Rishard Matthews | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rishard Matthews

ive said before with Gibson we have brian hartline 2.0 if we want to go by GB's wr gameplan, all wrs have to be able to play all positions. I hope Matthews becomes a beast. but if Gibson can develop an inside game it makes him multifunctional. we're not gonna be 3 wr sets every play. we'll line Gibson up on the outside at times and have Wallace or hartline in the slot. every wr on roster is supposed to be able to run the "tree" if Matthews contributes than awesome! great diamond in the rough. Gibson is still young and has done more in the league than Matthews. has he hit his ceiling who knows, will Matthews reach his ceiling or can he hit it who knows. no team in the league has ever not signed a player and said ooops. and if we go into the season with a wr of gibsons "caliber" as our 4th WR cause a second year late round pick surplanted him I will have no issues with that. as long as he was supplanted by talent instead of lack of talent. let Gibson ride out the season then good bye. as much as it seems a lot of people hate him on here hes better than Armstrong, naanee or any other scrub in league.

So, you can't comprehend that by adding a player or players, this will make the players we already have a little better. Like having Wallace will open things up and make Hartline a better WR and Keller a better TE. Having both Keller and Wallace and Hartline for that matter, will make Ryan Tannehill a better QB. Our WRs were abysmal last year but, that's why we've added to them. And we a much better WR group today than we were last year. Our entire WR core looks to be a good one now. And that's with Hartline and Gibson.

Not really. Now it's Mike Wallace and some other guys.

How could a player that has done nothing in the NFL be a reason you couldn't get behind Gibson? Makes no sense. Did you or do you know that Matthews will be a dominant player? Do you know something I don't? Gibson allows Matthews to come along at a slower pace. He may not need it but, who knew that when Gibson was signed? No one did. If Matthews is the WR some think he can be, we have one of those good problems to have. Too many good WRs. Right now, Gibson is our #3 WR, not #4 and he earned his money with his play last year.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Why?

Because I was impressed with Matthews last year but he needed to develop. It usually takes WR's about 3 years to make the big breakthrough that their athletic talent suggests. Matthews impressed me in college, impressed me in the preseason last year and I was one of the earliest people stating how he looked better to me than Roberto Wallace, Marlon Moore, or any of the other guys vying for the last spot or two on the roster at WR. When he finally got into a few games, he definitely flashed potential. IMHO, Matthews may be able to back up Wallace at the X, and definitely can fill in at Y and Z. To me, Rishard Matthews just looks like he's going to become a better WR than Gibson in a year or so. It might even happen this year.

Some people bitch when we don't have depth, and turn around and bitch again when we do. Last year we were scrambling to try and find a receiver, Anthony Armstrong, Jabbar Gaffney. Now, it looks like we have may have depth at the position without having to scramble in the event of an injury, and they bitching now..!!

What ever The Dolphins pay these players is irrelevant from a fan stand point because it's not your money. The league has a revenue sharing system and place and they money has to be spent and since it's a passing league, why not sign someone like Gibson. A young emerging player, that just had he's best season, and has yet to reach his peak. Especially when the coach has been screaming about competition, competition. They actually brought in competition for the godam pro-bowl long snapper for Christ Sake!!

Because I was impressed with Matthews last year but he needed to develop. It usually takes WR's about 3 years to make the big breakthrough that their athletic talent suggests. Matthews impressed me in college, impressed me in the preseason last year and I was one of the earliest people stating how he looked better to me than Roberto Wallace, Marlon Moore, or any of the other guys vying for the last spot or two on the roster at WR. When he finally got into a few games, he definitely flashed potential. IMHO, Matthews may be able to back up Wallace at the X, and definitely can fill in at Y and Z. To me, Rishard Matthews just looks like he's going to become a better WR than Gibson in a year or so. It might even happen this year.

Thank you. Pretty much my thoughts. From the preseason alone, he earned more of a shot than Naanee. I hope Matthews makes Gibson expendable sooner rather than later

So, you are willing to bet this season on "It may even happen this year"? We have PROOF of what Gibson can do in the NFL. I happen to personally think our QB is better than STLs QB so, I expect Gibson to be better than what we already know he can do. What do we KNOW about Matthews? I just don't see how you can say you didn't like the Gibson signing because of Matthews. It makes no sense. Even you say "Rishard Matthews just looks like he's going to become a better WR than Gibson in a year or so". In a year....... or so.

