Now here's an idea... RT restructure | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now here's an idea... RT restructure

Ok guys I'm no expert on this stuff but hear me out.

His contract was perhaps considered "team friendly" because his first few years were super cheap. However his last couple years were approx. 20 mil per season. Nowadays (after many, many more contracts have been signed and the value continues to inflate) its pretty standard, but back then it was pretty damn high. Consider that it was more than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. It was on par with Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Cam Newton...and the list goes on. So he was most CERTAINLY in the TOP10 at least when he signed his contract. And I remember a lot of people freaking out about it...because well...he only had one legitimate season under Bill Lazor to justify it.

My point is...hes (was) paid like the 10th or perhaps better QB in the league when he signed it, but he hasn't consistently played like one. And don't get me wrong here...I'm 100% a Tannehill supporter. My point is that...why doesn't he be humble (after all he still has his starting job) ...i mean of all the seasons, we could seriously take one this year.

My point about his injury and missing this last season is valid. The season before wasn't his fault, but ultimately he made a choice that cost the team. It was an honest mistake - nobody knew if it was the right thing to do - but who made the choice? The surgery was the safer and more sure route. He rolled the dice and cost us.

You say "Why him?"
Because hes the leader of the team and he sets the example. Its because of Tom Brady doing PRECISELY what I'm advocating for over the last decade that players who come to New England KNOW that its TEAM FIRST. Its not just Belicheat, Brady has a HUGE PART in that culture.

At the end of the day, like I said, its HIM throwing the footballs. He should be trying to help the front office give him as much talent as possible. Once you're making 10's of millions...give me a break...you can easily shave off a million or 2 each season. And again don't tell me that "all the players get theirs" because they don't. Tom ****ing Brady guys. I hate him with a passion but its the truth.

So my point is...if RT really cares about his offense, if he really cares about Landry, and he really wants to desperately WIN...why not help the team out and restructure? Of course this assumes that he is THE GUY, so all he'd have to do is have that conversation as he pitched the idea.

He'd also perhaps get other people to follow his lead. You never know. What if he got Juice to settle for 15 instead of 16 per year? Because he said "***** you know what....I am willing to give away a million per year for you to stay on the team. Are you willing to give away a million to stay with us and fight on? I got _____ to do the same. Are you gonna turn your back on us?"

I mean thats the dialogue I would expect from a leader.

Again, restructure is not a “paycut”. This is very misunderstood.

And financials have nothing to do with leadership.

His contract was perhaps considered "team friendly" because his first few years were super cheap. However his last couple years were approx. 20 mil per season.
His contract was and still is considered team-friendly because his first few years were cheap as you say and when the contract gets expensive, almost all the guarantees have been paid out and he can be let go with minimal cap implications if the team wishes to do so. This is the definition of team-friendly. At this point Ryan Tannehill does have zero leverage with his contract.

Newsflash: 3 qbs that were in the championship round of theplayoffs were Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, and Nick Foles.

Flawed logic. Also flawed argument about salary.
exception to the rules. How many times were Mannings and Brady in the Super Bowl over the past 10-12 years.

yall do nt understand our f/o do not have skill to build team like that around thill17. dolphins need elite qb to make fromt office look good. I have question mark about our head coach as well
great post. post of the year. The only way the coach and FO saves their jobs is if they can have a young qb FOR THE FUTURE. I don't see another coaching staff and FO losing their job to Tannehill again. How many guys does he have to get fired? It's easy to be a gm and coach if you have the qb

Those are freshly signed contracts while RTs is a couple of years ago. Also Jimmy G came in for the 9ers and did what I'd love to see RT do which is take mediocre guys and make them look better on offense. Jimmy G took the same offense Gabbert, Kaep, and Beathard had and led them to score more. 27 mil is a crazy number for one player though

He did, he made Brian Hartline and Bess household names on finheaven.

If that’s not making mediocre guys and make them better then I don’t know.

His contract was and still is considered team-friendly because his first few years were cheap as you say and when the contract gets expensive, almost all the guarantees have been paid out and he can be let go with minimal cap implications if the team wishes to do so. This is the definition of team-friendly. At this point Ryan Tannehill does have zero leverage with his contract.

Exaclty.

Played for peanuts? He made close to a million dollars last year. Where do you work at because I would certainly work for peanuts i.e. $1 million if you have any vacancies.
My comments were aimed at those who say he played for peanuts. I too would gladly work for "peanuts".

If you think RT sucks you should not be hoping for a restructure. All a restructure will do is make more money and years guarenteed such as what happened with Misi. If the FO restructures him, its a clear sign that they expect him to be here a lot longer.

If you think RT sucks you should not be hoping for a restructure. All a restructure will do is make more money and years guarenteed such as what happened with Misi. If the FO restructures him, its a clear sign that they expect him to be here a lot longer. this why f/o stay in trouble. let thill17 earned his contrast. it too earle to sign thill17.

I agree. Not only did he NOT play last season and still got paid, but he has never been as much of a “sure thing” at his position as Landry has been. I think tannehill was slightly overpaid at the time but now it’s more even. The injury may have put his deal back into the “not great” category with the FO though. Either way restructuring tannehill is a smart move.

Since the contract was signed the Dolphin’s have paid Ryan $27M for 13 starts and 8 wins. Probably not what they envisioned at the time they signed. That injury really hurt. I don’t think you restructure right now.

Did These QB's win a super bowl...or were they good QB's on a solid TEAM

Both, you really can’t take anything away from Foles. His great team surrendered the lead in the 4th quarter for first time in Super Bowl. Foles led the game winning drive with clutch passes and little to no running yards in that drive. Converting 3rd and 4th downs on that drive with key passes.

captain-jack-sparrow-confused.gif

How is this conversation still going???

Back
Top Bottom