Now here's an idea... RT restructure | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now here's an idea... RT restructure

It was absolutely team friendly. Take a look at the % of contract guaranteed and see where that ranks among starters. AAV is a good measure for fans but contract flexibility is even more important when talking cap.
I agree as far as the guaranteed but this year we'r paying him 19 mil and there's quite a few question marks regarding him in the minds of some. So if 19 mil for a guy that has some clamoring for a round 1 qb is friendly, I'd hate to see what unfriendly was like at that time. And yes I do understand that we have easy outs after this season but the fact remains he's going to make 20 mil this year.

I agree as far as the guaranteed but this year we'r paying him 19 mil and there's quite a few question marks regarding him in the minds of some. So if 19 mil for a guy that has some clamoring for a round 1 qb is friendly, I'd hate to see what unfriendly was like at that time. And yes I do understand that we have easy outs after this season but the fact remains he's going to make 20 mil this year.

And that is in line with what he should be making.

If Ryan never got hurt in 2016 and was playing on the 5th year option . . . That contract would of exceeded 25 million AAV in the 2017 offseason.

and Garrapolo with 7 games in and almost no tape on him is making @27.5m; expect career loser Cousins to make more. So again, it's all relative.

Those are freshly signed contracts while RTs is a couple of years ago. Also Jimmy G came in for the 9ers and did what I'd love to see RT do which is take mediocre guys and make them look better on offense. Jimmy G took the same offense Gabbert, Kaep, and Beathard had and led them to score more. 27 mil is a crazy number for one player though

Those are freshly signed contracts while RTs is a couple of years ago. Also Jimmy G came in for the 9ers and did what I'd love to see RT do which is take mediocre guys and make them look better on offense. Jimmy G took the same offense Gabbert, Kaep, and Beathard had and led them to score more. 27 mil is a crazy number for one player though

Even a couple of years ago, you signed that deal early to get a discount late plus the guaranteed money was so much less that if he flopped you could cut ties later in the contract.

It absolutely sucks that we lost a year on the cap with a top paid player on the team, but even in my days arguing against the lovefest there was for Ryan I always applauded this kind of foresight and really liked the deal.

I agree. Not only did he NOT play last season and still got paid, but he has never been as much of a “sure thing” at his position as Landry has been. I think tannehill was slightly overpaid at the time but now it’s more even. The injury may have put his deal back into the “not great” category with the FO though. Either way restructuring tannehill is a smart move.

I agree. Not only did he NOT play last season and still got paid, but he has never been as much of a “sure thing” at his position as Landry has been. I think tannehill was slightly overpaid at the time but now it’s more even. The injury may have put his deal back into the “not great” category with the FO though. Either way restructuring tannehill is a smart move.

I mean i have no issues restructuring Ryan . . . . But lets make one thing clear . . . Doing that worsens the contract. It gives immediate cap flexibility but almost certainly will secure him through 2020.

This is why I have no problem just reworking a new contract with injury provisions, over restucturing the deal. If you are willing to restructure, essentially guaranteeing him for the next 3 years, may as well resign him to longer on a discount and still get out after 3 if need be but also get him cheaper for an extra 2 or 3 years.

Probably because he played for less than a million last year.
Yeah, but the Dolphins are not going to low ball Landry, I can bet his offer was more than fair.....we are talking about the Dolphins here.

Miami is not trying won sb. Thill17 is not worth 19 m yr. Dolphins need find young QB in draft for future.. our whole f/o should be fired. Must be nice give guy money who have never made it to playoff. He doesn't have no problems getting no contract.

Miami is not trying won sb. Thill17 is not worth 19 m yr. Dolphins need find young QB in draft for future.. our whole f/o should be fired. Must be nice give guy money who have never made it to playoff. He doesn't have no problems getting no contract.

Newsflash: 3 qbs that were in the championship round of theplayoffs were Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, and Nick Foles.

Flawed logic. Also flawed argument about salary.

I do think tannehill and Suh restructure but not for Landry. For Ansah

Who is this new drafted qb getting us to a Super Bowl?

The offset language (he got a unique rookie deal) and fifth year pick up altered things. But the point I was trying to make had the 5th year not been picked up and he rode it out like Landry, he would have made a base rookie salary in 2015. Really I was just making a point to the argument that Landry played for peanuts last year, that's why he deserves so much, I don't agree with that line of thinking.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...nefits-for-both-sides/V4LHWeOM0ojDQ6VbpPCiaP/

Played for peanuts? He made close to a million dollars last year. Where do you work at because I would certainly work for peanuts i.e. $1 million if you have any vacancies.

Back
Top Bottom