Omar happy,Every Ryan Tannehill interception for 2012 article. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar happy,Every Ryan Tannehill interception for 2012 article.

Exclusive behind-the-scenes video of Omar & Armando watching "film":

[video=youtube;RN16Wgp48MI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN16Wgp48MI[/video]

Here's what I saw in some of those picks.

Minor mistakes, major consequences. Then you also spice in some major mistakes.

I see a pick where Brian Hartline falls down on a comeback, which is a timing route that Tannehill has to throw with TRUST. You don't blame that on Ryan Tannehill. Not one iota.

I see one pick, looks TO ME like he's trying to hit Hartline in the flat, but he holds the ball just a tad too long and the pass protection is not cooperating AT ALL so he gets slammed heavily while he's throwing, causing the ball to sail on him and voila...ball ends up looking like it was intended for Rishard Matthews in double coverage and it's picked off. Minor mistake, major consequence.

I see one pick where J.J. Watt steers or stunts right into the passing lane just as the ball is coming and he gets his hands up. I know there are things Tannehill can do to prevent that, but I'm not sure it wouldn't hurt more for him to be over-conscious of that. Sometimes, you just have to chalk that up.

On the other hand, I see two more picks (one another J.J. Swatt) where Tannehill had every reason to know that those passing lanes were being covered at the line. What do you chalk that up to? Inexperience. Youth. Sometimes for a young guy there are only so many things you can process at once.

I see a pick where Tannehill probably should have seen the corner squatting a tad bit aggressively on the square-in, but Legedu Naanee ultimately needs to run through that route and shield the football with his body. Legedu did much worse on that play than Tannehill.

I see another pick where Anthony Fasano runs a poor route against Akeem Ayers and then just plain gets out-muscled for a 50/50 ball that he as a tight end should have won. Perhaps it was a mistake of being slightly over aggressive on Tannehill's part, but Fasano's mistake was much bigger IMO.

I see a pick against Jairus Byrd where Ryan Tannehill had the right idea, he just forgot one slight step. He needed to look off Jairus Byrd and freeze him toward the middle. He forgot to do that, so Byrd had an extra step on the ball, and that's the difference between a big catch and a highlight reel interception.

I see a couple of instances where offensive predictability is measurable. There's a corner squatting on Legedu's route at the beginning. Why is that? Predictability. J.J. Watt's pop-ups he got by predicting the passing lane and being allowed free access to get there. Why was he able to do that? Predictability. Zach Brown's fake-blitz where he dropped back perfectly into the hot read passing lane, how was he able to do that? Because the game planning showed a trend with the Dolphins' hot reads and he was able to predict the passing late of the hot route. Adrian Wilson of the Cardinals squatted on the out route and undercut the passing lane, and how did he do that? Offensive predictability.

Other plays, I see Tannehill just guilty of the thing you see out of a lot of strong armed, aggressive quarterbacks. Over confidence. Trying to squeeze a ball into a tight window. He tries to squeeze a ball in to Hartline against the Jets as he's rolling to the sideline. He did the same exact thing against the Seahawks. He tries to squeeze a ball into a real tight window over the middle to Davone Bess against the Buffalo Bills. Like I said before, he tried to squeeze one into Fasano in tight coverage. To some extent, the ball that sailed on him against the Patriots was over confidence as well, sensed the guy about to hit him but thought he could get the ball where he wanted it to go even with odd leverage and an aborted throwing motion.

That's just a quarterback having too much confidence in his throwing ability and throwing aggressively into tight windows. YOU LIVE WITH THAT, if you want good quarterback play, IMO. Unless you've got Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. That's one of the things that makes them so unique. But they're Hall of Famers. Two of the best ever.
I looked at the overall interceptions, remembered that tannehill went several games in a row without an interception as a rookie, and interception wise only three dolphins quarterbacks had similar stretches, and none of them were rookies. (fielder, griese, and of course pennington).

I was concerned after Arizona but the kid seemed to right the ship and finish the year playing pretty darn good TD/int wise.

Considering what we had at WR other than Hartline and Bess I think he played well and should be much improved this season.

This would have been better served as a Feb,March article,not a pre-camp late July 2013 article,the timing seems out of place.Plus I see Omar's "kill" words in the article.

Uses excuses instead of reasons

Omar's "kill" words in bold

By Omar Kelly
Sun Sentinel
7:22 a.m. EDT, July 25, 2013

Ryan Tannehill can't remain NFL's worst QB on third downs

Ryan Tannehill's supporters have plenty of excuses for why he was a bottom-tier starting quarterback in the NFL last season.

Tannehill was a rookie with 20 college starts at Texas A&M.

Tannehill needed to become familiar with the speed of the NFL game.
Tannehill didn't have the best weapons around him as a rookie.

The Dolphins didn't allow Tannehill to throw many passes in the red zone.
ALL of these excuses are accurate!

I've heard them all, and you've probably used them all to prop up the player South Florida hopes will become the Miami Dolphins' franchise quarterback.

But the excuses aren't important, or relevant for the 2013 season. What's relevant is what the Dolphins' second-year starter is doing to improve his 76.1 passer rating, which had him ranked the 27th best passer in 2012, and how he'll produce a winning record as Miami's starting quarterback.

PLENTY of improvement is needed considering Tannehill was the WORST third down passer in the NFL last season.

On football's MOST CRITICAL DOWN Tannehill completed 85-of-144 (59%) of his passes for 946 yards, throwing three touchdowns and seven interceptions.

-------------------------------------------

You'd think he was talking about a 4th year player:bobdole:

Omar often writes/tweets solid football observations, but they're routinely buried between ridiculous, hypocritical statements, as well as biased opinions he attempts to present as facts. For that reason, I can't take him seriously.

While discussing Tanny's 2012 interception tape, a follower asks, "Is it encouraging that Tannehill only threw 1 interception in his final 5 games?" Omar responds with something similar to, "Maybe if he had won more games."

Haha, seriously? Are we evaluating Tannehill's decision making or his ability to carry an offense on his shoulders? At any given time, he'll change the measurement tool in order to support his agenda.

It's funny to me, because at this time last year, Omar couldn't stop praising Garrard, a player who had a solid career but was clearly on his last legs. Tannehill's already better than that version of DG.

can we forget the fact he threw 4 in one game in his very first start? no?

In the case of a rookie QB, I don't look at the entire final seasons stats to evalute him. I more interested in the progress he shows and whether he got better and better as his experience grew.

I feel he got better later in the season, so to call him the 27th ranked QB may be technically accurate, it does not tell the story of where he is at.

I believe you also have to factor in the poor receiving corp he had around him last year as well.

Best thing to do if you don't like him is stop reading his articles.....we get better more insightful information from CK, nubs etc. if you follow him on twitter, Stop!

Best thing to do if you don't like him is stop reading his articles.....we get better more insightful information from CK, nubs etc. if you follow him on twitter, Stop!
This x10000000000000000000

Stop reading Omar, let his internet hits drop to nil and you will see how quickly he changes his "opinion" .

Folks, its just like Peter King or any other Media Talking Heads. Controversy sells $$ not rose colored glasses.

I like Omar. Not for his disgruntled attitude towards all things QB, but so far, his thoughts and opinions on players seem to be straight on. I think you guys hate on him bc you want him to praise everything/anything phins players do. I appreciate that he tells it as he sees it.

I like Omar. Not for his disgruntled attitude towards all things QB, but so far, his thoughts and opinions on players seem to be straight on. I think you guys hate on him bc you want him to praise everything/anything phins players do. I appreciate that he tells it as he sees it.

the problem is he sees so much of it just plain wrong...

Asking Omar to "report" is one thing and reasonable; asking him to "think" and opine is IMO beyond his mental pay grade... of couse he'd be blindly slurping Garrard, but that's by reflex reaction.

Just wish one of the most prominent papers in the region when it comes to Fins would hire someone with more intellectual firepower and fewer biases (all around)

I looked at the overall interceptions, remembered that tannehill went several games in a row without an interception as a rookie, and interception wise only three dolphins quarterbacks had similar stretches, and none of them were rookies. (fielder, griese, and of course pennington).

He had 1 interception the last 5 games but got sacked 15 times

The only starting quarterbacks in the afc that threw fewer INT's than tannehill did were brady , flacco, manning and schaub. Not too bad for a rookie.

Back
Top Bottom