Rumor: Dolphins and Cowboys talking trade for 12th pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor: Dolphins and Cowboys talking trade for 12th pick

This makes more sense to me than anything.

Why would they have cut Flozell without having a replacement plan in place? Regardless how many penalties he gets a game, a team that is pushing to get back to the NFC Championship or Superbowl doesn't remove a LT without a plan.

Considering Romo IS the franchise, it simply doesn't make sense to leave the most important player's blind side unprotected.

Also, I think some of these moves we are seeing is the result of teams taking every chance to dump overpaid players in the uncapped year.

Looking at their WR corp for a sec, it would make more sense to me if they were to trade Roy Williams (overpaid). Austin and Crayton can hold their own. And if you're preparing to make Austin THE guy, it only makes sense you could move Williams out to clear the way for salary and team chemistry purposes.

I could foresee their 1st, Williams and another pick to get our 1st.

I know ur not saying that u approve of that trade, and that is just what u could see happening but I hope to God we don't get Williams.

Only way I'm ok with that is if we give them our 1st and we get their 1st, 2nd, AND Williams - which would never happen.

That's a Cowboy site and in typical form they're over-valuing all their players. I wouldn't trade back from 12 to 27 for Patrick Crayton and Marion Barber...shoot you can throw in Martellus Bennett and I still wouldn't make the deal.

Now if they wanted to part with DeMarcus Ware, Jason Witten or Miles Austin I'd be fine with that.

O.k guys, let me set this record straight as the information on The Landry Hat is from me.

First of all, whoever said that TLH is a hack site, you don't know what your talking about, they are one of the best Dallas blogs on the internet and the writer is a former sports writer who has covered both the NFL and the MLB.

Now, as for the "rumor". I am the writer for Phinphanatic.com and earlier today I spoke with a friend of mine who knows someone with the Cowboys. He and I were talking and I asked if he heard anything. Here is what I know from him:

The Cowboys have been tossing around internally the possibility of moving up in the draft and he told me that Miami was mentioned as a possible partner. This would be contingent on one of the top safeties falling to the 12 spot (Ken Hamlin had not been released yet).

My first question was if compensation was mentioned and he said not specifically but someone said it would be costly and that someone else said "yes it would". Jerry Jones was in the room at the time.

I asked him if anyone said anything else and in regards to "costly" and he said this:

he wouldn't elaborate but he said that it could be something like a swap of ones, their 1st next year and/or a player and/or a 4th or a 5th and a player. Wouldn't speculate on the player any more than to say "the Phins obviously need a WR." I have ZERO more on the subject from him.

This same guy told me 2 months prior to the trade for Anthony Fasano that the Phins and Boyz' were talking about it and I even made reference to it on my radio show "On the Fin Side". He told me then that Parcells really wanted Fasano.

As for the comments by Dan at TLH regarding Crayton...even I can't imagine Miles Austin being involved however, on my site today I did reference this but not as a rumor but more speculation than anything else and I said that with Austin not having talks with Dallas thus far, maybe he would be the possibility.

Dan is speaking strictly on speculation surrounding what I told him. Nothing more. He did not claim that it was a legit rumor or anything else. You can read what I wrote here: http://phinphanatic.com/2010/04/02/dolphins-safety-issue-close-to-over/

I also Emailed all of the Dolphins Website Webmasters with the information and told them to take it completely with a grain of salt because a lot of things need to happen for that to happen.

Reactions: MD
Oh and for the record, as far as what he told me goes...I would think more of the swap of 1's, a pick next year, a 4th or 5th this year and a player...like maybe Crayton or one of the other depth players. I do not think Miles or Williams would be involved and I don't think that Crayton alone would lessen the pick compensation.

Also, remember that this is not something that has been discussed with the Dolphins as far as I know. He told me that they were simply "Discussing" ideas. So it's a fly on the wall thing. NO Mention of the Dolphins being talked to.

No I don't crayton if we aregoing to trade down that many spots we better be getting this years first this years second and next years first.

