Rumor: Dolphins and Cowboys talking trade for 12th pick | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor: Dolphins and Cowboys talking trade for 12th pick

No body is giving us a firt for Ronnie Brown. He has broken 1000 yards once and barely. Injured almost every year and followed up Lisnfrac(sp) Surgery with a DUI. The only players we have on our roster that generate a first our Long and Dansby and they aren't going anywhere!

Then if we dont get a first for him I would hate to trade him. I go first or you dont get him. When he is healthy he is a top 5 back.

Then if we dont get a first for him I would hate to trade him. I go first or you dont get him. When he is healthy he is a top 5 back.

He isn't healthy it is what it is! He is worth more to us this yr then the 3rd round pick he will bring. Giving a first round pick for a RB with ACL Surgery and Lisfranc(sp) Surgery would be like paying sticker price for a car that was wreck on a test drive.

Im sure the phins have plenty of offers at the 12th pick. Its all going to depend on who is available. It all the players are gone that we fill is worth the 12th pick and we can get another players that we want a couple of picks back I can see us making swap with another team. The scenario has to be right, its not someone we want to do. If Dez is there at 12 I dont see no way in hell we trading the pick.

I'd take their 1st, next year's first, Martellus Bennett and a 5th rounder for the #12 pick. Seems reasonable, although I'd prefer Miles Austin straight up.

If we get two first rounders for next year we are GOLD. Next year's draft will be LOADED with talent. That would be an excellent move.

This also allows us to upgrade our TE position with some young talent to push Fasano for the starting job. Bennett is a fresh athletically and would be a GREAT redzone target for Henne.

And lastly, we could use that #27 pick to still get the big, physical #1 receiver we need in Demaryius Thomas who should still be available. Or we could get the pass rush help with someone like Everson Griffen. Maybe even an outside shot Earl Thomas slides on draft day, then we get a guy we could possibly have taken at 12. Works for me!

I like it, but i dont think Earl Thomas will last that long, so im going no....................but if we can get someone to bite between 13-20 im all for a trade down.

Trading 1st round picks with Cowboys?

I'm a Cowboys fan and there seems to be a rumor about us swapping first round picks. Any of you guys heard anything about it?

This is the time of the year for rumors. So take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

With that said, there are whispers going around that the Dolphins and Cowboys might be talking about a potential trade involving each team's first round picks.

The reason I'm even mentioning these rumors that are starting to swirl is because I'm hearing two different versions from a couple of different sources. With that said, the sources I'm hearing these things from are not "bad" sources. And they don't make things up. The question then becomes if their connections are feeding these guys good information or intentionally supplying "misinformation."

Version one of these trade whispers came about even before the Cowboys released safety Ken Hamlin - which is why this rumor is not hard to believe. Essentially, this first rumor has to do with the Dolphins and Cowboys swapping first round picks in this year's draft (picks 12 and 27 respectively) - with the Cowboys eying up a safety (possibly Texas safety Earl Thomas). Like I said, this one seems believable only because whispers of this potential trade started making the rounds prior to word getting out that Dallas was releasing Ken Hamlin.

The compensation the Dolphins would receive to drop from pick 12 to pick 27 is not clear.

Version two of the Dolphins/Cowboys trade rumor involves both first round picks as well as Cowboys running back Marion Barber. This version seems to be a bit more far-fetched - with the whisper being a swap of the two first round picks and the Dolphins acquiring the Dallas running back.

But again - both rumors are unsubstantiated at this time. With that said, though, I find it hard to doubt that there has at least been some kind of discussion between the Dolphins and the Cowboys. And I say this for two reasons. One - the obvious pipeline that exits between Dallas and Miami stemming from Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, and Tony Sparano. And two - there are two different rumors now floating around. And I've heard these whispers now from four completely different sources.

Just read this over on Yahoo, from the Dolphins' version of Vela's Blogging the Boys:

I have no idea as to how good this guy is, or how reliable his unnamed sources are (though he seems to think they're credible), I'm just reporting what he wrote... I agree with him that the first scenario makes more sense, simply because I don't think that Barber at this stage of his career would offer Parcells enough value to move down from 12 to 27... but if the Tuna was willing to bite on that bait, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat... I love the Barberian, but the pounding he's received early in his career does seem to have taken its toll on him... I don't know if we'll ever see the same player who gained nearly 1000 yards in part time duty again... of course, that would make another RB a likelihood in the draft (Ben Tate, anyone??)...

I have to say that if the compensation wasn't too much, adding an Earl Thomas to the defensive backfield would be a huge upgrade over Ken Hamlin... the thought of ET and Sensabaugh patrolling the deep secondary (and I think the release of Hamlin makes it far more likely that Gerald will be back) makes feel all warm and fuzzy...

Thoughts??

The trade with Barber is not happening. I think he is due to make 8 million this year. Foolish rumor anyway.

The rumor has been going on for atlest two weeks, at first it was said we want Miles Austin. We'll see what happens.

The rumor has been going on for atlest two weeks, at first it was said we want Miles Austin. We'll see what happens.

If we are giving up only a 1st for Austin then maybe, but anymore then that and we are at a disadvantage because we have way bigger needs that must be filled with a high pick like the 3rd Dallas will want. I love Austin as a player, but parting with a 1st and 3rd hurts the Dolphins to much.

That's a Cowboy site and in typical form they're over-valuing all their players. I wouldn't trade back from 12 to 27 for Patrick Crayton and Marion Barber...shoot you can throw in Martellus Bennett and I still wouldn't make the deal.

Now if they wanted to part with DeMarcus Ware, Jason Witten or Miles Austin I'd be fine with that.
I would trade down for marion barber Martelus Bennett and a 5th great deal.

If the trade goes down just remember how we raped the cowboys in the last trade. Jones has been known for giving up a lot for a players he wants.

IMO, I may be doing our options a disservice by oversimplifying the proposition, but if Bryant is available at 12 and we want a game-changing WR and FS, if we make a trade that exchanges our pick for their 27th, it damn well better include Austin since Earl Thomas won't last til the later part of the 1st round. Getting more picks for hole-filling or depth should be important to us but not at the expense of passing on a potential franchise player such as Dez or Earl. To me, a trade that doesn't assure us getting one of those 3 is not worth making.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, I may be doing our options a disservice by oversimplifying the proposition, but if Bryant is available at 12 and we want a game-changing WR and FS, if we make a trade that exchanges our pick for their 27th, it damn well better include Austin since Earl Thomas won't last til the later part of the 1st round. Getting more picks for hole-filling or depth should be important to us but not at the expense of passing on a potential franchise player such as Dez or Earl. To me, a trade that doesn't assure us getting one of those 3 is not worth making.

Arrelius Benn, Golden Tate & Demaryrius Thomas could be there at 27. Nate Allen a safety the Fins coached at the Senior Bowl can also be there, one of the better ones in this draft.

thats what im talking about, if they want our #12 they beter give up a lot..................

I would trade down for marion barber Martelus Bennett and a 5th great deal.

The only way I say no to this idea for sure is if Dez Bryant is still on the board when Miami picks. If he's gone (and no surprise players like Berry fell to our spot) then I think your suggested trade would be a decent one.

However....

That leaves the question of what to do with Brown and/or Williams? Adding a back like Barber III is just adding another clone of the HBs we already have in place. Outside of Sheets, we don't have a runner that fits the 'change of pace back' mold and is a fast/agile slasher. Barber is like Brown/Williams/Hilliard etc in that he is a powerful back that runs through people rather than around them. If Miami made a trade like the one you suggested, they would HAVE to do something with at least one of our running backs (Ronnie for a late 1st/early 2nd round pick?). If they just added Barber and didn't do anything with the other RBs, then this would be a bad trade.

On the plus side, adding a player like M. Bennett would give us a 'stretch the field' pass-catching TE we've needed since David Martin got injured. The loss of Martin last year was noticeable and he would have been a welcomed element to the offense. Getting a guy like Bennett who is still young and has a lot of potential would be a good move.

The 5th rounder would make up for the loss of ours to KC (Thigpen trade). Maybe we could milk Dallas for more...:d-day:

Back
Top Bottom