Omar happy,Every Ryan Tannehill interception for 2012 article. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar happy,Every Ryan Tannehill interception for 2012 article.

The only starting quarterbacks in the afc that threw fewer INT's than tannehill did were brady , flacco, manning and schaub. Not too bad for a rookie.

all playoff qbs that keep you in games...they don't lose em for you...flacco will take a sack or dump a ball a plenty to avoid making a bad decision...manning and brady need no explanation...schaub i think it's fair to say that given how long he's been in the league one could expect more from him at times...

tannehill was a rookie with little to no help... omars just off the mark again

We have a working relationship. Keep in mind, things have been rocky between us in the past and we're not afraid to disagree with each other pretty strongly, but he has his role he plays for the Sun Sentinel and I think once I kind of accepted that perspective on things I started to understand him a little better. I do actually think the pendulum has swung maybe a little bit too far the other way, people hating him for reasons that aren't even good anymore.

Simon and I have done a lot of work for the Sun Sentinel. I don't mind getting along with everyone on staff there. I'm not out to make enemies. Think of me like an Ethan Skolnick. I'm just here to chill and do my work.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Besides, how could I pass up a chance to Rick Roll thousands of people?

To be perfectly honest, if you devoted 10 hours a week to it, I'm quite certain that you would be 1,000% better than Omar at the job of Sun Sentinal Dolphins Beat Reporter. The paper would sell more, get way more hits, push its advertising, and be very impressed with you. We, the Dolphin fans, would be eternally grateful for your consistently high quality and unbiased work. The fact that he didn't even give you credit after basically commanding you to make a video for his job is in extremely poor taste. It just continues to underscore why we are displeased with Omar Kelly and impressed with ckparrothead.

CK, thanks, once again for your excellent work.

Please do not reply to this post nor thank me, as I fully understand your situation in relation to making inroads with the media community and how you cannot do that. Just take this as sincere appreciation for all of the hard work and excellent analysis you do. Thanks CK.

i wish people could see some video of some other high profile/higher rated qbs ints in 2012...and i'm talking about 5 plus year vets and guys making big money...cause you'd see evidence of a whole lot worse decisons with the football...

this is a complete non issue and a waste of time coming off his 2012 performance...shows a complete lack of understanding

To be perfectly honest, if you devoted 10 hours a week to it, I'm quite certain that you would be 1,000% better than Omar at the job of Sun Sentinal Dolphins Beat Reporter. The paper would sell more, get way more hits, push its advertising, and be very impressed with you. We, the Dolphin fans, would be eternally grateful for your consistently high quality and unbiased work. The fact that he didn't even give you credit after basically commanding you to make a video for his job is in extremely poor taste. It just continues to underscore why we are displeased with Omar Kelly and impressed with ckparrothead.

CK, thanks, once again for your excellent work.

Please do not reply to this post nor thank me, as I fully understand your situation in relation to making inroads with the media community and how you cannot do that. Just take this as sincere appreciation for all of the hard work and excellent analysis you do. Thanks CK.

Well said Dig, and agreed. I do feel bad for CK, who puts in a whole lotta time and effort for no credit.

First game wasn't a concern. Three of the last five were. Tannehill was barely above 50% completions in the two games against New England plus the game at San Francisco, with roughly 5.9 yards per attempt in those games. We managed 29 points total.

Most disturbing of all was the opponents weren't exactly in great form. New England basically sleep walked though the first meeting, with Brady inexplicably missing several chances. When we faced the 49ers, Kaepernick wasn't nearly as effective as he became during the playoffs. New England got bored in the finale and took the foot off the gas.

We're not far away from 8-8 but that next level is a considerable leap. That's all I'm trying to say. I'd be more confident in Tannehill if he had demonstrated excellence at some point.

Comparisons to Peyton Manning as a rookie are silly. He was a first tier blue blood, not a projection. Besides, it's not completely valid regarding results alone. Manning started hitting his stride late in that rookie season and was throwing plenty of touchdown passes. I remember it well because I started to bet the Colt games over. Their totals were in the mid to high 30s early in the season when Manning was baffled, then jumped appreciably once the Colts started to hang points. My friends and I won several bets then hesitated in the final game once the total reached into the low 50s. That was too much of an adjustment. It stayed barely under and we felt giddy at our choice. Tannehill put up nothing in his final game as a rookie.

Analysis of Tannehill's interceptions

OK, we all know rookie QB's have their ups and downs, have trouble adjusting to the speed of the game, struggle with inconsistent reading of defenses ... yadda yadda yadda. And, of course, Tannehill only had 19 starts at QB in college and our GM and personnel department thinks 30 is the minimum threshold of experience. So, yeah, Tannehill was always going to make mistakes.

Prior to his being drafted, and through training camp, I expressed a concern that he had tunnelvision and stared down or locked on to his receivers. While that did prove to be a problem, I must say that he was dramatically better at fixing that than I expected. Kudos to Tannehill and our staff for working on that problem. But, many of his mistakes still center around this issue.

Here is an analysis of each of the 13 interceptions. These are all my humble opinion analyzing each play. Reasonable minds may differ, but here's what I saw.

1. Texans: Legadu Naanee quits on his route. WR mistake, Naanee later cut and not picked up by any other NFL team.

2. Texans: JJ Watt swats the ball up in the air for Brian Cushing to intercept. He did a lot of that last year.

3. Texans: JJ Watt blocks another ball at the line of scrimmage for a different teamamte to intercept. He blocked so many at the LOS he he later earned the nickname "JJ Swatt."

4. Jets: On the last play of the 1st half Reggie Bush goes down injured. On the first drive of the 2nd half Tannehill makes a rookie mistake and tries to do too much. QB bad decision, poor vision.

5. Cardinals: Davone Bess makes a very slow cut outside and Tannehill stares him down. Bad combo, as it is very easy for the LB to see the play develop, read Tannehill's eyes, and easily undercut the slow Bess's route. This is one of the reasons Bess is no longer a Dolphin, because his lack of speed makes it easy for defenses to intercept against him. The pass was accurately thrown, but a poor decision by Tannehill to throw that ball fueled by lack of vision to see the LB underneath and Tannehill not looking off the defense. Classic rookie mistake. QB, bad decision, poor vision, staring down a receiver.

6. Cardinals: Timing throw to Hartline on the sideline. Between the time Tannehill commits to the throw and it arrives, Hartline fell down, easy pick for the aware DB. When Andrew Luck makes this mistake, the DB's drop the ball … but only a couple times last season did anyone drop a potential Tannehill INT. Bad luck, but not Tannehill's fault. Probably not anyone's fault, but if blame must be assessed, it goes to Hartline for falling down.

7. Titans: What a horrible game. Tannehill simply fails to see the LB in the flat, and much like the Cardinal's/Bess interception, it's an easy pick for the Titans. QB's fault, bad decision fueled by poor vision. He simply should never have made that throw. Period.

8. Titans: This is a stinging INT. Tannehill threads the needle and literally hits Fasano between the numbers in the chest, and it bounces off Fasano's chest into the LB's arms … of course HE makes the INT. No ability to separate from the LB, comedically poor execution, and is on the ground unable to tackle the LB. This play is probably one of the reasons we didn't resign Fasano. TE's fault.

9. Titans: Simple underneath throw to the LB. QB's fault, bad decision fueled by poor vision. He doesn't see the LB underneath, so he doesn't look him off, quickly locates and locks onto the RB and the LB simply steps under and intercepts the ball. Again, if this had been Luck or Griffin, the LB drops the ball, but this guy made the INT. QB's fault, tunnelvision, bad decision. Mercifully this game is over.

10. Bills: Another INT because Davone Bess is slow and Tannehill tries to force it into Bess deep with double coverage. Facepalm. Classic rookie bad decsion. QB's fault, bad decision. Some people call this bad deep ball accuracy, but it's not. The problem here is 100% that Bess NEVER STOOD A CHANCE against double coverage deep, and Tannehill made a bad decision to throw that ball. There was no good spot to throw it.

11. Bills: Watch this one closely, because IMHO, it's one of the very few inaccurate throws that caused an interception. Lot's of turbulence across the middle, but there is a tiny window to thread the needle and make this a completion, but there's no margin for error. Tannehill threw one of his extremely rare inaccurate throws, late accross the middle and behind the receiver, missed that window, and caused an INT. QB's fault, inaccurate throw.

12. Seahawks: Lightning struck twice? This may be another inaccurate throw behind the WR that caused an INT. But, there is also coverage underneath that Tannehill is trying to avoid and may have been throwing a back-shoulder throw that Bess didn't read, so it's not certain whether it was inaccruate or mis-communication.

13. Patriots: Bad decision. Tannehill has time, but chooses to throw to a WR (Rishard Matthews maybe?) who is tightly double-covered. QB's fault, bad decision.

To recap:
1. WR quit
2. JJ Swatt
3. JJ Swatt
4. QB bad decision, hero throw
5. QB bad decision, vision
6. WR falls down
7. QB bad decision, vision
8. TE ball bounces off chest
9. QB bad decision, vision
10. QB bad decision, Bess long
11. QB inaccurate throw
12. QB inaccurate throw (possible mis-communication)
13. QB bad decision

So, of those we have 5 bad decisions, 3 of which were poor vision, 1 was an attempt to put the team on his shoulders and do too much. We have 2 inaccurate throws, 1 of which may have been Bess misreading a back-shoulder throw. Those 7 are all on Tannehill. Sure, he didn't get the good luck of DB's dropping his potential INT's much, but all 7 of those were the rook's fault.

Then 2 more were JJ Watt blocks at the line of scrimmage that were intercepted. He did that a lot last year, but it's debatable whether that's Tannehill's fault or not. I'm of the mind that if it continues it's his fault, and if it doesn't, it was probably not. But, clearly OL had a tough time midsection-punching JJ Watt and keeping him down and out of the passing lanes all year.

And finally, 3 were not Tannehill's fault. These include Naanee quitting on a route over the middle, Hartline falling down when the ball was in the air, and the ball bouncing off of Fasano's chest into the arms of the LB.

Looking at the current roster, Naanee and Fasano are gone, and Bess (who was the target for 3 INT's) are gone. Hartline, who only had 1 INT despite putting up big numbers and consistently making the tightrope catch along the sideline, returns. We added Wallace to stretch the defense and give Tannehill some easy throws. We added Keller, who while he can't block and isn't a size mismatch in the red zone, should be able to create separation and give Tannehill a consistent target over the middle. Also, we added Gibson, who is bigger, faster, more athletic and more physical than Bess was. All of these moves should help Tannehill get some less-difficult throws compared to last year.

All in all, we did pretty darn well for a rebuilding team. That is in no small part attributable to Tannehill performing very well for a rookie without much collegiate experience. Also, a quick look at his INT's reveals a guy who doesn't really make the same mistakes repeatedly. Yes, he needs to work on his peripheral vision, looking off defenders, and like every rookie needs to improve his decision making. But, for a guy with one of the 3 worst receiving corps in the NFL (along with St. Louis and Clevland), he showed fantastic accuracy and much better decision making than I expected. He's still developing, but I was extremely impressed. To me, Tannehill projects to be a guy who doesn't make many mistakes. Omar wants to hate on Tannehill, but when I look at this, I see a guy learning and improving. It's no surprise that he had only 1 INT in his last 5 games ... and I'm not surprised.

First game wasn't a concern. Three of the last five were. Tannehill was barely above 50% completions in the two games against New England plus the game at San Francisco, with roughly 5.9 yards per attempt in those games. We managed 29 points total.

Most disturbing of all was the opponents weren't exactly in great form. New England basically sleep walked though the first meeting, with Brady inexplicably missing several chances. When we faced the 49ers, Kaepernick wasn't nearly as effective as he became during the playoffs. New England got bored in the finale and took the foot off the gas.

We're not far away from 8-8 but that next level is a considerable leap. That's all I'm trying to say. I'd be more confident in Tannehill if he had demonstrated excellence at some point.

Comparisons to Peyton Manning as a rookie are silly. He was a first tier blue blood, not a projection. Besides, it's not completely valid regarding results alone. Manning started hitting his stride late in that rookie season and was throwing plenty of touchdown passes. I remember it well because I started to bet the Colt games over. Their totals were in the mid to high 30s early in the season when Manning was baffled, then jumped appreciably once the Colts started to hang points. My friends and I won several bets then hesitated in the final game once the total reached into the low 50s. That was too much of an adjustment. It stayed barely under and we felt giddy at our choice. Tannehill put up nothing in his final game as a rookie.

Awsi, as far as weapons (rb, wr, te), where do you think we ranked last season? I'd rank us in the bottom three.

As pointed out previously, Reggie Wayne's TD and yardage production were roughly the statistical differences between Tannehill and Luck.

i fully realize peyton was making more plays as a rookie for more points than tanny...absolutely...but he still threw 27 picks...call it silly call it whatever you want but tanny threw less than half that...with crap to work with...

just a fact...

i fully realize peyton was making more plays as a rookie for more points than tanny...absolutely...but he still threw 27 picks...call it silly call it whatever you want but tanny threw less than half that...with crap to work with...

just a fact...
1998 peyton had... pro bowler marshal faulk.... 1300 yards rushing 6 tds, 900 yard receiving 4 tds
a 26 year old marvin Harrison, 27 year old dilger, underrated marcus pollard, and a Terrence small who put up a respectable season and added 7 tds.

OK, we all know rookie QB's have their ups and downs, have trouble adjusting to the speed of the game, struggle with inconsistent reading of defenses ... yadda yadda yadda. And, of course, Tannehill only had 19 starts at QB in college and our GM and personnel department thinks 30 is the minimum threshold of experience. So, yeah, Tannehill was always going to make mistakes.

Prior to his being drafted, and through training camp, I expressed a concern that he had tunnelvision and stared down or locked on to his receivers. While that did prove to be a problem, I must say that he was dramatically better at fixing that than I expected. Kudos to Tannehill and our staff for working on that problem. But, many of his mistakes still center around this issue.

Here is an analysis of each of the 13 interceptions. These are all my humble opinion analyzing each play. Reasonable minds may differ, but here's what I saw.

1. Texans: Legadu Naanee quits on his route. WR mistake, Naanee later cut and not picked up by any other NFL team.

2. Texans: JJ Watt swats the ball up in the air for Brian Cushing to intercept. He did a lot of that last year.

3. Texans: JJ Watt blocks another ball at the line of scrimmage for a different teamamte to intercept. He blocked so many at the LOS he he later earned the nickname "JJ Swatt."

4. Jets: On the last play of the 1st half Reggie Bush goes down injured. On the first drive of the 2nd half Tannehill makes a rookie mistake and tries to do too much. QB bad decision, poor vision.

5. Cardinals: Davone Bess makes a very slow cut outside and Tannehill stares him down. Bad combo, as it is very easy for the LB to see the play develop, read Tannehill's eyes, and easily undercut the slow Bess's route. This is one of the reasons Bess is no longer a Dolphin, because his lack of speed makes it easy for defenses to intercept against him. The pass was accurately thrown, but a poor decision by Tannehill to throw that ball fueled by lack of vision to see the LB underneath and Tannehill not looking off the defense. Classic rookie mistake. QB, bad decision, poor vision, staring down a receiver.

6. Cardinals: Timing throw to Hartline on the sideline. Between the time Tannehill commits to the throw and it arrives, Hartline fell down, easy pick for the aware DB. When Andrew Luck makes this mistake, the DB's drop the ball … but only a couple times last season did anyone drop a potential Tannehill INT. Bad luck, but not Tannehill's fault. Probably not anyone's fault, but if blame must be assessed, it goes to Hartline for falling down.

7. Titans: What a horrible game. Tannehill simply fails to see the LB in the flat, and much like the Cardinal's/Bess interception, it's an easy pick for the Titans. QB's fault, bad decision fueled by poor vision. He simply should never have made that throw. Period.

8. Titans: This is a stinging INT. Tannehill threads the needle and literally hits Fasano between the numbers in the chest, and it bounces off Fasano's chest into the LB's arms … of course HE makes the INT. No ability to separate from the LB, comedically poor execution, and is on the ground unable to tackle the LB. This play is probably one of the reasons we didn't resign Fasano. TE's fault.

9. Titans: Simple underneath throw to the LB. QB's fault, bad decision fueled by poor vision. He doesn't see the LB underneath, so he doesn't look him off, quickly locates and locks onto the RB and the LB simply steps under and intercepts the ball. Again, if this had been Luck or Griffin, the LB drops the ball, but this guy made the INT. QB's fault, tunnelvision, bad decision. Mercifully this game is over.

10. Bills: Another INT because Davone Bess is slow and Tannehill tries to force it into Bess deep with double coverage. Facepalm. Classic rookie bad decsion. QB's fault, bad decision. Some people call this bad deep ball accuracy, but it's not. The problem here is 100% that Bess NEVER STOOD A CHANCE against double coverage deep, and Tannehill made a bad decision to throw that ball. There was no good spot to throw it.

11. Bills: Watch this one closely, because IMHO, it's one of the very few inaccurate throws that caused an interception. Lot's of turbulence across the middle, but there is a tiny window to thread the needle and make this a completion, but there's no margin for error. Tannehill threw one of his extremely rare inaccurate throws, late accross the middle and behind the receiver, missed that window, and caused an INT. QB's fault, inaccurate throw.

12. Seahawks: Lightning struck twice? This may be another inaccurate throw behind the WR that caused an INT. But, there is also coverage underneath that Tannehill is trying to avoid and may have been throwing a back-shoulder throw that Bess didn't read, so it's not certain whether it was inaccruate or mis-communication.

13. Patriots: Bad decision. Tannehill has time, but chooses to throw to a WR (Rishard Matthews maybe?) who is tightly double-covered. QB's fault, bad decision.

To recap:
1. WR quit
2. JJ Swatt
3. JJ Swatt
4. QB bad decision, hero throw
5. QB bad decision, vision
6. WR falls down
7. QB bad decision, vision
8. TE ball bounces off chest
9. QB bad decision, vision
10. QB bad decision, Bess long
11. QB inaccurate throw
12. QB inaccurate throw (possible mis-communication)
13. QB bad decision

So, of those we have 5 bad decisions, 3 of which were poor vision, 1 was an attempt to put the team on his shoulders and do too much. We have 2 inaccurate throws, 1 of which may have been Bess misreading a back-shoulder throw. Those 7 are all on Tannehill. Sure, he didn't get the good luck of DB's dropping his potential INT's much, but all 7 of those were the rook's fault.

Then 2 more were JJ Watt blocks at the line of scrimmage that were intercepted. He did that a lot last year, but it's debatable whether that's Tannehill's fault or not. I'm of the mind that if it continues it's his fault, and if it doesn't, it was probably not. But, clearly OL had a tough time midsection-punching JJ Watt and keeping him down and out of the passing lanes all year.

And finally, 3 were not Tannehill's fault. These include Naanee quitting on a route over the middle, Hartline falling down when the ball was in the air, and the ball bouncing off of Fasano's chest into the arms of the LB.

Looking at the current roster, Naanee and Fasano are gone, and Bess (who was the target for 3 INT's) are gone. Hartline, who only had 1 INT despite putting up big numbers and consistently making the tightrope catch along the sideline, returns. We added Wallace to stretch the defense and give Tannehill some easy throws. We added Keller, who while he can't block and isn't a size mismatch in the red zone, should be able to create separation and give Tannehill a consistent target over the middle. Also, we added Gibson, who is bigger, faster, more athletic and more physical than Bess was. All of these moves should help Tannehill get some less-difficult throws compared to last year.

All in all, we did pretty darn well for a rebuilding team. That is in no small part attributable to Tannehill performing very well for a rookie without much collegiate experience. Also, a quick look at his INT's reveals a guy who doesn't really make the same mistakes repeatedly. Yes, he needs to work on his peripheral vision, looking off defenders, and like every rookie needs to improve his decision making. But, for a guy with one of the 3 worst receiving corps in the NFL (along with St. Louis and Clevland), he showed fantastic accuracy and much better decision making than I expected. He's still developing, but I was extremely impressed. To me, Tannehill projects to be a guy who doesn't make many mistakes. Omar wants to hate on Tannehill, but when I look at this, I see a guy learning and improving. It's no surprise that he had only 1 INT in his last 5 games ... and I'm not surprised.
Interception 13 isn't a ball going to Matthews. Tannehill is trying to hit Hartline on the drag route, but he floats the ball because his throwing motion is interrupted.

Interception 13 isn't a ball going to Matthews. Tannehill is trying to hit Hartline on the drag route, but he floats the ball because his throwing motion is interrupted.

Watching the video that is what I thought also...I have a hard time believing he was going to Mathews considering the db leverage on him....

I think the ball I disliked the most was the force throw at buffalo to bess in the middle of the field on a potential last game winning drive...I say that because that was the one where I felt like he tried to force the ball into too much traffic...there was 3 defenders in that area he has to throw that elsewhere given the coverage...just a kid trying to make a play and forcing it...

Last edited by a moderator:
1998 peyton had... pro bowler marshal faulk.... 1300 yards rushing 6 tds, 900 yard receiving 4 tds
a 26 year old marvin Harrison, 27 year old dilger, underrated marcus pollard, and a Terrence small who put up a respectable season and added 7 tds.

Thanks for this...Marshall Faulk and Marvin damn Harrison in their primes...enough said

Possibly, but look at the last 2 angles of that interception. The Patriots LB was bearing down on him no doubt, but it appears the LB makes contact using upper body and his left arm at approximately the same time. While it is certainly a bang-bang play, the last couple of angles appear to show Tannehill getting the ball out a tiny bit before the LB makes contact. It's a close call, but to me it doesn't look like the contact altered the throwing motion. Perhaps the urgency of the impending hit did, but that's tough to judge. Regardless, in my book that play is on Tannehill.

If we're going to give him credit for standing in the pocket in the face of pressure, which I definitely consider a strength of his, then we need to assess the consequences of those actions as well. Bad decision to rush the throw, bad decision to force the throw instead of taking the sack or throwing it away, either way I'm comfortable calling it a bad decision. But, I still give him credit for fearlessly trying to make a play. I admire that quality in a leader, and I suspect his teammates do as well.

Back
Top Bottom