OCNN: OchoCinco signs with Miami. | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OCNN: OchoCinco signs with Miami.

Being honest the Patriots were semi being pounded about this "big Mistake". In everything from NFL.com to SI.com there have been stories about Bill Belichick making a rare funk out is trading for both Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/06/07/chad-oc...ill-belichick/

What we did during a slow news time is to take the pressure off of them and put it on us.

Now, as a lot of us knew, the story is going to be about us signing Chad Ochocinco, not the Patriots releasing him. Our WR corp is so poor, and we are so desperate that we signed a over the hill diva. That is what "the story" of Hard Knocks and training camp is going to be about.

I'm not sure when we have to pay him, I think we could still release him in a month or more. (someone have that date?)
But his veteran minimum is $940,000.

I think/hope there are some reasons behind us signing CO. I think a big reason is that it seems like Brian Hartline is really hurt. as in at least for a couple of months before he can play or even practice.

Another big reason has been in the news and Philbin mentioned it when asked about signing CO. As a team, our TEs. RBs. WRs etc have been dropping a lot of footballs in OTAs. Here is a example of what was said.

Thhttp://sports.yahoo.com/news/wr-chad-ochocinco-gets-tryout-194353786--nfl.htmle

The signing came after Ochocinco had a tryout with the Dolphins, who are thin at the position and dropping a lot of passes in offseason drills.

Following a practice Monday, coach Joe Philbin conceded there has been room for improvement in the pass-catching during offseason workouts. ''You would like to have some players make it easy and distinguish themselves(as in no one is), maybe make the picture a little bit clearer,'' Philbin said. ''We have to catch the ball more consistently at every position on offense, because it is not quite where it needs to be.''

In other words, one plus about Chad Johnson is that he catches the football well. He has been called "gumpyist" is being able to adjust his body to make a catch. He has made a living out of out running or out jumping defenders who the catch. Most "numner one" WRs are very very good at going up and not only catching the football but taking it away.

IMO, us signing CO is a wake up very early call up to our WRs. They are all dropping footballs, we are signing a WR that does not drop footballs. I have a practice theory where if everyone is messing up, the pressure to do really well is lessened. If CO comes in, works hard and starts snatching balls out of the air it will impact our WRs. The story in all the local papers will be that CO had another really good day in practice.

I expect us to keep things simple with CO. Allow him to have great practices.

“All warfare is based on deception.” -Sun Tzu The Art of War

Make the story about Chad Ochocinco. And take it off of the team. HBO will spend 20-25% of the time following around Chad Ochocinco and the WRs and their coaches. We need to make sure he still has family in the area because being with them will be more minutes for Chad.

I'm talking slight of hand here. Dangle Ochocinco over here and have the cameras turn that way while Philbin does something over here. And we can control this story in that whenever we want, we can end it or make it more important. I strongly disagree that we should "make the HBO show Hard Knocks more interesting" as some here have said. Unless we are getting paid for it. Or unless we can use it for our benefit.

As far as the Diva factor. I can take any Diva WR that catches the ball and get in trouble the most when he scores TDs and catches passes. I just can't take those that drop footballs and touchdowns. And I agree with a lot of our posters that CO is not the "team cancer" kind of Diva. He is a "I'm special" and "I want the ball" and "look what I do after I score a TD) Which I'm OK with.

Hmmm, this became a Brandon Marshall thread....hey, do not get me started on him....

We have lauded the Miami Dolphins for their signing of Chad Ochocinco in large part because we have assumed that his contract was a low-risk move.

After seeing the numbers, you could call it a no-risk move.

Peter King of SI.com reported Tuesday that Ochocinco signed for the veteran's minimum of $925,000 deal. He can double that through incentives to just over $2 million, but he will need to catch 80 passes to do that. He caught 15 last year.

Basically, the Dolphins can cut him before the season starts with no penalty. There is no guaranteed money. And we think Ochocinco will have to earn a starting job to even make the team.

As NFL.com reporter Jeff Darlington points out, the Ochocinco move is a sign that the team is doing business differently than it did during the Bill Parcells era. That doesn't mean this was an especially risky move by general manager Jeff Ireland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829c3295/article/chad-ochocinco-gets-veterans-minimum-

What are we the ****ing Oakland A's?

We should be trying to win games this year, not save as much of Steven Ross' money as possible.

Exactly...not sure why so many people here are so up in arms over signing this guy. It is a no-risk deal to kick the tires on the guy and see if he has any value to our offense. If not, nothing lost and move on. If by chance he has something left in the tank for us (which I really do not think he does), then we get him on the cheap.

Right now, this is not that big of a story and really not worth getting all worked up about.

but he was a complete ghost with the Patriots. They didn't even want him back

Why suddenly he's a good pickup for us?

Exactly...not sure why so many people here are so up in arms over signing this guy. It is a no-risk deal to kick the tires on the guy and see if he has any value to our offense. If not, nothing lost and move on. If by chance he has something left in the tank for us (which I really do not think he does), then we get him on the cheap.

Right now, this is not that big of a story and really not worth getting all worked up about.

I agree with you. This signing really isn't that big of a deal one way or another.
What bothers me is that people try to argue that we're better off with Ochocinco than we are Marshall, which is just the most ridiculous thought ever.
If I was to come onto this board halfway thru last season and say "YOU KNOW WHAT, BRANDON MARSHALL IS A CANCER! WE SHOULD SHIP HIM OFF TO ANYBODY THAT WILL TAKE HIM FOR WHATEVER WE CAN GET, AND SIGN CHAD OCHOCINCO AS HIS REPLACEMENT!!!!1!!!1" I would have gotten absolutely torn apart and laughed at. But now, the same homers who would have called me an idiot only a few short months ago are eating this **** up. All because jackass Ireland was actually dumb enough to do it, and they have to force themselves to justify yet another in a long series of terrible personnel decisions.

What are we the ****ing Oakland A's?

We should be trying to win games this year, not save as much of Steven Ross' money as possible.

True but I do not think we should pay C O double what he wants. Or give him a signing bonus when do one expects him to be offered one.

And I think we should do both. Win and "save yearly cap space".

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

I agree with you. This signing really isn't that big of a deal one way or another.
What bothers me is that people try to argue that we're better off with Ochocinco than we are Marshall, which is just the most ridiculous thought ever.
If I was to come onto this board halfway thru last season and say "YOU KNOW WHAT, BRANDON MARSHALL IS A CANCER! WE SHOULD SHIP HIM OFF TO ANYBODY THAT WILL TAKE HIM FOR WHATEVER WE CAN GET, AND SIGN CHAD OCHOCINCO AS HIS REPLACEMENT!!!!1!!!1" I would have gotten absolutely torn apart and laughed at. But now, the same homers who would have called me an idiot only a few short months ago are eating this **** up. All because jackass Ireland was actually dumb enough to do it, and they have to force themselves to justify yet another in a long series of terrible personnel decisions.

And like that this thread becomes about B Marshall...............

:shakeno:

You are guessing my friend. Realistically, and what has already been rumored, is that probably nothing will be guaranteed. HIGHLY doubt there was a signing bonus. If they cut him before the season they lose nothing. I bet though Ocho could make up to $2-3 million as you mentioned, likely through incentives. Though if he is making that this upcoming season, that likely means he is performing well in the offense and making a differnce.
And what are you doing?? Please be the first to post the details of his contract and then we can chat. You have been claiming (since the beginning as fact) that we will sign him for nothing guaranteed and league min of $925K. I have been saying NOT going to happen. Incentive laden or not he is going to make between 2 - 3 mil and there will be some type of guarenteed $. For that price, to me not worth it. We are not 1 year away (not even 2). I would like to see Philbin develope someone at the position in his offense.

Contract details:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...2/chad.ochocinco/index.html?eref=twitter_feed
Just look at the contract. It's a one-year, $925,000 deal, the minimum for veterans of the 34-year-old Ochocinco's experience. He can double that through incentives -- to just over $2 million -- but those incentives are steep. He'll have to catch at least 80 balls with the Dolphins to make much in extras, and there's no guarantee he'll make the team. There was some speculation that the deal would be even more cap-friendly to the Dolphins, because minimum-salary vets in some circumstances can count only $540,000 toward the salary cap. But because there are backside performance bonuses to the contract, the deal will count $925,000 against the cap -- if Ochocinco makes the team.

Go ahead SCOTTY, lets talk.

1. Who gives a **** about off the field fights if the don't result in league penalties?
Can't play on the field if you are in the hospital or dead. Also, lets not pretend like Marshall has never been suspended for games during his career, because he has.

2. Marshall has never mentally destroyed a quarterback. This argument is completely baseless. Jay Cutler loves him, Kyle Orton had the best stretch of play of his career while throwing to him, Chad Henne mentally destroyed himself, and the only time Marshall "dissed" Moore was at the pro bowl when he probably thought the Fins would have a new QB next year anyway. Big deal.
I also don't remember Marshall forcing any of his QBs into early retirement. Palmer would have sooner give up football entirely than deal with another huddle with that schmuck.
This is really laughable and untrue. Marshall destroyed Henne's confidence and Orton never liked him. The ONLY QB he has gotten along with is Cutler and even that relationship has been shaky. Palmer retired because he was sick of the Bengals, not Ochocinco. Your argument makes no sense since Ochocinco was in New England when Palmer decided not to show up and retire if not traded.
3. You're right, there is no comparison between Marshall and Ochocinco. Marshall is awesome and Ochocinco clearly can't play anymore.
I have never doubted Marshall's talent. I was one of the first to say it wasn't a great trade. I totally undertstand why Philbin wanted him gone and the value wasn't horrendous, but I was looking forward to Marshall coming back for a third season with the team. Would I rather Marshall's talent over Ochocinco? Absolutely! But you have to admit he is one scarey dude, and even though I wish we still had his talent it is a bit of a relief not having to worry about his off the field life and whether or not the next time he was on a grass field was to play football or being laid to rest in a grave. Tell me you were not worried about that at all? Does Ochocinco live that same life style? I don't think so.

Marshall is making $9.3 million this season and Ochocinco is making $925,000. They are not the same player talent wise but they are DEFINITELY not the same type of human. Marshall probably would have made things hell for Philbin and what he was trying to do going forward. Ochocinco is not that same type of person.
Your homerism is absolutely legendary.

You are the exact opposite of the definition of a homer is. You hate everyone on the team and everything this team does, yet love everyone they let go and prefer they do the opposite of what they did. It is who you are, which is not a pleasant fan who feeds off of negativity. You will never be happy or agree with anything they do which makes me wonder why you even bother putting so much effort into following them.

Do you want a cookie? Maybe some vodka and Quaaludes?

insomnia411 brings the value of the site down. Is he a Jets fan? He is either just always trying to be a prick or has no idea what the hell he is talking about.

Tell me what I've been wrong about. Please.
Hate me or my opinon all you want but don't question my fanood. I root for this team harder than any man on this earth and I haven't missed a game since September of 02 when my family got DirecTV. The reason why you think I'm a prick is because I've become extremely cynical with this franchise, and specifically now, I have no faith in Jeff Ireland and I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Can you blame me? We've done nothing but lose every important game we've been in for the last 10 years.
When the team does something I disagree with, I voice my opinion. Sue me. Unfortunately, I've been right about personnel moves more often than our FO has.

Can't play on the field if you are in the hospital or dead. Also, lets not pretend like Marshall has never been suspended for games during his career, because he has.

This is really laughable and untrue. Marshall destroyed Henne's confidence and Orton never liked him. The ONLY QB he has gotten along with is Cutler and even that relationship has been shaky. Palmer retired because he was sick of the Bengals, not Ochocinco. Your argument makes no sense since Ochocinco was in New England when Palmer decided not to show up and retire if not traded.