This is the time of the year for rumors. So take everything you hear with a grain of salt.
With that said, there are whispers going around that the Dolphins and Cowboys might be talking about a potential trade involving each team's first round picks.
The reason I'm even mentioning these rumors that are starting to swirl is because I'm hearing two different versions from a couple of different sources. With that said, the sources I'm hearing these things from are not "bad" sources. And they don't make things up. The question then becomes if their connections are feeding these guys good information or intentionally supplying "misinformation."
Version one of these trade whispers came about even before the Cowboys released safety Ken Hamlin - which is why this rumor is not hard to believe. Essentially, this first rumor has to do with the Dolphins and Cowboys swapping first round picks in this year's draft (picks 12 and 27 respectively) - with the Cowboys eying up a safety (possibly Texas safety Earl Thomas). Like I said, this one seems believable only because whispers of this potential trade started making the rounds prior to word getting out that Dallas was releasing Ken Hamlin.
The compensation the Dolphins would receive to drop from pick 12 to pick 27 is not clear.
Version two of the Dolphins/Cowboys trade rumor involves both first round picks as well as Cowboys running back Marion Barber. This version seems to be a bit more far-fetched - with the whisper being a swap of the two first round picks and the Dolphins acquiring the Dallas running back.
But again - both rumors are unsubstantiated at this time. With that said, though, I find it hard to doubt that there has at least been some kind of discussion between the Dolphins and the Cowboys. And I say this for two reasons. One - the obvious pipeline that exits between Dallas and Miami stemming from Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, and Tony Sparano. And two - there are two different rumors now floating around. And I've heard these whispers now from four completely different sources.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/4/2/1402973/whispers-of-possible-dolphins

Now the rumor begins to grow legs. Guys believe everything you hear and don't believe nothing. This is month is poker month in the NFL and everything should be taken into account.

If we swap first for Barber we got punked! They want to move up in the first then we need to grab their 2nd and a 5th. Only because the worth wile players like Ware, Whitten, Austin etc are not possible and a injury prone RB, that isn't even a every down back does nothing for our needs!

If we swap first for Barber we got punked! They want to move up in the first then we need to grab their 2nd and a 5th. Only because the worth wile players like Ware, Whitten, Austin etc are not possible and a injury prone RB, that isn't even a every down back does nothing for our needs!

exactly. Unless its for Bennett and their 1st an an extra pick or Austin and their 2nd than this is a BS move.

We lose 15 spots, a couple top notch players for a lame RB that has no game breaking speed so does nothing for our "chunk yards"

exactly. Unless its for Bennett and their 1st an an extra pick or Austin and their 2nd than this is a BS move.

We lose 15 spots, a couple top notch players for a lame RB that has no game breaking speed so does nothing for our "chunk yards"

Yeah really. I like Barber, but we don't really need him. We have three guys that run downhill and knock your teeth out.

All rumors at this point. I have no doubt there have been or continue to be possible trade talks with Dallas and perhaps other teams. JJ seems pretty excited about possibly getting a talent like Dez and I'm sure if our FO is smart, we'll make it worth our while to consider it. Players in this trade would be small in consideration with the picks I assume we'd get. I'm sure they don't even know for sure who or what would be included, but as we get closer, if the interest in Dez goes up, so does our costs!!
:)

I'd take their 1st, next year's first, Martellus Bennett and a 5th rounder for the #12 pick. Seems reasonable, although I'd prefer Miles Austin straight up.

If we get two first rounders for next year we are GOLD. Next year's draft will be LOADED with talent. That would be an excellent move.

This also allows us to upgrade our TE position with some young talent to push Fasano for the starting job. Bennett is a fresh athletically and would be a GREAT redzone target for Henne.

And lastly, we could use that #27 pick to still get the big, physical #1 receiver we need in Demaryius Thomas who should still be available. Or we could get the pass rush help with someone like Everson Griffen. Maybe even an outside shot Earl Thomas slides on draft day, then we get a guy we could possibly have taken at 12. Works for me!

So basically the Cowboys are thinking about trading up, realize it would be costly, and are considering approaching the Dolphins about it.

That's some interesting news. But everyone should keep in mind the interest is originating from the Cowboys, not the Dolphins.

I agree we do have enough downhill RB but I like Barber alot and I would love him but we dont know we may be dealing Ronnie right now. I hope not he is my favorite player but I can see it happening.
If we trade Ronnie for a 1st
Then Trade Smiley for a 4th
Trade Thigpen and Cam for a 3rd
Trade are 1st to Dallas for Marion Barber, 1st, 3rd

Draft
1. Ryan Mathews RB
1. Demaryius Thomas WR
2. Nate Allen FS
3. Thaddeus Gibson OLB
3. Jason Worilds OLB
3. Jimmy Graham TE
4. Linval Joseph NT/Jeff Owens NT
4. Mike Williams WR

No body is giving us a firt for Ronnie Brown. He has broken 1000 yards once and barely. Injured almost every year and followed up Lisnfrac(sp) Surgery with a DUI. The only players we have on our roster that generate a first our Long and Dansby and they aren't going anywhere!

Back
Top Bottom