OCNN: OchoCinco signs with Miami. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OCNN: OchoCinco signs with Miami.

If he was "very very good" as you say, he wouldnt have been shut out of the offense. You dont shut out "very, very good" players from your team. So since pro bowls seem to be your measuring stick, were you a fan of bringing in TO or Randy Moss?
I'd be a fan of bringing in anyone that can help this offense. This discussion is ridiculous, our WR corps is a joke and 85 was brought in for a nominal amount and no draft pick compensation.

If it makes you feel any better, we cut center Terence Brown, who nobody knows or cares about, to make room for Johnson. We get to keep all those young studs who are all obviously primed for breakout seasons.

Chad Pennington's game did not rely on him being faster then the defenders.

Neither dpes Chad Johnson's.... He was NEVER known as a burner...... Fast yes but not to the fact that thats all he had.... Chad Ochocinco in NE was not good for one reason or onther. Chad Johnson from Cincy was a very good WR that ran very good routes. All routes too over the middle and all. Lets just see if we hit on something here.

So sad that we have to bring him in....this is going to be a long season.

Well signing Ochocino isnt going to fix that when he's dropping passes and doesnt know where to line up

Not sure where your hate for Chad is but if this dude is focused he is the best WR on the roster....... You cant really believe that we had a solid WR group. We couldnt even line up in a 4 WR set cause we dont have 4 capable WR.

Take your blinders off. The WR group was a D- until yesterday and the addition of Chad just madde it a D+. If Chad still has something in the tank it could be a B- group with him playing good ball. hartline, bess and hopefully one of the young kids.

Could this be like the Pennington move the Meatball n Tuna made to propel a young team into the playoffs for the first time in years?......I think not. This move screams of desperation. We have **** at WR, except Bess. Hopefully, he at least changes his name back to Johnson and looks to kill the Patsies for revenge, having 2 great games this year against his old team.

I don't think it's desperation at all. It's a sound football move to improve the team at little cost or risk. Desperation would be trading picks and signing him for a lot of guaranteed money like the Pats did.

I am happy with the signing, but I am worried that if he had trouble with the NE playbook, why wouldn't he here? It is a lot of formations. Did they run something similar in Cinn? I also find it funny he was cussing out Vontae Davis last Summer or maybe the summer before because noone would work out with him on his routes! hehe

Ochocinco was NOT a good fit for the Pats. NE's offense requires WRs to make much more complicated reads than most offenses and it takes most receivers a while to learn to do that. It's probably why they haven't developed a young WR of their own in years and rely on savvy vets like Welker, Branch, Moss, etc who adapted to their system. When Ochocinco had difficulty making those reads early on, Brady largely ignored him afterwards.

You guys are right. The dolphins saw something that 31 other nfl teams didnt. Who am I to question the dolphins eye for talent.

AFAIK, Ochocinco wasn't interested in any team other than Miami, and why not? I think that many, if not most, pro athletes would welcome the opportunity to play for their "hometown team".

They traded a 5th round pick in the past draft and a 6th round pick in next year's draft. They also paid him $6 million last season and will have $2 million in dead money this season and $2 million in dead space next year.

Ouch!

Miami gets him for likely no guaranteed money and a salary for less than $1 million. Yet people praised the Patriots for the trade but question Miami now for signing him.

That's 'cause the Fins are the NFL media's whipping boys du jour. Nothing they do will be good or right ... until the media finds a new target.

I think this is a good signing for Miami. A QB needs targets, especially ones that can stretch the field, and now Miami has one. I think Ochocinco will work out much better for the Fins than most people think because his trouble in NE wasn't related to fading skills.

I would have liked to see him on the Bills, but he's NOT the kind of FA that the Bills sign under Buddy Nix since Buddy likes younger FAs.

I was really afraid that the Jests might sign him as they still need a #2 WR. With 2 viable targets, Sanchez might actually start to resemble a decent NFL QB. It was probably not much of a possibility since Jabba and the Meatball seem determined to turn back the clock to 1985 ... or may 1955.

he Bengals turned that 166th pick this year into Cal wide receiver Marvin Jones, who is in the mix to win a starting spot opposite A.J. Green.

I keep thinking about how the Patriots paid money to get rid of him. Considering their investment, if he was any good at all he would have played for them.

I guess you do not have to be smart to play for the Dolphins. What gets me is that we read about C Gates having the same problems that C Johnson had, if we dumb down the offense for Johnson, do we also do it for Gates?

