 years is not moving on when it's apparent to damn near everybody that their project QB isn't cutting it. From Fiedler to Henne, it's been the same mistake, sticking with "their guy" through thick and thin.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

More productive than Long when it counts. Wait, he's only played in one game that "counted," because LTs don't get you to the playoffs in the first place.

I'm not big on Tannehill to me it is his release elbow in and low. Now I know people pin here will say we can adjust that, but Sherman didn't do that in 4yrs through college. Remember trweaking Pat Whites motion was suppose to be ready. And we knew it so btw couldn't even throw a football! If we reach for Tannehill I will support him for sure, but like Henne I don't see him as the answer. Ooh well guess only time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom