Official Miami Heat "Warmup" Thread (Offseason) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Miami Heat "Warmup" Thread (Offseason)

Ira Winderman said that the Heat can give Wallace 8.5 million per year, if they do not re-sign Posey or Kapono.

Unfortunately, $8.5 million per year isn't an option for Gerald Wallace. In the NFL, it probably would be, but not with the cap situation in the NBA. All we have to offer is the MLE, which is at max, what, 6-years/$30-38 million? (someone help me out with the exact numbers). Teams like Orlando and Toronto who are desperate for SF's may budge and give Wallace more, and certainly, he's well worthy of it. This is a guy who can get to the basket, rebound, defend the perimeter with the best of 'em, has size/strength/athleticism, can rebound well for his position, and has really improved his outside shot.. not to mention, 24-years old.

I'd kill for Gerald Wallace, but I highly doubt he accepts the MLE. :unsure:

So what is with Ira Winderman? he repeated this crap on the radio as well.

Is he getting the 8.5 figure with a luxury tax expenditure?

Don't we have a 2 million credit from last year as well?

He's talking out of his *** just like he was two years ago when he said that Matt Walsh was a guarantee to be picked by the Heat at #29. There's no way we can afford Gerald Wallace without a trade, and even then, it's highly unlikely that we can provide Charlotte with anything they'd want in return.

Miami's best hope is for Milwaukee to select Mike Conley, one of those top SG/SF prospects like Nick Young, Thaddeus Young, or Derrick Byars to slip to #20, and Maurice Williams to be sitting on the market looking for a new team. I say that with the notion that I find it highly unlikely for Acie Law or Rodney Stuckey to slip.

Speaking of Derrick Byars, I'm really warming up to him. I like Sean Williams too, but he's risky as hell. High risk, high reward? I don't know if you take that with a solid player like Byars on the board. Byars may not be a slashing scorer, but he can shoot and defend.. two great qualities, and he's ready to play right now.

Andy Katz on ESPN Insider:

A number of teams told ESPN.com that they believed USC's Gabe Pruitt has a bottom-guarantee from Miami at No. 20.

That's pretty scary if you think about it, but knowing Riley, he's not the type to make guarantees and stick with it. We all remember the Qyntel Woods story in 2002, lol. Katz is usually dead on when it comes to draft/free agency/trade in formation, but I don't know about this one. If you consider trading down into the late 20's for an extra pick, then Pruitt would be a good pick. However, at #20, where IMO, someone definitely regarded higher than Pruitt is expected to be there? Hell no.

I think that a Mo Williams offseason would be a success....and would make us the Fav out of the east.

The more mocks I read the more discouraged I get.

I like Gabe Pruitt.......

But Thaddeus Young is growing on me...the more I watch him.

KiNG...I have seen a couple of mocks that have Noah (Fla) dropping like a rock...if Law somehow drops past 11 and 12..it could get interesting...

Here is what I have as Law's suitors (All could use Noah):

11. Hawks, 12. Sixers, 14. Clippers (Livingston Injury), 15. Pistons (Billups gone?), 19. Lakers

Can we fade all these teams?

We need to start spreading cocaine rumors about Acie law.

Mabey thats what Ira is thinking.....that somehow you could combine the two exceptions and have a starting salary around 7.5 mil with the average over the length of the contract being 8.5 mil. Thats the only thing I can think of, and if thats his line of thought, its wrong. The bi-annual exception and mid-level exception are indepent entities and cannot be combined.

Riley had his chance to sign Wallace to the MLE and he blew it. He was practically begging people two years ago to sign him to a long term contract and the best he could do was a three year deal with the Bobcats. Its a shame noone outside Charlotte knew who he was.

The maximum contract Miami can give to any free agent is a 5 yr deal starting at the average salary of NBA players and increasing 10% a year. The average should be around 5.5 mil so thats ~34 mil.

Ira repeated it on his blog again:

As for Posey, again the question has to be: Is he a definitive starter?

Throughout his Heat career that has not always been the case, with only 19 starts in 71 appearances last season.

So do you invest $7 million, $8 million, or even more, per year on someone Pat Riley seems to like … sometimes?

Or do you at least explore the possibilities of Gerald Wallace, a Ron Artest trade, or a more cost-effective free-agency move for a Morris Peterson or Ruben Patterson?

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2007/06/why-the-negativ.html

I think that a Mo Williams offseason would be a success....and would make us the Fav out of the east.

The more mocks I read the more discouraged I get.

I like Gabe Pruitt.......

But Thaddeus Young is growing on me...the more I watch him.

KiNG...I have seen a couple of mocks that have Noah (Fla) dropping like a rock...if Law somehow drops past 11 and 12..it could get interesting...

Here is what I have as Law's suitors (All could use Noah):

11. Hawks, 12. Sixers, 14. Clippers (Livingston Injury), 15. Pistons (Billups gone?), 19. Lakers

Can we fade all these teams?

We need to start spreading cocaine rumors about Acie law.

I have dropped Acie Law from all consideration, basically. I just don't see him falling, and every workout that grows. There has to be a reason why he canceled his workout with the #13 Hornets directly after his workout for Atlanta. Was he given a guarantee, or does he simply have no interest playing behind Chris Paul? Well, IMO, the NBA is a draft of trade.. you want to go as high as possible, regardless, because there's always a chance of a deal being pulled off even after you're selected. I don't think he gets by the Clippers, honestly. However, they are extremely interested in Nick Young.

Our best bet:

-Hawks take Horford or Wright; Bucks select Conley
-Hawks fall in love with Crittenton's "potential"
-Nick Young falls right into the laps of the Clippers
-One of the top swings/bigs like Al Thornton drops right into Detroit's hands
-Rodney Stuckey or Acie Law somehow get by Washington and LAL

But truth be told, I think Nick Young will really intrigue New Orleans, and if Detroit passes on Stuckey, Washington will jump right on it in case Arenas is a goner next summer.

I don't think any of those PG prospects will be there (top four). We have to hope that one of the swings like Thad Young falls to us. However, Derrick Byars isn't a bad pick at all.. in fact, he's a pretty safe pick and should contribute in 2006-2007. Expect him to be a solid role player in the mold of a Shane Battier type, but nothing more than maybe a bit more than that. And, at #20, that wouldn't bother me at all. Role players are essential to championship contenders.

Sonics offer Luke Ridnour to Atlanta in exchange for #11 Overall

Interesting enough, the article states that there is another team with a PG on the table for #11. If Seattle moves up, it's probably going to be for Law or Crittenton. However, maybe the other team is guard loaded and/or simply looking to move up for another position? This could be great for the Heat.

Sonics offer Luke Ridnour to Atlanta in exchange for #11 Overall

Interesting enough, the article states that there is another team with a PG on the table for #11. If Seattle moves up, it's probably going to be for Law or Crittenton. However, maybe the other team is guard loaded and/or simply looking to move up for another position? This could be great for the Heat.

There is a very likely chance that the Heat trade the 20th pick tho

There is a very likely chance that the Heat trade the 20th pick tho

You read the latest Heat article wrong. There is no probability of trading or keeping the pick. They have a plan in order, and they are going to wait and see who is there at #20. IMO, if Acie Law or Rodney Stuckey is sitting there, then no way in hell they trade the pick unless a "golden" deal comes into play. It's a wait & see game, really.

Btw, you guys see the latest on the KG fiasco?

Phoenix = Garnett
Atlanta = Amare
Minnesota = #3, #11, & "cap friendly" players

Does Minnesota view Randy Foye as a PG? I think he's more of an undersized SG. Well, Marko Jaric and Troy Hudson suck. Maybe Minnesota would find it smart to wait until next year's draft since they're going to be an awful team this year? Maybe they can dip into the top 3-5 for O.J. Mayo or Derrick Rose. With that said, I like Horford/Wright for Minnesota at #3, Brewer or Green at #7, and instead of Acie Law or Javaris Crittenton.. how about Spencer Hawes at #11? They're going to be awful with that young, inexperienced squad next year, so one would imagine a bid for a top pick in a PG rich draft.

Heat GM Pfund likes to plan for the future, but Riley wants to win now

The last time the Heat drafted for the future, the future never arrived.

Seldom-used Dorell Wright is almost as much of a question mark today as when the athletic forward was taken out of South Kent Prep with the No. 19 selection in 2004.

The last time the Heat drafted for the moment, it wound up with a player with limited upside.

And many question whether 2005 first-round pick Wayne Simien will amount to more than a fringe member of the power rotation.

Thursday night, the Heat will face a similar decision with the 20th selection, when the choice could come down to unproven freshman talents such as the Georgia Tech duo of Thaddeus Young and Javaris Crittenton or polished senior scorers such as Vanderbilt's Derrick Byars and Rice's Morris Almond.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...bjun27,0,2462067.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Back
Top Bottom