Prisco's Top 100 players: Ranking all 32 NFL starting quarterbacks | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Prisco's Top 100 players: Ranking all 32 NFL starting quarterbacks

I'm sorry, but I thought you lived in the real world? Who exactly could Miami trade, sign or draft to give Tannehill some actual competition?

Your answer is: no one. Which is exactly my point. The team had no choice but to stick with Tannehill this season.

Did you not see Philly move up FROM MIAMI'S DRAFT POSITION to get Carson Wentz? There couldn't be a more obvious comparison. The two teams changed coaches in the off season. One team's new coach has talked consistently about how much he likes the incumbent QB and how they are going to give him the freedom, weapons, protection and support he needs. The other team moved up in the draft to get a QB.

Jesus, man. This just isn't that difficult to figure out.

To be honest...and I'm one of the bigger "this team has never put Tannehill in a position to win" advocates on this board...it isn't that ignorant. Dude can do some absolutely head-turning things that 90% of the QB in this league simply don't have the ability to do, (you know how many times he's rolled to his left and thrown strikes, and how damn difficult that is to do?) but once all the ducks are in a row, he needs to produce. He just does. No matter what occurs, a winning QB needs to overcome SOME amount of adversity and succeed. I feel confident that if he's given the proper rein, protection, and scheme, he can and will tear things up. But if he falls flat? Well..its time to start looking. That doesn't mean start Matt Moore, it just means to start looking toward a future that doesn't include Tannehill.

I have no doubt that if he plays like he did for the majority of 2014, he (and the team) will be fine. I think he will be even better than that. I'm not expecting 5000 yards and 50 TDs. 4400 yards and 30-35 TDs will be just fine. That is a modest increase over 2014. Combine that with a better running game and a defense that doesn't collapse and we've got something.

Whatever they are they must have been good enough to allow the QB to have the numbers he did.

Once again, I prefer to judge players by THEIR play. I'm not naive enough to think that every player on a 13-3 team is equally good.

Well said brother. This endless debate about where our QB ranks is meaningless. He's our guy this year so get behind him.

After the season is over you can rank him if you must.

To be honest, I don't care if other get behind him or not. Just don't tell me that I shouldn't be supporting him.

Did you not see Philly move up FROM MIAMI'S DRAFT POSITION to get Carson Wentz? There couldn't be a more obvious comparison. The two teams changed coaches in the off season. One team's new coach has talked consistently about how much he likes the incumbent QB and how they are going to give him the freedom, weapons, protection and support he needs. The other team moved up in the draft to get a QB.

Jesus, man. This just isn't that difficult to figure out.

Eagles have a different situation than the Dolphins. They are completely starting new and needed badly to inject some excitement into the fan base there by drafting Wents. Dolphins did all that promoting with the new jerseys and Tannehill as the future. They don't want to give up on him. And in my opinion, the only way you replace Tannehill is if there is a major upgrade available at QB. None of the QBs in that draft IMO were huge upgrades over RT.

Eagles have a different situation than the Dolphins. They are completely starting new and needed badly to inject some excitement into the fan base there by drafting Wents. Dolphins did all that promoting with the new jerseys and Tannehill as the future. They don't want to give up on him. And in my opinion, the only way you replace Tannehill is if there is a major upgrade available at QB. None of the QBs in that draft IMO are huge upgrades over RT.

I don't think jerseys have much to do with it but I'm not sure how theres people who don't see Miami was stuck with Tannehill, atleast through this season.

If I am Adam Gase, coming to Miami, I'd have to believe he looked at Tannehill as a "positive reason" as to why he chose the Dolphins.

But at the same time, you'd also come in wondering why on earth did the previous staff hold him back so much when it comes to control of the offense.

That's for Gase and his staff to figure out and not be so incompetent as to completely micromanage him. Either this guy has it or he doesn't . . . but playing the game like you can get anywhere without answering that question was probably the biggest mistake of the Philbin regime. 2016 NFL doesn't allow for you to just have a QB who can follow a playbook . . .you need a guy who can make changes on the fly predicated on what the defense is showing and improvise when the play doesn't go accordingly . . . . Going into year 5, we don't know exactly where we stand with Tannehill and that aspect of his game . . . and sadly fault the coaches for not answering that during his first 4 years.

I don't think jerseys have much to do with it but I'm not sure how theres people who don't see Miami was stuck with Tannehill, atleast through this season.

What I meant was. They paraded Tannehill as the next great QB with Griese, Marino and RT on stage. The front office doesn't want to see that fail.

I'm referring to the seven games the cornerstones of the Dolphins' offensive line - left tackle Branden Albert, center Mike Pouncey, and right tackle Ja'Wuan James - actually started and finished a game together.

We're talking about the games where Albert's right knee was healthy, Pouncey's hip and foot wasn't an issue, and the period early in his career where James didn't miss more than half the season with a foot injury.

During those seven games the Dolphins managed a 6-1 record.

In 2014 the Dolphins beat Chicago (27-14) and Jacksonville (27-13) on the road, pummeled San Diego (37-0) and the one loss was to Green Bay (27-24) on a last-second play where the defense (cough, cough Philip Wheeler) let a victory escape the team's grasp.

So in games where Albert, Pouncey and James started and finished in 2014 the Dolphins were 3-1.

Flip the page to 2015 and the Dolphins produced a 3-0 record in games Albert, Pouncey and James started and finished the contests.

Miami beat Washington 17-10 in the season opener courtesy of Jarvis Landry's punt return for a touchdown. The Dolphins destroyed Tennessee 38-10 on the road in Dan Campbell's first game as interim head coach, and Miami pummeled Houston 44-26.

James suffered his foot injury in Miami's lost to New England the next week.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...roof-ryan-tannehill-perfo-20160405-story.html

let's look at those games:

2014:
beat Chicago who finished 5-11, O scored 27 pts, D allowed 14
beat jax who finished 3-13, O scored 13 pts, D allowed 13
beat SD 37-0, total team demolition. SD was decent team. O scored 27, D allowed 0.
lost to GB 27-24. You can blame the D all you want but the O blew this game, they gave a high powered GB O a chance. they had the ball up 24-20 w/ a chance to run out the clock. basically one more 1st down would have ended it. Instead they punted and gave Rodgers good FP to win it.

2015:
beat Washington 17-10. O scored 10 pts, D allowed 10 and while Wash made the playoffs they were struggling early w/ a 2-4/3-5/4-6/5-7 start before they got hot in that weak division.
crushed Tennessee 38-10, this was after revitalizing coaching change against worst team in the league. O scored 31, D allowed 10.
crushed Houston 44-26. still riding high w/ the coaching change. O scored 37, D allowed 26 all in garbage time. that loss dropped Hou to 2-5, like Washington they were struggling at the time.

In the 6 wins they beat one team that was playing well at the time and the D allowed 12.2 PPG which included the garbage time 26 against Houston. I think this had more to do w/ schedule and the way the D played than the healthy O. In 2 of those 6 games the O scored 13 or less.

It's a nice stat to look at but we have to dig deeper. I am not trying to take anything away but it's misleading thinking w/ a healthy Ol all of a sudden you go on a tear and have a great offense. Your O averaged 24 PPG which is a nice # but not spectacular. 3 of the ones were total blowouts where everything went perfect, how often does that really happen? Most games you need to grind out to win like the GB or Washington games. you won one and lost one of those and the one you won you needed a punt return TD in the 4th qtr as the O only scored 10 pts.

any O and QB should be better w/ good health around them but injuries are part of the game and teams need to overcome. Your Ol looks very good on paper but who knows what happens this fall? Our OL was not very good last year, we scored 24 PPG for the season w/ that struggling OL.

I have no doubt w/ reasonable health the 2016 Miami O will be better w/ Gase but most games are close, will they continue to struggle as an O in big spots in close games? maybe it is as simple as a healthy OL? maybe not, we shall see.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Even if I were to agree with you, I prefer to live in the real world. The Dolphins don't employ any of those QBs. Nor are any better QBs falling like rain. Tannehill is the guy. I think he is plenty good enough. I'd rather complete the job of building a good team and coaching staff than flail around taking stabs at other QBs. Thankfully, the team agrees with me.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

I wouldn't argue with you ranking him at 15. I don't think there is much difference between most of the QBs in the 8 - 15 range.

all non dolphin fans are thankful the team agrees with you too.

I'm rooting for him but this is the third year in a row we've said this

Well of course we have we are dolphins fans, we are biased. Ultimately though we set too high of standards, with how raw tannehill was considered coming out, he probably should of sat for 2-3 years if we had a good coaching staff. He's showed flashes so naturally we want to see that consistently but i dont think that was realistic given not only readiness but also the oline around him.

2014:
beat SD 37-0, total team demolition. SD was decent team. O scored 27, D allowed 0.
lost to GB 27-24. You can blame the D all you want but the O blew this game, they gave a high powered GB O a chance. they had the ball up 24-20 w/ a chance to run out the clock. basically one more 1st down would have ended it. Instead they punted and gave Rodgers good FP to win it.

2015:
beat Washington 17-10. O scored 10 pts, D allowed 10 and while Wash made the playoffs they were struggling early w/ a 2-4/3-5/4-6/5-7 start before they got hot in that weak division.
crushed Tennessee 38-10, this was after revitalizing coaching change against worst team in the league. O scored 31, D allowed 10.
crushed Houston 44-26. still riding high w/ the coaching change. O scored 37, D allowed 26 all in garbage time. that loss dropped Hou to 2-5, like Washington they were struggling at the time.

In the 6 wins they beat one team that was playing well at the time and the D allowed 12.2 PPG which included the garbage time 26 against Houston. I think this had more to do w/ schedule and the way the D played than the healthy O. In 2 of those 6 games the O scored 13 or less.

It's a nice stat to look at but we have to dig deeper. I am not trying to take anything away but it's misleading thinking w/ a healthy Ol all of a sudden you go on a tear and have a great offense. Your O averaged 24 PPG which is a nice # but not spectacular. 3 of the ones were total blowouts where everything went perfect, how often does that really happen? Most games you need to grind out to win like the GB or Washington games. you won one and lost one of those and the one you won you needed a punt return TD in the 4th qtr as the O only scored 10 pts.

any O and QB should be better w/ good health around them but injuries are part of the game and teams need to overcome. Your Ol looks very good on paper but who knows what happens this fall? Our OL was not very good last year, we scored 24 PPG for the season w/ that struggling OL.

I have no doubt w/ reasonable health the 2016 Miami O will be better w/ Gase but most games are close, will they continue to struggle as an O in big spots in close games? maybe it is as simple as a healthy OL? maybe not, we shall see.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Dolphins averaged 19 points a game last season. We should score more this year.

2014:

2015:

Oh, look QB analytics that defy the record? How come you never acknowledged these as fact when you were still contending that Sanchez was a starting QB, let alone a better option than Kaepernik?

24vmemv.jpg

If I am Adam Gase, coming to Miami, I'd have to believe he looked at Tannehill as a "positive reason" as to why he chose the Dolphins.

But at the same time, you'd also come in wondering why on earth did the previous staff hold him back so much when it comes to control of the offense.

That's for Gase and his staff to figure out and not be so incompetent as to completely micromanage him. Either this guy has it or he doesn't . . . but playing the game like you can get anywhere without answering that question was probably the biggest mistake of the Philbin regime. 2016 NFL doesn't allow for you to just have a QB who can follow a playbook . . .you need a guy who can make changes on the fly predicated on what the defense is showing and improvise when the play doesn't go accordingly . . . . Going into year 5, we don't know exactly where we stand with Tannehill and that aspect of his game . . . and sadly fault the coaches for not answering that during his first 4 years.

Pretty sure he had his answer, which is why he wanted to draft Carr in the first round.

Back
Top Bottom