Report - Landry deal close | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report - Landry deal close

*Best news you could hear.

I'll stick with the talent knowing we're going to be fine salary cap-wise. That contract has been the fodder of cap-obsessers since we signed him and it simply hasn't panned out that way. Just like the contract we eventually sign Landry too. I have no doubt we'll hear about how it's going to break us for years, no matter how much it's for.
But we are not fine salary cap-wise. We maxed out our salary cap and what do we have to show for it? A non-playoff year?

Sorry, we could attain the same results with half the salary.

That's my main point, we've paid for talent and we have nothing to show for it. Continuing to pour money into a non-playoff roster that is not improving is insanity.

What do we have to show for Suh?

What legendary results have been returned for one of the most expensive players during his contract?

Suh is the elephant in the room. Stop ignoring him.

But we are not fine salary cap-wise. We maxed out our salary cap and what do we have to show for it? A non-playoff year?

Sorry, we could attain the same results with half the salary.

That's my main point, we've paid for talent and we have nothing to show for it. Continuing to pour money into a non-playoff roster that is not improving is insanity.

What do we have to show for Suh?

What legendary results have been returned for one of the most expensive players during his contract?

Suh is the elephant in the room. Stop ignoring him.

We nearly (if you consider $7.5 million "nearly") maxed out our salary cap because we signed a veteran backup to a one year deal out of desperation. How did we do that? By not actually being in the ever-foretold salary cap hell. Sorry, you were wrong about that.

And no, you most certainly could not have obtained the same results with the scrubs we tend to opt for and some, like you, are still pining for. Your anger is misplaced. The problem, quite clearly, is that we failed to add any other talent around him. Just the very scrub type players many on here long for, the cheap ass UDFAs that make our hearts all warm and fuzzy and ****. It was a failure in drafting, mostly.

This isn't the NBA. One player alone isn't going to turn a generally **** team into a SB contender, even at QB (Luck). They provide a foundation on which to build a roster. You still gotta build that roster. Suh's salary, despite all the naysaying, didn't prevent that. Piss-poor roster management, primarily drafting, did.

2 things.

**** no to football on Wednesday. Thursday games are a bad enough product as is.

Secondly, while viewership may be “down” revenue is still increasing at a constant and consistent rate. NFL battled a highly dramatized election with viewership numbers mimicing that of the previous election year.

I will say that the NFL should stop relying so heavily on traditional media as an avenue for distributing its product. They are way behind the times in that respect.

The NFL didn't suffer from politics in the press. The NFL suffered from the politics and social policies on the field.

The NFL has an image problem because the NFL has forgotten to play football. Remove Trump and the problems still exist.

They can still protest the government and stand for the anthem at the same time. Disrespecting the flag and anthem is not the same as protesting the government. The flag and anthem pays tribute to an idea. An idea that needs participation in order to continually improve . While never perfect, it offers the opportunity to become perfect.

Keep the politics off the field and use their personal time to protest. jJ Watt raised millions in relief efforts. THAT is what the proper use of their personal podium can do . Stand for the flag, play football and the ratings return.

They may disagree with the government, but the flag and what it stands for protects their right to disagree. That is worth standing for and showing respect.

Last edited:
We nearly (if you consider $7.5 million "nearly") maxed out our salary cap because we signed a veteran backup to a one year deal out of desperation. How did we do that? By not actually being in the ever-foretold salary cap hell. Sorry, you were wrong about that.

And no, you most certainly could not have obtained the same results with the scrubs we tend to opt for and some, like you, are still pining for. Your anger is misplaced. The problem, quite clearly, is that we failed to add any other talent around him. Just the very scrub type players many on here long for, the cheap *** UDFAs that make our hearts all warm and fuzzy and ****. It was a failure in drafting, mostly.

This isn't the NBA. One player alone isn't going to turn a generally **** team into a SB contender, even at QB (Luck). They provide a foundation on which to build a roster. You still gotta build that roster. Suh's salary, despite all the naysaying, didn't prevent that. Piss-poor roster management, primarily drafting, did.

Your post and assessment of me are grossly misplaced. Before you start applying your agenda to me, get your facts straight about what I said

I said we maxed out our salary cap . I didn't say we were in salary cap hell.

But you were right with your analogy that one player alone isn't going to turn a team into a SB contender. SO STOP PAYING THEM LIKE THEY WILL.

Name one DT making elite QB money in the modern era that was the reason his team won the SB? I'm waiting.

Suh's contract is an albatross.

PIss poor roster management, I agree. Starts with Suh.

I wasn't pining for scrubs. I said we could have achieved the same non-playoff results with half the salary. It's called effective drafting. Research before you speak.

And yes, Suh's contract HAS prevented effective roster building. Our entire D is built around Suh and his contract. Because his contract restricts the pieces we can add.

Your anger is misplaced. Because I'm not angry. I'm tired of paying Suh for non-results. Be certain of your accuracy before you attack a fan.

they kept Stills, so I don't see why not. You have 3-4 WR's under 25. Just need an offensive plan and a qb to think vertical. There aren't any teams with enough cover guys to stop them as a unit. Add a TE and we can be more deadly. Again, need to think vertical, not checking down.

yeah, of course, the 4th most accurate long ball passer in the league last season he suited up ain't gonna cut it.. Insist on one of the top 3

giphy.gif

Your post and assessment of me are grossly misplaced. Before you start applying your agenda to me, get your facts straight about what I said

I said we maxed out our salary cap . I didn't say we were in salary cap hell.

But you were right with your analogy that one player alone isn't going to turn a team into a SB contender. SO STOP PAYING THEM LIKE THEY WILL.

Name one DT making elite QB money in the modern era that was the reason his team won the SB? I'm waiting.

Suh's contract is an albatross.

PIss poor roster management, I agree. Starts with Suh.

I wasn't pining for scrubs. I said we could have achieved the same non-playoff results with half the salary. It's called effective drafting. Research before you speak.

And yes, Suh's contract HAS prevented effective roster building. Our entire D is built around Suh and his contract. Because his contract restricts the pieces we can add.

Your anger is misplaced. Because I'm not angry. I'm tired of paying Suh for non-results. Be certain of your accuracy before you attack a fan.

Well, that's easy, Reggie White was an integral part of their SB win. You're going to stick by that thought that you only pay players that are going to single-handedly win a championship, aren't you. Good luck with that. Pretty much can't sign any top talent with that logic, even in-house.

And we didn't max out our salary cap. We were still able to go out and overpay (actually overpay) for a veteran QB out of desperation. That's not a move you can make with a maxed out cap. We would have rolled with Moore.

And he wasn't paid like he alone would bring a SB championship, he was paid like the top FA defensive star that was and is. You're just pissed to see somebody making that much money. That's really what it boils down to. It drives people nuts despite the fact that it didn't impact them personally and it didn't impact the team's ability to build a winning team outside of making it easier (yet not guaranteed because of shitty management).

Suh didn't impact our ability to draft, or lack thereof. Not sure where you're going with that statement. Makes no sense. He also didn't prevent us from roster-building. We clearly still had the ability to sign FAs, we just chose shitty ones like Kiko and Maxwell. His contract didn't hinder that at all. And even if your statement was accurate, which it clearly isn't, wouldn't you prefer that? Why are you advocating for paying star FAs when you're angry about doing that exact thing with Suh? Or are you not advocating for signing star FAs, just mediocre and garbage ones? Can't really have it both ways.

We're getting the results we paid for with Suh. He's one of the best in the game. We're getting the results we paid for from the rest of the roster as well. UDFAs are usually pretty cheap.

Prepare to be angry about "overpaying" Landry. I have more bad news for you, he won't single-handedly bring us a SB either.

The NFL didn't suffer from politics in the press. The NFL suffered from the politics and social policies on the field.

The NFL has an image problem because the NFL has forgotten to play football. Remove Trump and the problems still exist.

They can still protest the government and stand for the anthem at the same time. Disrespecting the flag and anthem is not the same as protesting the government. The flag and anthem pays tribute to an idea. An idea that needs participation in order to continually improve . While never perfect, it offers the opportunity to become perfect.

Keep the politics off the field and use their personal time to protest. jJ Watt raised millions in relief efforts. THAT is what the proper use of their personal podium can do . Stand for the flag, play football and the ratings return.

They may disagree with the government, but the flag and what it stands for protects their right to disagree. That is worth standing for and showing respect.

You’re severely overestimating how anthem protests affected viewership. It was a factor no doubt but not the main contributor.

Numbers were down slightly due to the fact that people don’t want to pay for cable subsciptions anymore. The NFL does not offer much in the way of streaming so they lost eyeballs.

Couple that with big injuries like Aaron Rodgers and **** matchups in prime time that the NFL refused to flex out and you can see that there are a number of factors to a down year.

Last edited:
An honest question here: Can Jarvis play nice going forward assuming he's retained?

Here's what I mean.

1) It's very likely Grant targets and opportunities are going to increased significantly next season
2) It's likely if Tannehill is the QB he's going to count on Stills for more of the long ball. Picking up where they left off
3) DVP(sigh) likely will benefit from having Tannehill back
4) We know that Drake is going to be more featured too
5) If we can finally get a TE

The point is this all points to Jarvis numbers per target going down from his rookie season.

Will Jarvis play nice and accept that?

Last edited:

That's without a doubt the best take I've read on the anthem protests.

Back
Top Bottom