I have never doubted Marshall's talent. I was one of the first to say it wasn't a great trade. I totally undertstand why Philbin wanted him gone and the value wasn't horrendous, but I was looking forward to Marshall coming back for a third season with the team. Would I rather Marshall's talent over Ochocinco? Absolutely! But you have to admit he is one scarey dude, and even though I wish we still had his talent it is a bit of a relief not having to worry about his off the field life and whether or not the next time he was on a grass field was to play football or being laid to rest in a grave. Tell me you were not worried about that at all? Does Ochocinco live that same life style? I don't think so.

Marshall is making $9.3 million this season and Ochocinco is making $925,000. They are not the same player talent wise but they are DEFINITELY not the same type of human. Marshall probably would have made things hell for Philbin and what he was trying to do going forward. Ochocinco is not that same type of person.

You are the exact opposite of the definition of a homer is. You hate everyone on the team and everything this team does, yet love everyone they let go and prefer they do the opposite of what they did. It is who you are, which is not a pleasant fan who feeds off of negativity. You will never be happy or agree with anything they do which makes me wonder why you even bother putting so much effort into following them.

PLEASE tell me how Marshall ruined Henne's confidence more than our old coaching staff (who you loved) did? Henning and Sparano ruined Henne, Marshall was the least of his ****in worries.

insomnia411 brings the value of the site down. Is he a Jets fan? He is either just always trying to be a prick or has no idea what the hell he is talking about.

Continuing to "attack people" instead of "attacking points"...the site is better off with insomnia more than yourself....

Tell me what I've been wrong about. Please.
Hate me or my opinon all you want but don't question my fanood. I root for this team harder than any man on this earth and I haven't missed a game since September of 02 when my family got DirecTV. The reason why you think I'm a prick is because I've become extremely cynical with this franchise, and specifically now, I have no faith in Jeff Ireland and I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Can you blame me? We've done nothing but lose every important game we've been in for the last 10 years.
When the team does something I disagree with, I voice my opinion. Sue me. Unfortunately, I've been right about personnel moves more often than our FO has.

Your are posts starting to sound even more ridiculous by the minute. What do you want? A trophy for being right about the team being bad the last 3 years?!!? Jeez. Gimme a break. Oh, and cussing every other 5 words in most of your posts doesn't make you right or sound smart. I understand this may be cool for some, but it just brings down the value of your posts man. It gets extremely old after a while.

Oh and about fanhood, is that why you were secretly posting "I'm rooting for the Jets during week 17 so we can get a better draft pick" and "I've become a Jets fan" threads in conspicuous corners of these forums?

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?311397-will-slater

Some loyalty there buddy. :bobdole:

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE tell me how Marshall ruined Henne's confidence more than our old coaching staff (who you loved) did? Henning and Sparano ruined Henne, Marshall was the least of his ****in worries.
Marshall is a pain in the ass and you are naive if you think he wasn't degrading Henne in the locker room. Heck he threw Henne under the buss after the 2010 season when he said Thigpen "gets it" and "understands" how to throw to to receivers and that the Henne didn't. He threw Matt Moore under the bus at the Pro Bowl and talked about coach Sparano, but never once mentioned Philbin. Karl Dorrell switched to QB coach in 2011 because he couldn't stand working directly with Marshall. Marshall just wasn't a good teammate or very coachable. Keep in mind we are not arguing talent, this is about personality and how these players fit on the team. I would rather Ochocinco's goofiness over Marshall's destructive behavior.

Your posts starting to sound even more ridiculous by the minute. What do you want? A trophy for being right about the team being bad the last 3 years?!!? Jeez. Gimme a break. Oh, and cussing every other 5 words in most of your posts doesn't make you right or sound smart. I understand this may be cool for some, but it just brings down the value of your posts man. It gets extremely old after a while.

Oh and about fanhood, is that why you were secretly posting "I'm rooting for the Jets during week 17 so we can get a better draft pick" and "I've become a Jets fan" threads in conspicuous corners of these forums?

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?311397-will-slater

Some loyalty there buddy. :bobdole:

insomnia has now become nyjunc's green batkid.

Back
Top Bottom