Now here's an idea... RT restructure | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now here's an idea... RT restructure

If we do indeed love Landry and value what he brings to our team...why doesn't our franchise QB do the right thing and restructure his contract to be team friendly?

After all...its him throwing the ball to him. Doesn't he care that we might be dealing away his best weapon? Marino would never stand for it...

Isn't it the least he can do? He didn't even play last season because of HIS MISTAKE...he set our team back huge. The injury the year before wasn't his fault...but we didn't have our starting QB in round 1 of the playoffs. And because of his decision we lost our starting QB all of last season - and worse - we paid 10 mil for Cutler.

Isn't it his duty to the team then? He was paid what...15-20 mil last season for sitting on the friggin sideline? Give up some of your $ to ensure your top WR stays on this team.

I often wonder what some posters are thinking as they post.

Tannehill already signed a team friendly deal.

Tannehill is going to be paid about the same amount as Winston, Bortles, Dalton, and Tyrod Taylor next year.

Not sure there's a lot of incentive for him to restructure unless it's for a lower cap hit, but more guaranteed money over a longer contract.

And I'd actually be in favor of that last bit, if for no other reason than to see the heads of a few posters explode here. Maybe 4 years, 75 million, with 35 million guaranteed? 15/12/8/0?

Or he could just gamble on himself, which would be the smart thing, and stick to what he's got. FFS, Mike Glennon is making 15 million a year for the next two years.

Glennon is probably getting cut with only a 4.5 dead cap hit. He only had 18.5 guaranteed and made and counted 14M against the cap last year. Ryan Pace may be the only GM worse than ours for FA signings.

Ryan made less than a million from the final year of rookie deal also. It's the NFL, all rookies deal with the same pay scale. Why should Jarvis be treated any different?

Negative ghostrider.

Ryan was also slated to make just over 4 million in 2015, the final year of his rookie deal.

In April, exercised Tannehill's 5th year option. The option would have guaranteed the Dolphins control of Tannehill though the 2016 season while also giving Ryan a nice sized raise from under 5 million a season to just over 16 million.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2015/5/27/8668643/breaking-down-the-new-tannehill-contract

Well here's where I got my potentially wrong info. It even has a little graph at the bottom to show salary breakdown per year.

The Miami Dolphins recently signed starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill to an extension, keeping him with the team through 2020. Prior to working out a new deal with Tannehill and his agent the team had, back in April, exercised Tannehill's 5th year option. The option would have guaranteed the Dolphins control of Tannehill though the 2016 season while also giving Ryan a nice sized raise from under 5 million a season to just over 16 million.

With the Dolphins picking up the fifth year option they were already due to pay Tannehill 16.2 million for the 2016 season. Ryan was also slated to make just over 4 million in 2015, the final year of his rookie deal.

Tannehill's deal wasn't quite team friendly imo because he's due 19 million this year and there were/are still questions about him in the minds of some. Despite that, there's really no need to restructure him unless we'r sure he's going to be our guy for another year or 2

I thought is was the responsibility of the front office to keep the cap structured in such a way that we avoid potential salary cap issues that stop us from adding talent as we grow....If the FO wants to pay a player, for whatever reason, more than they can afford or more than the market says...then they should be replaced with someone more fiscal responsible.....

Nothing wrong with Thill's contract IMO...and it's not his responsibility

https://www.thephinsider.com/2015/5/27/8668643/breaking-down-the-new-tannehill-contract

Well here's where I got my potentially wrong info. It even has a little graph at the bottom to show salary breakdown per year.
The offset language (he got a unique rookie deal) and fifth year pick up altered things. But the point I was trying to make had the 5th year not been picked up and he rode it out like Landry, he would have made a base rookie salary in 2015. Really I was just making a point to the argument that Landry played for peanuts last year, that's why he deserves so much, I don't agree with that line of thinking.

Tannehill received a $7.653 million signing bonus, will receive minimum base salaries in each of his four seasons and will have a 2012 salary cap number of $2.3 million.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...nefits-for-both-sides/V4LHWeOM0ojDQ6VbpPCiaP/

Tannehill's deal wasn't quite team friendly imo because he's due 19 million this year and there were/are still questions about him in the minds of some. Despite that, there's really no need to restructure him unless we'r sure he's going to be our guy for another year or 2

It was absolutely team friendly. Take a look at the % of contract guaranteed and see where that ranks among starters. AAV is a good measure for fans but contract flexibility is even more important when talking cap.

Back
Top Bottom