See my reply to 67Stang above. Having a problem mastering the playbook is NOT the same thing as making the reads on the field. It implies that a player is having difficulty learning the plays and his role in them. That wasn't Ochocinco's issue. It was when to run what route based on what the defense does and on other facts, possibly field position, down and distance.

Most NFL teams don't use the complicated reads that NE uses. In NE'S system, the WR has several patterns that he can run depending up a variety of factors (zone or man defense, field position, down and distance, who knows what else) all off of 1 play call, and he has to almost instantly figure out what the defender is doing, consider all the other factors, and pick the right route to run. It really requires the WR and QB to be on the same intellectual "wavelength", and Ochocinco had problems with that. Most NFL teams simply have different plays for different situations on the field, so the WR only has to read "man or zone" and run the appropriate route.

Not sure where your hate for Chad is but if this dude is focused he is the best WR on the roster....... You cant really believe that we had a solid WR group. We couldnt even line up in a 4 WR set cause we dont have 4 capable WR.

I dont hate the guy. But you can't ignore that this guy has failed to learn the NE offense in a year, and that he's 34 years old and probably not as quick as you all think he is.

It's nice to see Ireland making moves exactly opposite of what Parcells would have done. Nice to see he has a set of his own.

I don't think it's desperation at all. It's a sound football move to improve the team at little cost or risk. Desperation would be trading picks and signing him for a lot of guaranteed money like the Pats did.

Ochocinco was NOT a good fit for the Pats. NE's offense requires WRs to make much more complicated reads than most offenses and it takes most receivers a while to learn to do that. It's probably why they haven't developed a young WR of their own in years and rely on savvy vets like Welker, Branch, Moss, etc who adapted to their system. When Ochocinco had difficulty making those reads early on, Brady largely ignored him afterwards.

AFAIK, Ochocinco wasn't interested in any team other than Miami, and why not? I think that many, if not most, pro athletes would welcome the opportunity to play for their "hometown team".

Ouch!

That's 'cause the Fins are the NFL media's whipping boys du jour. Nothing they do will be good or right ... until the media finds a new target.

I think this is a good signing for Miami. A QB needs targets, especially ones that can stretch the field, and now Miami has one. I think Ochocinco will work out much better for the Fins than most people think because his trouble in NE wasn't related to fading skills.

I would have liked to see him on the Bills, but he's NOT the kind of FA that the Bills sign under Buddy Nix since Buddy likes younger FAs.

I was really afraid that the Jests might sign him as they still need a #2 WR. With 2 viable targets, Sanchez might actually start to resemble a decent NFL QB. It was probably not much of a possibility since Jabba and the Meatball seem determined to turn back the clock to 1985 ... or may 1955.

See my reply to 67Stang above. Having a problem mastering the playbook is NOT the same thing as making the reads on the field. It implies that a player is having difficulty learning the plays and his role in them. That wasn't Ochocinco's issue. It was when to run what route based on what the defense does and on other facts, possibly field position, down and distance.

Most NFL teams don't use the complicated reads that NE uses. In NE'S system, the WR has several patterns that he can run depending up a variety of factors (zone or man defense, field position, down and distance, who knows what else) all off of 1 play call, and he has to almost instantly figure out what the defender is doing, consider all the other factors, and pick the right route to run. It really requires the WR and QB to be on the same intellectual "wavelength", and Ochocinco had problems with that. Most NFL teams simply have different plays for different situations on the field, so the WR only has to read "man or zone" and run the appropriate route.

Very good stuff here. Strong post.

Although I'm not excited about the signing. I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

Can the guy change his last name back to Johnson now? Ochocinco has run its course long ago

Yea really. Now that would be a step in the right direction. It's not like we need any more of a side show that Hard Knocks isn't already going to create.

It's nice to see Ireland making moves exactly opposite of what Parcells would have done. Nice to see he has a set of his own.

He's a tough SOB. He's taken a lot of shots from the media, fans, and players. As my father always used to tell me, "if you're going to step into the fire, you better make sure your balls are square!"

I am usually the first to bash Ireland, but our WRs are terrible! What can this hurt?

It's an even trade off from when we gave them Welker.. It's a wash.. Even steven.. ;)

You can tell me that when 85 puts up 500+ receptions for 6000 yards and 30 plus TD for us.

That is laughable that this makes it even.

Back
Top Bottom