You have been paying attention, right?

Yes, we might have something in Matthews and Wallace is definitely legit. However, to say that the entire WR corps (not core) is a good one now based on the addition of two guys, only one of whom is appreciably better than what we had last season, is jumping the gun at the very least. It doesn't suddenly make Hartline better and having five touchdowns last year hardly makes Gibson a superstar.

Yes, we might have something in Matthews and Wallace is definitely legit. However, to say that the entire WR corps (not core) is a good one now based on the addition of two guys, only one of whom is appreciably better than what we had last season, is jumping the gun at the very least. It doesn't suddenly make Hartline better and having five touchdowns last year hardly makes Gibson a superstar.

Last year shouldnt even be the measuring tool for comparison anyways. We had one of the worst groups of receivers in the league. By default, almost any move we made would have improved it.

If having Marshall, Hartline, and Bess wasnt enough weapons for this team, i dont see how Wallace, Hartline, and Gibson will be.

Theres a reason why Gibson, this world shattering player, only got a $9 million total contract(roughly $4 million less then Wallace makes in a single season). Ask Rams fans if they would rather have Gibson, who never hit 700 yards, or Austin/Bailey. See if they think theyve downgraded their receiving unit.

So, you are willing to bet this season on "It may even happen this year"? We have PROOF of what Gibson can do in the NFL. I happen to personally think our QB is better than STLs QB so, I expect Gibson to be better than what we already know he can do. What do we KNOW about Matthews? I just don't see how you can say you didn't like the Gibson signing because of Matthews. It makes no sense. Even you say "Rishard Matthews just looks like he's going to become a better WR than Gibson in a year or so". In a year....... or so.

Proof? He became the primary receiver after Amendola went down on a team who spent the #1 overall draft pick on a good young QB and who had a running game. How many good seasons has your "proof" had? He actually drops the ball a fair amount, but they had no TE and no other receivers so he scored 5 TD's. If he had stayed at St. Louis I seriously doubt he would have scored 5 TD's this year. As it is, he's going to get a lot of chances in Miami because we have no big WR's and only a rookie TE with any size and he sure didn't look like much of a red zone threat in college. So, Gibson has a good chance to repeat his career year. Let's hope he does it. But, don't be surprised if Matthews proves to be the better WR, because while you may not see it ... I see a good amount of ability in Rishard Matthews.

I am wondering why they do not put Hartline in the slot. Great route runner. Smart. Crafty. Then put Gibson or Matthews on the perimeter.

I am wondering why they do not put Hartline in the slot. Great route runner. Smart. Crafty. Then put Gibson or Matthews on the perimeter.

Erm, because he is effective on the outside? And both Hartline and Tannehill are comfortable with him working in that position. Why would we move the only 1 part of our offense that has remained the same?

At Just 25 years old.

Gibson was targeted 75 times on first down or touchdown routes, and he converted 43 times for a 57.33 percent success rate, which was narrowly #1 In the league.

An impressive 43 of Gibson’s 51 catches last year went for first downs, per Stats.com. That 84.3 percent rate was the third-highest in the league behind Vincent Jackson of Tampa Bay and Lance Moore of New Orleans.

Gibson had seven catches with his team facing third and over seven yards, a figure that left him tied for 14th in the league, per Stats.com.

In the last two minutes of the half in 2012, Gibson posted 12 catches (10 for first downs) for 167 yards and a touchdown.

Consider the fact he had so many teams interested him, Vikes, Titans, Jets, and the past contracts of similar players with similar productions, if he's agent didn't get him a salary that was comparable to previous contracts, he should of been Fired..

I've watched every snap of 5 or 6 coaches tapes of Brandon Gibson from 2012. I've also seen that pair of YouTube videos floating around which shows every single catch he had in 2012.

I wasn't impressed with what I saw. It is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom